+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fun Foods For Kids

Fun Foods For Kids

Getting kids to eat the good stuff isn't always easy. I'm always looking for new creative ways to get my kids to eat.

With Halloween around the corner, I added green food coloring to mashed potatoes tonight(Monster Mash Potatoes ). My girls loved them but my son was a little weirded out by the color. I remembered Mashed Potato Caterpillars that I'd seen in a magazine recently and changed it up a bit...he loved it!

Mashy Smashy Snakes

How creative have you gotten with meals for your kids? What are some things you serve that your kids are crazy about?
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

MRD

Re: Fun Foods For Kids

Lildago, that is so cool. I may have to do that for dinner on Fri. even though mine is now 17.

ETA: We had mashed potatos tonight and now I'm bumming because mine didn't look like green scary snakes. But it did remind me that I saw that Michael guy on the Food network today make mashed potatos with pureed peas in them and they were green and actually looked pretty good. I may try that as my family still doesn't like vegetables much.

I used to serve my 3-4 year old food in an ice cube tray. I would put a square of cheese, an olive, a few raisens, some cut up lunch meat. Basically each cube of the tray had something different in it. She was a very, very, very picky eater, and she loved having a whole tray of different stuff. And it wasn't that hard to make either. It also helped that we went to a wedding and she fell in LOVE with the fancy toothpicks with the curly cellophane on them and would eat anything if it was stuck on one of those. I really think that the entire year she was 4, she ate everything from a toothpick. I know, sounds dangeous, but she was supervised and more importantly, she would eat. (I got a real dressing down from her dr. because she was underweight. I was in tears trying to tell him that it wasn't that I wasn't feeding her, it was that she wouldn't eat. She has since made up for that. But she's still incredibly picky)
    Last edited by MRD; 10-27-2008 at 09:20 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Lil, I don't have any recipes, but didn't Jessica Seinfeld write a cookbook focusing on this a while back? I seem to remember seeing her on some talk show where she talked about creating recipes that were healthy, but that her kids would eat. Sounded like a good thing.

When I was a kid, all I wanted for lunch was bologna and American cheese (no bread). My mom used to cut it up and make faces with it on my plate every day. I can't imagine how she kept coming up with new "faces" every day!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I used to make "sailboat sandwiches" for my kids when they were little. Seemed they would eat whatever kind of sandwich I made, as long as it was in the shape of a sailboat.

I would put a sandwich together, then make a diagonal cut on both the upper right and left sides. Then about 1/2 inch up from the bottom, I would cut in from each side about an inch. It sort of looked like a sailboat, hence the name.

Since that went over so well, I would also make sandwiches in the shapes of a house, a Christmas tree, really anything that I could think up that was doable.

Many moons ago, I saw a recipe for "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" sandwiches in some magazine and had to try them! Using wheat bread, I made a PBJ (or maybe it was just peanut butter, it's been so long!). Cut the sandwich in half diagonally and set it up so that the long diagonal cut is at the top. Then put two raisins on the top slice of bread for the eyes and a red M&M for the nose. Then stick some pretzel sticks up on the top, to look like antlers, between the two slices of bread and into the peanut butter. The kids loved them!

My son must have told his teacher about these sandwiches because she asked if I could make some and bring them in for the Christmas party. I doubt that would be allowed nowadays, due to peanut allergies.

Now I chuckle when my son and his daughter are up at my house and he asks if I can make a "sailboat sandwich!"

I guess the common theme here is presenting regular food in a fun way. When we have the standard "meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and green beans" meal, I use a muffin tin for the meatloaf mix (saves about half the cooking time) and for the kids' servings use a baggie to pipe on some potatoes like frosting and stick in a green bean candle so it looks like a cupcake. My kids won't eat sandwiches, but they will eat everything unassembled - some toast or tortilla triangles, cubed cheese, and deli meat rolled into little tubes - all arranged in separate groups on a plate. I may try some of your sandwich shape ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3224204;
    I used to serve my 3-4 year old food in an ice cube tray. I would put a square of cheese, an olive, a few raisens, some cut up lunch meat. Basically each cube of the tray had something different in it.
    Reading this reminded me of a family that I babysat for when I was in college. The mother was wary of jarred baby foods beacause of the additives. This was the mid '80's before the rest of the world caught on to eating organic. She would make her own baby food in the blender or food processor and freeze them in ice cube trays. When it came time to feed the baby she would simply take out a cube of meat and a cube of veggie and heat.
    CYA

I did that with my kids....they were born in '82, '84, and 91.

One of my friends had a baby in '80 and she did up her own baby food; I am pretty sure that is where I got the idea from....it's been so long, I don't remember if it was her or someone else!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;3231172;
    Reading this reminded me of a family that I babysat for when I was in college. The mother was wary of jarred baby foods beacause of the additives. This was the mid '80's before the rest of the world caught on to eating organic. She would make her own baby food in the blender or food processor and freeze them in ice cube trays. When it came time to feed the baby she would simply take out a cube of meat and a cube of veggie and heat.
    I did that with my daughter too. It was easy, convienient, better for her and best of all: WAY cheaper than buying jars of baby food. I do reccomend, however, buying prunes. My daughter needed prunes, let's leave it at that. I tried to make my own babyfood and reconstituted prunes with hot water and then tried to food process them. Let's say I ended up with something that was more like road tar. So I did buy baby food prunes.

I actually recieved a baby food cookbook called "Feed me I'm yours" and that's where I got the idea. I still have it. I am going to save it and give it to my daughter one day when she has a baby.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I used to see mang interesting food made in Japan.

Kids are more fond of the shape and color of the food rather than the taste.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast