+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fun Foods For Kids

MRD

Re: Fun Foods For Kids

Pig cookies.
    Round sugar cookies decorated with pink frosting. Half a marshmellow for a snout and chocolate chips for eyes and fruit rollups cut into triangles for the ears.

I also made mouse cookies for Christmas one year. Peanut butter cookies shaped like a mouse body with peanut half ears, a licorace tail and frosting "dots" for eyes
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FoRTer

*bump*
    There are a couple of things my kids ask for often, and they're simple and easy to make, so I thought I'd post them here:

1)zucchini fritters - grate 3 medium zucchinis, squeeze as dry as possible; mix in 1/2 tablespoon of salt, a tablespoon of yogurt, and an egg, then slowly add enough bisquick to create a "batter" (usually takes less than 2 cups); drop by rounded spoonfuls into hot oil and fry 2-4 minutes/side until lightly browned. Hubby and I like tzatziki sauce for dipping, but the kids love them just plain.

2)chicken nuggets - cut 2 lbs. of chicken breasts into nugget-sized pieces; dip pieces first in melted butter (about 1/2 stick- mixed with a dash of worcestershire sauce), then in cracker crumbs (about 1/2 sleeve wheat ritz crackers, 1/3 cup grated parmesan, and a few shakes of garlic salt and chili powder - mixed in the food processor or crushed and mixed in a quart zip-baggie... if you use a baggie, just drop the buttered pieces in there and shake); at this point you can put the coated pieces on a cookie sheet to freeze and then bag for later, or you can bake them on the cookie sheet at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until cooked through (if frozen allow a bit longer baking time). This is an easy recipe to play around with - use cornmeal instead of crushed crackers, omit or use different seasonings, etc... based on your children's or family's tastes.
    Last edited by coltnlasma; 06-23-2011 at 06:25 PM.

My daughter sends me recipe ideas she thinks I'd like and she sent me this one because she thinks I'm crazy and would like the idea. She's right... I can't stop laughing about it. You slice up hot dogs and take 2 or 3 slices and pierce them with 2 or 3 pieces of uncooked spaghetti. Think skewers. Then you boil them. I would think you would need to boil extra spaghetti because the hotdog/spaghetti ratio isn't very high, but maybe that's not the point. I don't know why, but this just cracks me up no end. I'd love to hear if anyone tries this and what your kids thought.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    My daughter sends me recipe ideas she thinks I'd like and she sent me this one because she thinks I'm crazy and would like the idea. She's right... I can't stop laughing about it. You slice up hot dogs and take 2 or 3 slices and pierce them with 2 or 3 pieces of uncooked spaghetti. Think skewers. Then you boil them. I would think you would need to boil extra spaghetti because the hotdog/spaghetti ratio isn't very high, but maybe that's not the point. I don't know why, but this just cracks me up no end. I'd love to hear if anyone tries this and what your kids thought.
    That sounds weirdly fun. I don't have kids, but I want to try it.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I friend of mine tried this a while back and her kids loved it! She boiled more spaghetti and served it all with chili and a bit of cheese on top. I have to admit, just typing that is making me hungry!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

She just sent me a picture, and it's more like 10 pieces of spaghetti per one chunk of hotdog, but I think you could interpret the concept however you (or your kids!) want. Let them poke the spaghetti through the hot dog pieces. The photo was even funnier than I was imagining it.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_la...c1rpo1_500.jpg
    Count your blessings!

I'm a Nutrition Nazi as far as my kids are concerned. However, once I did something I saw in a magazine...they howled with laughter! Cook spaghetti (or noodles) and add green food color while it's cooking to give it a nice "color." In another pot, have water boiling, take hot dogs and make vertical slices with a knife 3/4 of the way up the hotdog (try to get 8), drop them in the boiling water and cook. The "legs" will curl up leaving the top intact. Place them on the green pasta/noodles. Take mustard and make eye dots and a smile on the whole portion of the hot dog - it looks like an octopus sitting on seaweed! They still talk about that one (this photo shows no pasta, just beans with a ketchup smiley face). It's fun and SO easy

MyDinner.jpg

If your kids will eat greens, that would be King - and if they do, let me know your secret
    Last edited by SugarMama; 06-26-2011 at 10:53 PM.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123