+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Holiday baking

Re: Holiday baking

Quote Originally Posted by SR5Rfan;3239180;
    Canuck - thank you for the butter tart recipe! I have been considering trying out my mom's old recipe (which is actually just a list of ingredients without temps or cooking times) and this will really help! There are a few differences though - she didn't have corn syrup written down, but has milk instead. And she always added coconut ... I think the syrup sounds more logical than milk. I just might HAVE to try making these now!

Oh - and a couple years ago my son ordered them from a Canadian company called Dee's, and they were pretty good. Unfortunately, between the minimum order and the shipping charges they were kind of pricey.
    No problem, and I hope you enjoy them. The milk thing sounds odd to me, but you never know Buttertarts are such a Canadian treat that Costco sells them by the trays, and when we were in Chile, a friend of mine made every visiting Canadian bring some down. We're purists at heart and corn syrup, raisins are a must. We'll let people get away with a few walnuts

Well, seeing as mom didn't usually write down her recipes (she was a "add this until it looks right" kind of cook) the milk may have been an error. Since she made them every year we didn't need to have them "imported". We did, however, always look forward to the Coffee Crisps my aunt would send us!

I think I may experiment with the tarts next weekend. I'll post if I get brave enough to try them.
    I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like.

I have a recipe that I make every year for Cranberry Almond bread that is a family favorite. I won't be able to make it for Thanksgiving, but will definitely make it for Christmas. It is pretty simple - but the hard part is waiting 12 hours before digging in. You absolutely MUST wait 12 hours before slicing it.

Cranberry Almond Bread

2 C. flour
    3/4 C. sugar
    2 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp salt
    1 egg
    1/4 C. milk
    1/2 C. melted butter
    1 1/2 tsp almond extract
    1 cup cranberries (fresh or frozen)
    -- coarsely chopped
    ----------------------------------------
    1 Tbsp sugar
    1/4 C sliced almonds

Preheat oven to 350, and grease loaf pan. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Whisk together egg, milk, butter, and almond extract in another bowl. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, mixing just until moist. Fold in cranberries. Spread batter into pan. Sprinkle with sugar and almonds. Bake for about 1 hour, or until bread tests done. Cool, then wrap in foil, and wait 12 hours before slicing.

I will warn you that 1 loaf is never enough. I have also made this into mini loaves for cookie platters at Christmas.

MRD

12 hours? What happens if you don't? Do the Margaritaville family police come and arrest us?

You can't seriously post a recipe and then say wait 12 hours before you can eat it.

Now I need to know why you have to wait.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

That bread looks excellent. I'm going to try it. Question: Are we talking about the raw, hard cranberries (we can buy them in a bag here in the produce dept. and then you stew them for cranberry sauce)? Do you need to cook them so they are soft? I'm thinking you would, or maybe the chopping takes care of that. And one more question Could you use the dried cranberry bits you buy at Costco?? My mom is coming for Christmas and I can tell she would love that bread!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3239628;
    12 hours? What happens if you don't? Do the Margaritaville family police come and arrest us?

You can't seriously post a recipe and then say wait 12 hours before you can eat it.

Now I need to know why you have to wait.

I warned you guys that part sucks! I don't know the chemistry of it, but it just isn't right unless it has sat for the 12 hrs. Besides the fact that it falls completely apart - it just isn't "right". Could I be more vague? Maybe less clear? Trust me - it is so worth the wait.

That bread looks excellent. I'm going to try it. Question: Are we talking about the raw, hard cranberries (we can buy them in a bag here in the produce dept. and then you stew them for cranberry sauce)? Do you need to cook them so they are soft? I'm thinking you would, or maybe the chopping takes care of that. And one more question Could you use the dried cranberry bits you buy at Costco?? My mom is coming for Christmas and I can tell she would love that bread!
    I have only used the raw cranberries that you get in the produce section - and they work really well. They soften quite well in the oven if you don't chop them too coarsly. I'm sure you could use the dried cranberries, but it wouldn't be the same texture in the finished product. The fresh cranberries transform really well when baked in this bread.

I just put Pioneer Woman's Pecan Pie in the oven. I will let you know how it turns out - and post it if it is a success.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaville;3239715;
    I warned you guys that part sucks! I don't know the chemistry of it, but it just isn't right unless it has sat for the 12 hrs. Besides the fact that it falls completely apart - it just isn't "right". Could I be more vague? Maybe less clear? Trust me - it is so worth the wait.
    You were clear as mud.

I'd have to hide it as I'm sure no one around here would wait.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I'm going to try the Cranberry Almond bread today. I always give baked goods to several friends as Christmas gifts and this looks like it would be so good. I'll have to hide it though, because my husband doesn't know the meaning of "do not slice for 12 hours".

Good luck, guys!! I have a hard time convincing the family to leave it alone as well.

Margaritaville, you must share a slice of your pecan pie!!
    Yup, with donuts!!

+ Reply to Thread