+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627

Thread: Holiday baking

Re: Holiday baking

I have a fruitcake recipe that my mother has had ever since I can remember and it only has raisins, diced orange slices and nuts in it and I made it this year and it is so good. My mother has alzheimers and doesn't cook anymore and that is the one thing she made every year and my taste buds were craving it this year. I like it because it doesn't have so many of the jellied fruits in it you get more cake.

I have two kinds that I like to make. One dark and one light. And you're right having control over what goes in it! I hate commercially made cakes because there is too much stuff in it! Its not hard to make at all but you have to do it in November so they can "age". I dont know what thats about.....

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey;4134953;
    I have two kinds that I like to make. One dark and one light. And you're right having control over what goes in it! I hate commercially made cakes because there is too much stuff in it! Its not hard to make at all but you have to do it in November so they can "age". I dont know what thats about.....

"Ageing" a fruit cake means pouring some brandy on it and letting it soak in for a while. Or that is the way I remember it..............

Brandy, hmmm, maybe thats why my cakes had so little appeal. I'll try that next year. And so far the birds have turned their beaks up at my cake and so have the other wildlife out there!

Help! I made some whipped frosting for cupcakes using milk, heavy whipping cream, vanilla, and a box of vanilla pudding. Its way too runny. Any ideas? I whipped it with my stand up mixer for what seems like forever and it never thickened. I have 1/2 in the freezer and the other half in the fridge but neither one is getting "thick". Any ideas appreciated. Thanks!

Maybe some icing sugar would help. Put in half a cup at a time to see how much it thickens.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Columbia, MD;4135045;
    "Ageing" a fruit cake means pouring some brandy on it and letting it soak in for a while. Or that is the way I remember it..............
    Oh yeah. My grandmother used to make a HUGE one before Thanksgiving. That thing had to weigh 5 pounds. She had cotton dishcloths that were only for the fruitcake. She soaked them in Brandy and wrapped it up and put it in the back of the pantry. That thing got a regular dose of Brandy, so it was potent by Christmas and very moist. Us kids were only allowed a little bit of it.

Fruitcake freezes well. I don't like it, but I have a friend that does and she makes one and then slices and freezes it to have throughout the year. She's the only one in her house that eats it too.

I just can't stand that candied fruit that goes in it. The red and green cherries--yuck! But some of the other fruit you guys have talked about sound good.

You can order Claxton Fruitcakes online,
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini;4134854;
    I made MRD's mac and cheese tonight...it was a hit :-) I did make a few changes...I omitted the salt (I have to watch my salt intake and the cheese is salty) and I added fresh nutmeg and a few other spices. My husband had two huge servings :-)
    We added a little nutmeg, too, and a bit of Coleman's dry mustard - just pinches. We used a 1/2 tsp. of sea salt, and some white pepper. But I think this recipe would rock without any of that.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by PGM35;4135100;
    Help! I made some whipped frosting for cupcakes using milk, heavy whipping cream, vanilla, and a box of vanilla pudding. Its way too runny. Any ideas? I whipped it with my stand up mixer for what seems like forever and it never thickened. I have 1/2 in the freezer and the other half in the fridge but neither one is getting "thick". Any ideas appreciated. Thanks!
    Take part of what's in the fridge, and whip it with cream cheese or butter, along with powdered sugar until you get the consistency you like.

Or use the runny stuff and call it a "glaze" -- who's to know it's not supposed to be that way?
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I found these cookies in an email; Wintermint Wafers, Wisconsin Cheese Information from the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board. Just type in Wintermint Wafers in recipes. They taste like Girl Scout Mint Cookies. I changed the recipe for the coating. I use 2 bags of mint morsels, 1 bag of chocolate morsels and 1 bag of semi-sweet morsels. I cut the cookies in small 1 1/2" rounds. Don't over bake, they burn easily and I only baked for the recommended time. They are time consuming but taste wonderful.

+ Reply to Thread