+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Holiday baking

Re: Holiday baking

I'm a southern boy. Of course I like fruitcake.

My husband loves fruitcake and he was born here in Cali. I personally cannot eat it, makes my tummy hurt but he sure does love it.
    Yup, with donuts!!

I always do a lot of cookie baking around the holidays. As a kid, my aunt always did the same. Her Butterballs have always been my favorite! Now I do them for my own kids.

Butterballs

1 cup butter
    1/2 cup powdered sugar
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    1 3/4 cup flour
    1/2 cup chopped pecans
    Extra powdered sugar to roll cookies in

Cream together butter and powdered sugar, then mix in other ingredients. Chill for a couple hours. Roll into 1 inch balls and bake on an ungreased cookie sheets for 20 minutes at 350 F. Watch carefully so bottoms don't burn. Roll cookies in powdered sugar while still warm.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by lildago;3219001;
    I always do a lot of cookie baking around the holidays. As a kid, my aunt always did the same. Her Butterballs have always been my favorite! Now I do them for my own kids.

Butterballs

1 cup butter
    1/2 cup powdered sugar
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    1 3/4 cup flour
    1/2 cup chopped pecans
    Extra powdered sugar to roll cookies in

Cream together butter and powdered sugar, then mix in other ingredients. Chill for a couple hours. Roll into 1 inch balls and bake on an ungreased cookie sheets for 20 minutes at 350 F. Watch carefully so bottoms don't burn. Roll cookies in powdered sugar while still warm.
    We make the same cookies here, lil.

I can remember making them as a child only we used to call them Russian Teaballs.

Last year or the year before, on Live with Regis and Kelly, Kelly had her kids out on stage making them for Christmas. Only she called them Mexican Wedding Cookies.

Same recipe, all these different names!

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;3219212;
    We make the same cookies here, lil.

I can remember making them as a child only we used to call them Russian Teaballs.

Last year or the year before, on Live with Regis and Kelly, Kelly had her kids out on stage making them for Christmas. Only she called them Mexican Wedding Cookies.

Same recipe, all these different names!
    Mexican Wedding Cakes here!!!!
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

We call them Russian Tea Cakes in my family.

I found a new recipe for them a couple of years ago in Bon Appetit, you put dried fruit (I use cranberries) in them. It makes them really yummy and changes them up a bit. At Christmas, I usually make a batch of the new and one of the old. These are one of my favorite cookies to make because they are so easy.

I always make Nanaimo bars and Lemon Curd (to put in tart shells with whip cream). I usually do butter tarts or a butter tart square.

Quote Originally Posted by veejer;3219229;
    Mexican Wedding Cakes here!!!!

I think Kelly did call them Mexican Wedding Cakes too, and I just goofed.

While I was making dinner tonight, I looked through my recipe box and found my original recipe for the Russian Tea Balls.....written in my 4th grade handwriting!

That's so cute MamaC. I love finding stuff like that. I have one recipe on which my now college-age daughter wrote the word "cookie" in red felt pen when she was 5. It makes me smile every time I see it.

To the Point

I make a load of different cookies during the holidays. I'll have to pull them out and share a few.

Okay, Canuckinchili, you can't just share these names: Nanaimo bars and Lemon Curd (to put in tart shells with whip cream), butter tarts or a butter tart square. You have to share the recipes!!

+ Reply to Thread