+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 47 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Anyone got a recipe for...

Re: Anyone got a recipe for...

Done.....it's in the just recipes thread
    CYA

Here's the Shepherd's Pie recipe I use. I got it from a recipe blog a couple years ago.

Olive Oil
    Black Pepper
    1 lb ground beef (I think the original recipe calls for lamb. Ick!)
    1 large onion, finely diced
    3-4 large carrots, finely diced
    1 large cup frozen peas
    3-4 sprigs fresh thyme, finely chopped
    2 tbsp flour
    1 tbsp butter
    1 large glass red wine(for the pie, not the cook )
    2 tbsp tomato paste or 3 tbsp ketchup
    2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
    1 cup chicken stock
    Large quantity mashed potatoes (estimating 6 cups, fresh or leftover)
    1 egg, beaten
    Grated Parmesan Cheese (optional)

Preheat oven to 400F. Saute carrots in the olive oil until starting to get tender. Add in the onions and saute for a minute or two then add the meat. Season with black pepper and thyme. Cook until browned then drain fat. Add the butter and peas. Sprinkle with flour and stir through. Add tomato paste, wine and Worcestershire sauce. Let this reduce slightly then add the chicken stock. Allow to reduce down until you have a thick meaty gravy. Season to your taste.

Remove from heat. Grease an oven proof dish(9x13 works for me) with butter and add the sauce. Spoon or pipe the mashed potatoes over top. Brush with egg and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese(My mom uses grated cheddar cheese on hers).

Bake for about 20 minutes or until the potato is browned on top.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

1 large glass red wine(for the pie, not the cook )
    Maybe the glass is for the pie, but what about the rest of the bottle.......

And the reason it's called Shepherd's pie is because it's made with lamb (i.e. sheep), although I make it with either lamb or beef as well. My mother used to grind up leftover lamb or roast (using an old meat grinder that attached to the corner of the table) to make her shepherd's pie, and she used corn as the vegetable rather than peas and carrots.
    Last edited by brierpatch; 12-01-2008 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3242687;
    Here's a basic one. The thing about chili is that you have to tinker with it. YOu can add more of this, less of that. My family isn't that crazy about the beans, so I add less beans and step up the hamburger. You can make it with cubed beef instead of hamburger, or add ground turkey or even sausage. I use one can of Rotel canned tomatos and chilis along with a regular can of diced tomatos.
    I also have put beer in mine before.

And I cook, taste and adjust while it's simmering too.

Ingredients
    1 medium onion, chopped
    3 to 4 cloves garlic, sliced
    2 pounds ground beef
    1 tablespoon salt
    1 tablespoons chili powder
    1 tsp. (or more for heat) cayenne pepper
    2 (15-ounce) cans tomato sauce
    2 (15-ounce) cans stewed tomatoes (I substitute one can of Rotel tomatos and chili's)
    2 (15-ounce) cans chili beans (usually kidney's, but we like Pinto's instead)
    2 cups tomato juice
    2 to 3 bay leaves
    Directions
    In a large pot, saute the onion and garlic. Add the ground beef, salt and chili powder and cook until the meat is browned. Then add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Simmer on low for 1 to 2 hours and then remove the bay leaves.
    Thank you, mrd. Will have to try this one!
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Two chili recipes--one using ready made chili pewder and ground beef...you can sub more ground meat for the beans if you want. Note that the amount of chili powder is NOT a typo--good chili has a lot of chili powder, or it's not the real thing!

1 lb. browned lean ground beef or venison
    1 15 oz. can any type bean/with liquid (red, pinto, black, kidney, etc.)
    YOU CAN MIX AND MATCH, IT IS GOOD TO PLAY WITH YOUR FOOD!!!
    1 15 oz. can chopped tomatoes/with liquid
    1/2 to 1 cup chopped onion, or more if you are an onion fan like me
    1/2 cup water
    1 tsp. of mexican oregano, or the regular oregano if you don't have te Mexican kind
    1 tsp. garlic powder
    1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
    3 tbsp. chili powder
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper if you like, or if you are not using 'hot' chili powder

Mix all together, and simmer for at least four hours, very low. Or throw all in slow cooker, and cook all day on low. !

This one has cubed meat and a custom mix of spices....

Texas Red

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 large onions, coarsely chopped
    5 cloves garlic, crushed
    2 pounds lean boneless beef, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (2 to 2 1/2)
    3 tablespoons chili powder
    1 tablespoon paprika
    1 teaspoon crushed dried hot peppers
    2 teaspoons cumin
    2 teaspoons Mexican oregano
    1 cup hot water
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon Masa Harina (1 to 2)
    1. In a large Dutch oven heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté until very lightly browned.

2. Add the beef cubes in several batches and brown on all sides. When all the beef is browned, add all remaining ingredients except the Masa Harina®. Bring to a simmer, then cover and cook over low heat for 3 to 4 hours until the meat is very tender. If too much of the liquid cooks away, add some more hot water during the cooking. Adjust salt and chili powder, adding more to taste if desired.

3. To thicken the chili, mix the Masa Harina® with a little cold water, then add this to the chili while it is still simmering. Cook the chili 10 to 15 minutes longer.

4. Serve the chili in bowls with saltines and cooked pinto beans on the side.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD

Butternut squash soup. Or butternut squash and apple soup. I am in love with the new Campbell's V8 Butternut squash soup and this weekend, I discovered Fresh Market's squash and apple soup.

I would like to try to make some, but believe it or not, I've never even cooked a butternut squash and don't know exactly how.

Anyone have a recipe? I'd like to try my own hand at this as Fresh Market is really expensive and the Campbell's ones aren't cheap either.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Here's my husband's recipe for butternut squash soup. It would be easy to modify it for butternut squash and apple by substituting apple cider for some of the liquid (broth, water, wine), and/or throwing in some peeled and diced Granny Smith apples in with the squash. I'd also add freshly grated (not already ground in the spice jar stuff!) nutmeg as well. We had this as the starter for Thanksgiving dinner:
    ============================== =
    Butternut Squash Soup
    Ingredients
    3 tablespoons butter
    1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
    2 garlic cloves, sliced
    1/2 teaspoon thyme
    1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    coarse salt (amount varies; taste soup when adding salt)
    1 large butternut squash (about 4 pounds), peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes
    1 can (14.5 ounces) low-sodium chicken broth
    1 cup half-and-half
    2 cups water
    1 cup dry white wine
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    sour cream (optional, for serving)

Preparation
    In a large saucepan, heat butter (over medium heat). Add onion, garlic, thyme, cinnamon, and cayenne. Season with salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened (5 - 7 minutes).

Add squash, broth, half-and-half, water and wine. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, and cook until squash is tender (about 20 minutes).

Working in batches (little by little -- not all of the soup mixture at one time), purée squash soup mixture in a blender until smooth. Add lemon juice and stir. Season again with salt as needed. If desired, soup can be garnished with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of cayenne.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

A question about the butternut squash. I cooked some in a dish for the first time this fall. It was cut into cubes and roasted. It was so hard to peel I thought I was going to take my hand off. I used a paring knife and kind of carved off the peel. Is this how its done? The recipe I used was the cubed squash, apple, and fresh cranberries roasted with a little bit of honey. Super yum stuff, but the butternut prep was killer.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

MRD

That's a good question Livin. If I'm going to make the soup, I need to know how to prep and cook the squash.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3247245;
    That's a good question Livin. If I'm going to make the soup, I need to know how to prep and cook the squash.
    Okay -- checked with the hubster:
    He said that when he made the soup, he just cut the raw squash (with a good sharp knife -- a regular chef's knife) in half and scooped out the seeds. Then cut the halves in half so that they were in biggish but workable pieces. After that, he trimmed off the outside -- sort of like what you do with a melon rind. Then he cubed it and threw the raw cubes into the soup stuff to simmer, soften, and purée, etc.

Hope this helps!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

+ Reply to Thread