+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 47 FirstFirst ... 333435363738394041424344454647 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Anyone got a recipe for...

Re: Anyone got a recipe for...

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Non-cook question: How do onions look "starchy"?
    Beats me. I ignore the weird descriptions.
    For cauliflower soup, I cook the onions until they are "wiggly," but not yet brown. However, if I get distracted and the onions cook until brown (caramelized), they're still good (maybe not for folks who are fussy about color, but the taste is great!). The important thing is for the onions to get soft enough so that they blend well with the stick blender.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Non-cook question: How do onions look "starchy"?
    Darned if I know. I'm still trying to figure out how anyone could describe an onion as "sweet". I've tasted a lot of onions in my time & none of them has tasted remotely sweet. They tast onioney! An entirely different taste.
    To me "sweet" means like sugar.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

OK, interesting. I've tasted "sweet" in an onion before. Science says we all taste differently...and I'm not talking about when the cannibals are preparing us as "dinner stew". Our tastebuds pick up different things.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

OK, interesting. I've tasted "sweet" in an onion before. Science says we all taste differently...and I'm not talking about when the cannibals are preparing us as "dinner stew". Our tastebuds pick up different things.
    That's a good explaination. When someone tries to explain a taste it never seems the same to the one hearing it. That's probably why. It also explains why one person will love a taste & another hate it.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Onions carmelized will take on sweeter taste.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

There is such a thing as a "super-taster", and I am not one!

I remember seeing this elderly lady sitting in a restaurant holding and eating an onion like it was an apple. Blew me away! I think it was a white onion. Can't imagine what she was tasting but, evidently, she liked it. I've only seen that once.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I have friend who likes them raw. Not me.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

I love them raw on sandwiches, in salads....I love them cooked. I just like the onion taste, but not like that lady liked them. I saw that when I was a senior in high school and have never forgotten it. I tried not to stare.

I love cheese and onion sandwiches. My great grandmother always ate them raw. I didn't know any different, and I don't think that my GG had a cold in her life( but then she also liked her Guinness)
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Who has a really good, simple chili recipe? (Thought I'd better come up with a thread topic before we get into trouble!)

+ Reply to Thread