+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 47 FirstFirst ... 32333435363738394041424344454647 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Anyone got a recipe for...

Re: Anyone got a recipe for...

I love Reuben sandwiches. I'm going to try this. Thanks for sharing EMC.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

You're very welcome, inthegarden.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Ta Daaaaa!!! I found it! I've finally learned to go to the "What's New" section. Makes life very easy!
    Eastcoastmom likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    Some have expressed an interest in a recipe for a Reuben casserole so here it is:

REUBEN CASSEROLE

- 10 slices toasted Rye bread, cubed
    - 1 1/2 pounds of cooked corned beef, shredded
    - Swiss cheese
    - 6 eggs, lightly beaten
    - 2 1/2 cups milk
    - 1 can sauerkraut, drained
    - Pepper to taste

Grease pan.
    Layer bread, corned beef, sauerkraut, cheese (the cheese layer goes on top).
    Pour egg, milk and pepper mixture over all.
    Refrigerate overnight.
    Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes covered and then another 10 minutes uncovered.
    Thanks ECM

I am going to try that and also use ithe proportions to help concoct a Monte Christo casserole.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    Some have expressed an interest in a recipe for a Reuben casserole so here it is:
    That sounds really good :-) We're all traveling this week at different times (hubby leaves tomorrow night until Saturday morning, kid and I leave Thursday morning until next Tuesday morning, hubby leaves again that Monday until Saturday again), so I won't be able to try it for a couple of weeks. (It's silly to make a casserole for just my son and me...it would be the only thing we eat for the better part of a week!)

I like the idea of trying it for a Monte Christo, too. Great wintertime ideas!

A couple of weeks ago, I made cauliflower puree. Last week, I made butternut squash puree. Yum :-)

The trick, as I learned with the cauliflower puree, is to steam the veggies until fork-tender. Drain, and then pour them onto a baking sheet. Put them in a 350F oven for about 10 minutes so that the water evaporates.

Then put the veggies in a blender and add warmed milk with butter. (I start with 1/2 cup of milk and 2 tablespoons of butter...just pop into the microwave for a minute or less so that the milk warms and the butter melts.) Then blend, taste, adjust seasonings, add more liquid if necessary.

This can also be frozen, although if I'm going to freeze it, I puree it with about a half cup of water, then put it in a strainer overnight so that the water drains out. Put it in a freezer bag, flatten it out, and pop in the freezer. When you thaw it, you can add the milk and butter.

(Just in case anyone else has an abundance of butternut squashes and cauliflower like me :-) My CSA now has winter veggies, so my kitchen looks like a root cellar.)
    inthegarden likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    A couple of weeks ago, I made cauliflower puree. Last week, I made butternut squash puree. Yum :-)

The trick, as I learned with the cauliflower puree, is to steam the veggies until fork-tender. Drain, and then pour them onto a baking sheet. Put them in a 350F oven for about 10 minutes so that the water evaporates.

Then put the veggies in a blender and add warmed milk with butter. (I start with 1/2 cup of milk and 2 tablespoons of butter...just pop into the microwave for a minute or less so that the milk warms and the butter melts.) Then blend, taste, adjust seasonings, add more liquid if necessary.

This can also be frozen, although if I'm going to freeze it, I puree it with about a half cup of water, then put it in a strainer overnight so that the water drains out. Put it in a freezer bag, flatten it out, and pop in the freezer. When you thaw it, you can add the milk and butter.

(Just in case anyone else has an abundance of butternut squashes and cauliflower like me :-) My CSA now has winter veggies, so my kitchen looks like a root cellar.)

I wish! I made cauliflower soup this weekend. They are 2$ each for a decent sized head. Butternut squash hasn't come down in price very much but we are coming into our Thanksgiving weekend so they are in demand. I make butternut squash risotto on a frequent basis and I love it.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

I've never heard of cauliflower soup. Tell the story!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I've never heard of cauliflower soup. Tell the story!
    Here's a good basic one -- and easy to "tweak" given what you have in the fridge or pantry: Cauliflower Soup Recipe - How to Make Cauliflower Soup

I omit the milk and add more veggie broth as necessary, as I don't like cream soups.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Non-cook question: How do onions look "starchy"?

+ Reply to Thread