+ Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3132333435363738394041424344454647 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Anyone got a recipe for...

Re: Anyone got a recipe for...

Thank you, ECM !
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Gutmutter was talking about "authentic" Belgian waffles and I went to see what made them authentic. I think it's the yeast.

BUT I ran into this webse that I thought some might be interested in.

It's European Cuisines | ... and contains a variety of recipe's ... and they are by country and region. Check it out if you wish.
    Last edited by echo226; 09-01-2013 at 02:13 PM.

Mohandas Gandhi

Well, the yeast and the pearl sugar, which I ordered from Amazon. Not sure if I can get it in a store. The pearl sugar makes a distinctive crunch on the inside with a burst of sweetness and where it comes into contact with the waffle iron, it makes a caramelized glaze. Part of the learning process is how hot to make the irons and how long to cook on each side... my waffle iron is in two pieces (not electric) and I heat them on two burners as I go. I start by lightly spraying them, and heating them over medium high heat separately. Then they attach at the top and I make the first waffle small because the first one never turns out perfect. Then I pour the second one, heat about a minute and a half, flip over and remove the top iron if it's cooked enough, and put it on the other burner to stay hot. Cook another minute, flip out onto a plate. Pour the next one, etc. You don't need syrup because they're already very sweet, but fresh fruit and maybe some whipped cream or a little ice cream is how they're served over there.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Well, the yeast and the pearl sugar, which I ordered from Amazon. Not sure if I can get it in a store. The pearl sugar makes a distinctive crunch on the inside with a burst of sweetness and where it comes into contact with the waffle iron, it makes a caramelized glaze. Part of the learning process is how hot to make the irons and how long to cook on each side... my waffle iron is in two pieces (not electric) and I heat them on two burners as I go. I start by lightly spraying them, and heating them over medium high heat separately. Then they attach at the top and I make the first waffle small because the first one never turns out perfect. Then I pour the second one, heat about a minute and a half, flip over and remove the top iron if it's cooked enough, and put it on the other burner to stay hot. Cook another minute, flip out onto a plate. Pour the next one, etc. You don't need syrup because they're already very sweet, but fresh fruit and maybe some whipped cream or a little ice cream is how they're served over there.
    It sounds like it's work ... but worth it! I'll bet your chef daughter was impressed.

I don't have a waffle iron any longer but have a new found ability to make two at a time ... in the toaster!

They are not the Belgian kind. They are the lazy American kind!

Mohandas Gandhi

Folks in the Big Brother Live Feed forum are talking about making Chicken and dumplings .... both creamy and other?

Anybody have recipes.

Mohandas Gandhi

Homemade Chicken and Dumplings | Tasty Kitchen Blog

I use this one but I add a can of cream of chicken soup to my broth and add more salt and pepper to my dumplings and use 3/4 teaspoons of baking powder. I cook them longer than 20 minutes. My husband likes this recipe the best.

I doctor everything up that I cook.

I have also made chicken and dumplings using frozen biscuits. If you want fat fluffy dumplings this is the way to go. I let them thaw just a bit and cut them in quarters and put them in my broth and cook them. Don't raise the lid til they are done. I also use cream of chicken in the stock for this one.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Quote Originally Posted by nennie View Post

I use this one but I add a can of cream of chicken soup to my broth and add more salt and pepper to my dumplings and use 3/4 teaspoons of baking powder. I cook them longer than 20 minutes. My husband likes this recipe the best.

I have also made chicken and dumplings using frozen biscuits. If you want fat fluffy dumplings this is the way to go. I let them thaw just a bit and cut them in quarters and put them in my broth and cook them. Don't raise the lid til they are done. I also use cream of chicken in the stock for this one.

Thank you ... that looks scrumptious ... and your doctoring sounds wonderful! Thank you.

My mother always made Bisquick dumplings with stews ... and I have a cousin who makes "bread dumplings". She uses bread, eggs and flour ... make a couple of balls out of it qand boils it in water, Then slices them. I'll have to see if I can find that recipe again.

Thanks again.

Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by nennie View Post

Thank you ... that looks scrumptious ... and your doctoring sounds wonderful! Thank you.

My mother always made Bisquick dumplings with stews ... and I have a cousin who makes "bread dumplings". She uses bread, eggs and flour ... makeS a couple of balls out of it and boils it in water, Then slices them. I'll have to see if I can find that recipe again.

Thanks again.

Mohandas Gandhi

This recipe is pretty close ... except my cousin beats an egg an adds water to make a cup:

INGREDIENTS:

4 slices of bread
    1 and 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
    1 cup of water
    1 package of baking powder ( = 15 grams = 4 Tsp of baking powder)
    1/2 Tsp of salt
    Method:

In a large bowl mix the flour, baking powder and salt together
    Cut up the bread slices into cubes
    Mix the bread cubes with the flour/baking powder mixture
    Mix in the cup of water and work the mixture with your hands until a dough forms
    Create 2 oval loaves
    Put them carefully into a pot of boiling water (salted)
    Cook them uncovered for about 20 to 25 minutes, but turn them over after the first 10 minutes of cooking.
    Take both loaves out of the pot and slice them up with a piece of thread
    Serve!

PS: Since it is a Czech recipe it just assumes that we use a Czech bread. You have 2 options: 1/ either you bake your own Czech bread or you go to the store and pick the sturdiest bread that you can find.

Mohandas Gandhi

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Some have expressed an interest in a recipe for a Reuben casserole so here it is:

REUBEN CASSEROLE

- 10 slices toasted Rye bread, cubed
    - 1 1/2 pounds of cooked corned beef, shredded
    - Swiss cheese
    - 6 eggs, lightly beaten
    - 2 1/2 cups milk
    - 1 can sauerkraut, drained
    - Pepper to taste

Grease pan.
    Layer bread, corned beef, sauerkraut, cheese (the cheese layer goes on top).
    Pour egg, milk and pepper mixture over all.
    Refrigerate overnight.
    Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes covered and then another 10 minutes uncovered.

+ Reply to Thread