+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 47 FirstFirst ... 29303132333435363738394041424344454647 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Anyone got a recipe for...

Re: Anyone got a recipe for...

hummous recipe for the person who asked...

I use home cooked chick peas (garbanzo beans) but you can use 2 large cans- rinsed and drained
    juice of 1 lemon
    2 cloves of garlic
    3 TBS tahini (sesame paste)
    a quarter cup of oil (I like a strong olive oil but choose your oil to taste)

puree your garlic with a bit of salt and the lemon juice, add your beans, tahini and start to drizzle in the oil until it reaches a consistency you like. If you want to cut down on the oil you can blend in some warm water to get the desired smoothness.
    Keep covered and refrigerated with a thin layer of oil to keep it from drying out.
    Ellen likes this.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

Oooh - I'm printing that out! Thanks!
    Count your blessings!

I was introduced to kale and swiss chard a few years ago and much to my surprise I found out that I like both of them! I am growing both in my garden and have enough to eat every day for quite some time. I usually put either one in tomato based soups using my own roasted tomatoes and sometimes add spicy chicken sausage. I also make a fresh kale salad with avocado, feta cheese and other crunchy fresh vegetables at hand. I am curious how you all like to eat kale and/or swiss chard? I am open to vegan, vegetarian and recipes with meat.

Kale is one of the three things I grown in my backyard (the others are tomatoes and habanero peppers). I don't have any specific recipes for kale, but what I do is harvest it every fall, chop it reasonably small, bag it and freeze it. Then I put handfuls of kale in everything I make through to the following summer, including salads.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    Kale is one of the three things I grown in my backyard (the others are tomatoes and habanero peppers). I don't have any specific recipes for kale, but what I do is harvest it every fall, chop it reasonably small, bag it and freeze it. Then I put handfuls of kale in everything I make through to the following summer, including salads.
    Thanks, that is a great idea!

Cootie: I have also just recently began to love kale. Two of my favorite ways are kale chips-now people are even making kale trail mix. And this recipe by Aarti from food network. I just love this salad and it keeps for days. I always top my lunch salad with this. (and leave out the mango and pepitas.)

1 bunch kale (black kale is especially good), stalks removed and discarded, leaves thinly sliced
    1 lemon, juiced
    1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
    Kosher salt
    2 teaspoons honey
    Freshly ground black pepper
    1 mango, diced small (about 1 cup)
    Small handful toasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds), about 2 rounded tablespoons
    Directions
    In large serving bowl, add the kale, half of lemon juice, a drizzle of oil and a little kosher salt. Massage until the kale starts to soften and wilt, 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside while you make the dressing.

In a small bowl, whisk remaining lemon juice with the honey and lots of freshly ground black pepper. Stream in the 1/4 cup of oil while whisking until a dressing forms, and you like how it tastes.

Pour the dressing over the kale, and add the mango and pepitas. Toss and serve.

Massaged Kale Salad Recipe : Aarti Sequeira : Recipes : Food Network
    Cootie likes this.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Hubby is on a low salt diet (congestive heart failure), and as of last week a low carb diet (diabetes). I found a low carb pizza crust recipe that's supposed to be enough for 2 pizzas that calls for 1 1/2 tsp of salt. I know dough needs some salt to rise properly (or something like that), but how much of that 1 1/2 tsp could I cut back on without affecting the dough? (We want a crust that has risen a bit.) Thanks!
    Last edited by Brooks; 10-30-2012 at 09:19 AM.

I think the salt helps slow the rise, and somehow makes the dough more stretchable without tearing (which you'd want, for working it into a pizza crust)... I might cut the salt by half to see how it turns out; you might just have to be a little more gentle with it. Hope you find something that works for you and your hubby.
    Last edited by coltnlasma; 10-30-2012 at 09:45 AM.
    remember to play

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    Hubby is on a low salt diet (congestive heart failure), and as of last week a low carb diet (diabetes). I found a low carb pizza crust recipe that's supposed to be enough for 2 pizzas that calls for 1 1/2 tsp of salt. I know dough needs some salt to rise properly (or something like that), but how much of that 1 1/2 tsp could I cut back on without affecting the dough? (We want a crust that has risen a bit.) Thanks!
    You can typically cut all salt by half in most recipes. (And even more if they call for baking soda, which contains salt.) Each piece would then contain 150 mg of sodium in the crust.

Pizza isn't typically a good low-sodium option. In addition to the crust, the sauce and cheese also contain sodium. For low salt/low carb, think "fresh"...fruits and veggies mostly. You can reduce the sodium in tomato sauce (for pasta or pizza) by making your own...look for low-salt or no-salt canned tomatoes if you can't get good quality fresh ones. You can also find low-sodium cheeses in most delis (but I've never tried making pizza with low-sodium mozzarella).

I've been on a low-salt diet for 35 years. Feel free to ask questions :-)

Thanks. We've figured out toppings including sauce that are no or very low salt and I have used those on store bought pizza crusts (Whole Foods has a whole wheat dough that seems relatively low salt). Now that he's diabetic I need to change what we use for crust and found what I think is a reasonable recipe except for the salt. I'll try half salt. (No baking soda in the recipe.) Last time I mistakenly made pizza dough with no salt it didn't rise at all so I think the yeast needs some to function.

+ Reply to Thread