+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2829303132333435363738394041424344454647 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Anyone got a recipe for...

Re: Anyone got a recipe for...

I was going to suggest the same thing, or get applesauce or other "sauces"... or natural jams.
    Count your blessings!

You know, now that you've mentioned it, I think just letting them put whatever fruit on top would be the best option for us. Much simpler than trying to mix up a bunch of different flavors, which I'm not sure why I was so intent on anyway. Thanks, both of you.
    remember to play

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

My personal favorite is crushed pineapple, a couple of drops of coconut essence, and a couple tbsp. of oat bran in plain Greek yogurt.

Where does one find coconut essence? I LOVE coconut!
    And I just asked this over in the general food strand, but I'm looking for a delicious hummus recipe.
    Count your blessings!

Coconut essence is almost impossible to find at retail, as far as I know. I've tried. The last time I bought it from JaneAsher.com (1 oz. is about 25 USD). It's available online from bakery suppliers.

It's very concentrated and different from extracts which usually have alcohol in them. This is concentrated from 100% coconut milk, and the flavor and fragrance is very strong, so a drop or two is all you need. I think you can also get it from nigella,com.

MRD

Check the baking goods equipment at hobby stores like Michaels, AC Moore, etc. They carry edible oils and extracts.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    Check the baking goods equipment at hobby stores like Michaels, AC Moore, etc. They carry edible oils and extracts.

I would definitely call first. Coconut extract and coconut oil are available everywhere. Coconut essence is not.

Do any of you recall a recipe for green bean casserole using fresh green beans and I think homemade cream of chicken sauce? I would have sworn it was discussed here on FoRT, but my searches have turned up nothing. If anyone remembers or has that recipe, I'd so appreciate it... I've found something similar on a recipe site, but would rather trust or at least compare it to the one posted here (or at least I think was posted here ) as I recall it sounded soooo good. Thanks!

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

coltnlasma, do you mean the green bean casserole which uses French's french fried onion rings and mushroom soup? (Used to be a company called Durkee that made those onion rings but I guess French's bought them out.) Anyway, my family has served it for years and here's the recipe:

1 can (10 3/4 ounces) Campbell's® Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup (Regular, 98% Fat Free or Healthy Request®)
    1/2 cup milk
    1 teaspoon soy sauce
    Dash ground black pepper
    4 cups cooked cut green beans
    1 1/3 cups French's® French Fried Onions
    Stir the soup, milk, soy sauce, black pepper, beans and 2/3 cup onions in a 1 1/2-quart casserole.
    Bake at 350°F. for 25 minutes or until the bean mixture is hot and bubbling. Stir the bean mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining onions.
    Bake for 5 minutes or until the onions are golden brown.
    RECIPE TIPS
    Easy Substitution: Use 1 bag (16 to 20 ounces) frozen green beans, thawed, 2 packages (9 ounces each) frozen green beans, thawed, 2 cans (about 16 ounces each) green beans, drained or about 1 1/2 pounds fresh green beans for this recipe.
    Easy Substitution: For Broccoli Casserole, substitute 4 cups cooked broccoli florets for the green beans.
    Flavor Variation: For cheese lovers, stir in 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese with the soup. Omit the soy sauce. Sprinkle with an additional 1/4 cup Cheddar cheese when adding the remaining onions.
    Flavor Variation: To add a festive touch, stir in 1/4 cup chopped red pepper with the soup.
    Flavor Variation: To add crunch, add 1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds to the onion topping.
    Flavor Variation: For bacon lovers, add 2 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled, to the bean mixture.
    Flavor Variation: For Golden Green Bean Casserole, substitute Campbell's® Condensed Golden Mushroom Soup for the Cream of Mushroom Soup. Omit the soy sauce. Stir in 1/4 cup chopped red pepper with the green beans.

* This is from the Campbell's web site. I always omit the soy sauce and black pepper b/c we don't like pepper and I think the onion rings are salty enough without the soy sauce.

I do think it was a variation of that. I like your idea of adding toasted sliced almonds on top - yum!

+ Reply to Thread