+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Anyone got a recipe for...

Re: Anyone got a recipe for...

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger View Post
    I am not certain if this is the right thread to ask this question but tonight I made Chicken Saltimbocca and lately I have been having difficulty getting the chicken breast thin enough to roll up the ham and cheese. I slice the chicken in half when it is half frozen but sometimes I mess up so much that one half in not really useable. Any thoughts or suggestions on how to cut the breasts more clean and or how to pound it out thin enough to roll it up?

BTW... I make my own breadcrumbs and it makes ALL the difference in the coating! Just pulse hearty white bread (I use Country White Bread) in a food processor (I use my mini-chopper) until coarsely ground. Bake bread crumbs on baking sheet at 200 degrees until dry, (about 20 minutes).

Make sure your breasts are big and if they have the rib meat attached that helps too. I also put the chicken into a heavy duty plastic bag before starting to pound them, just because I'm paranoid about the all the juices flying around.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality View Post
    Make sure your breasts are big...
    Huh -- and I always thought that this hindered my cooking.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by luvsinger
    I am not certain if this is the right thread to ask this question but tonight I made Chicken Saltimbocca and lately I have been having difficulty getting the chicken breast thin enough to roll up the ham and cheese. I slice the chicken in half when it is half frozen but sometimes I mess up so much that one half in not really useable. Any thoughts or suggestions on how to cut the breasts more clean and or how to pound it out thin enough to roll it up?
    I use an unopened 6 oz. can of tomato paste to pound chicken breasts, veal, beef, etc. I place the meat between 2 sheets of plastic wrap first. Because I can both roll and pound it, it thins out evenly. My family has laughed at me for years over this - but they all do it now.
    luvsginger likes this.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

MRD

Not all that healthy, but.... Melt 2tbsp butter, add 1 tbsp sugar, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp cinnamon. Stir to combine and pour over hot carrots and toss to coat.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I find myself with 4 cans of sliced carrots and no idea what to do with them. In truth, I'm not really a fan of cooked carrots unless they're IN something like soup or Thai food or something.

Does anyone have any easy and healthy recipes for canned carrots? I don't want to waste them, but just looking at the can is giving me flashbacks to childhood.
    I think the only thing you could do with them is to puree them and make a soup.

Here is a WW recipe...

Ingredients
    2 tsp canola oil
    1/4 cup(s) shallot(s), or red onion, chopped
    1/2 tsp curry powder
    1/8 tsp chili powder, chipotle-variety
    29 oz canned carrots, sliced (undrained)
    1 cup(s) buttermilk
    1/4 tsp table salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    2 tsp fresh lemon juice, divided
    1/4 cup(s) fat-free sour cream
    Instructions
    Heat oil in a medium saucepan; add shallot, curry powder and chili powder. Cook over medium heat until shallot is tender, stirring constantly, about 2 minutes. Add undrained carrots to saucepan.

Pour buttermilk into saucepan and swirl to combine. Add salt, pepper and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice; puree in saucepan using an immersion blender. (Or puree in batches in a blenderócareful not to splatter hot liquid). Taste soup and add remaining teaspoon of lemon juice, if desired.

Divide soup among 4 bowls and garnish with sour cream. Yields about 1 cup of soup and 1 tablespoon of sour cream per serving.
    Notes
    We used canned carrots because they cut cooking time considerably (you may use fresh carrots though, if you prefer). If you prefer a tangy-tasting soup, swap 1/2 cup of buttermilk for 1/2 cup of plain fat-free yogurt (could affect PointsPlus values).

For a festive look, spoon sour cream in the center of each serving. Using a toothpick, draw out "spokes" of sour cream from the center to create a starburst design.

You could also mash them up and add them to anything with ground meat, like meatloaf, meatballs, etc.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I figured out how to get my chicken breasts thin enough to make the saltimbocca....I actually slice the half breast down the middle and make it thinner, then pound it out....if the breasts are a little frozen then it makes it real simple to slice in half....that way the chicken is not so overwhelming in the Saltimbocca....

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger View Post
    I figured out how to get my chicken breasts thin enough to make the saltimbocca....I actually slice the half breast down the middle and make it thinner, then pound it out....if the breasts are a little frozen then it makes it real simple to slice in half....that way the chicken is not so overwhelming in the Saltimbocca....
    LuvsGinger,

Unless the recipe calls for skin on the chicken breasts, if I were you I'd just buy the thin skinless, boneless chicken breasts that they sell at the market.
    That way they're perfect for recipes like yours and no need to have to pound them.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I'm looking for ideas on how to flavor plain yogurt for my children, but keep it smooth; they will not eat it with any fruit "bits" in the texture. Funny they like chunky smoothies, but want their yogurt alone smooth. We tried the yogurt recipe from the crockpot cooking link that (I believe) Critical posted in the crockpot thread... love it and love all the things we can do with it, but just cannot figure out the best way to mix up different flavors. I think honey and vanilla is a given, and am going to try other extracts (have orange, strawberry, banana so far) -- was also wondering about trying fruit jelly or even a bit of those flavored jello packets, although I'm not sure about the ingredients in those cases. Any suggestions?
    remember to play

Can you puree the fruit or use baby food fruit in their yogurt, coltnlasma? Or let them put their own toppings on plain yogurt? I had success when my kids were young in letting them fix their own foods as much as possible. Putting fruit or whatever on yogurt would be a good place to start.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

+ Reply to Thread