+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 47 FirstFirst ... 262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Anyone got a recipe for...

Re: Anyone got a recipe for...

A word of warning when brining your poultry: Make SURE to rinse it very well before cooking it. I learned that the hard way when we ended up with some super salty drippings one Thanksgiving. But it is well worth the time.

I also brine my cut-up chicken before frying it. I try to get it soaking early in the day. But we only have fried chicken very rarely now.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

I made beer can chicken for the first time last week but wasn't too impressed. You're not supposed to taste the beer but maybe it was subconscious because the chicken just didn't come out super moist like all the recipes promise and it seemed to taste a little off. It was a nicely browned chicken and wasn't too bad, I just don't think I'll make it that way again. I don't remember the specifics but there are plenty of online recipes if you want to try it.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan View Post
    I made beer can chicken for the first time last week but wasn't too impressed. You're not supposed to taste the beer but maybe it was subconscious because the chicken just didn't come out super moist like all the recipes promise and it seemed to taste a little off. It was a nicely browned chicken and wasn't too bad, I just don't think I'll make it that way again. I don't remember the specifics but there are plenty of online recipes if you want to try it.
    Thanks for posting that.
    I always wanted to try the beer can recipe.
    Now, however, I doubt I will.
    I love moist chicken, but I don't like beer at all.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere View Post
    Thanks for posting that.
    I always wanted to try the beer can recipe.
    Now, however, I doubt I will.
    I love moist chicken, but I don't like beer at all.
    You can make beer can chicken with anything...Dr Pepper is good, so is OJ. (I think we've only made it once with beer.) One of these days, I'm going to try squeezing lemons into some water...

Fort Member

When we first got the beer can stand for the been can chicken we went a little nuts and tried it with everything, we previously had a rotissary on our BBQ and used different wines and juices and beer in that so we did the same with the beercan, used cola, beer, wine, juice, lemon with soda water, even Guiness we became totally addicted to finding the perfect thing, even though we had never had a failure we knew we could find perfection and finally after we had a party and someone left behind a premix can of Whiskey and Coke we found the perfect thing, the chicken turned out brilliantly, moist and tender melt in the mouth. Mission accomplished we never cooked a beer can chicken again.

I am not certain if this is the right thread to ask this question but tonight I made Chicken Saltimbocca and lately I have been having difficulty getting the chicken breast thin enough to roll up the ham and cheese. I slice the chicken in half when it is half frozen but sometimes I mess up so much that one half in not really useable. Any thoughts or suggestions on how to cut the breasts more clean and or how to pound it out thin enough to roll it up?

BTW... I make my own breadcrumbs and it makes ALL the difference in the coating! Just pulse hearty white bread (I use Country White Bread) in a food processor (I use my mini-chopper) until coarsely ground. Bake bread crumbs on baking sheet at 200 degrees until dry, (about 20 minutes).

FORT Fogey

Luvsinger - maybe this will help. I've seen it on the cooking shows. After you've sliced the chicken breast crosswise, put it between two layers of plastic wrap and pound it with a mallet, or the bottom of a pot....until you get it the way you want it. If one piece is thinner than the other, you just have to pound it less.

As for breadcrumbs: I like the Panko breadcrumbs. They are lower in sodium than store-bought or home-made that you make out of bread (sodium is a concern for me).

I find myself with 4 cans of sliced carrots and no idea what to do with them. In truth, I'm not really a fan of cooked carrots unless they're IN something like soup or Thai food or something.

Does anyone have any easy and healthy recipes for canned carrots? I don't want to waste them, but just looking at the can is giving me flashbacks to childhood.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

You can use them in any recipe where you would use fresh carrots. Maybe a stir-fry with other fresh veggies over rice, roast them with a chicken or a Pasta e Fagioli with ground turkey and whole wheat pasta......good luck!

Donate them to a food shelter and buy some fresh carrots and hummus!
    Ellen and Katydyd like this.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread