+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 47 FirstFirst ... 252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Anyone got a recipe for...

Re: Anyone got a recipe for...

Whole chickens seem to be on special every other week here, so I've finally succumbed....I've always been a little intimidated, to tell the truth.

I cooked one last week in the slow cooker and was not impressed. The whole thing fell apart when I went to take it out and the chicken itself was a bit mushy. I ate the whole thing, but wasn't overjoyed about it.

Anyone have a good recipe for a whole chicken other than my usual potatoes, onions and carrots (which is always good, but I'd like to try something new)?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I usually roast whole chickens in the oven. I'm a big fan of stuffing the cavity with lemon wedges and lots of fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme, sage, etc.). I also take a whole bunch of herbs and gently pull up the skin and rub the herbs all over the breast meat before roasting. The lemon wedges in the cavity make the chicken so moist.

I rinse the chicken, put it on a roasting pan and roast it in the oven with no additions. Then I eat the dark meat and put the white meat aside. Then I put the carcass in a pot of water or crockpot and simmer it a long time for broth. Strain the broth out, put it in the crockpot with onions, carrots, peas (other veggies of your choice), and butter beans with as much of the white chicken as you want. I like to keep some aside for chicken salad. When the carcass is cool, I can usually find a lot more bits of meat on it that I throw in the soup.

I usually add a bay leaf, garlic, salt and pepper, and sometimes other herbs and spices to the soup. Really basic and simple.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

I'm a big fan of roasting with lemons onion and fresh rosemary in the cavity. then the roast chicken can be used for sandwiches, salads, casseroles, etc. Cooked chicken can also be frozen.

But this method makes the tastiest and moistest chicken. I don't use tarragon, I use rosemary or some other herb. I am not a fan of tarragon. And I use about 2 tbsp. of black pepper corns whole instead of the pepper.

Brined chicken

1 gallon water

3/4 cup kosher salt

2/3 cup sugar

3/4 cup soy sauce

1 teaspoon each of dried tarragon, thyme, black pepper

1/4 cup olive oil

Start by boiling the water and then adding the salt and sugar, so that it will dissolve easier. Then add the spices to the hot liquid so that the flavors are extracted. Cool the brine solution.

Place the brine solution into a non-reactive container and immerse the chicken in the brine, weighting it down if necessary. (Use a heavy plate or a brick inside a ziploc bag as a weight). Place the container into the refrigerator and leave for 10 hours. You can also brine the chicken in an ice chest, by pouring the brine solution into the ice chest, immersing the chicken and weighting down. (Use ziploc bags filled with ice cubes, or "blue ice" to keep the brining solution cool during the brining process.

Upon completion of the brining time remove the chicken from the brine and wash twice for at least 30 seconds in fresh water. Dry the chicken with paper towels.

Roast as you would normall roast one.

I put the chicken and brine mixture in a clean garbage bag and then put the bag in my biggest pot that will fit in the fridge.
    TripleGemini likes this.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

myrosiedog, That sounds really good! Does the chicken taste salty after you cook it? Or does washing it remove a lot of that taste?

I have to watch salt intake, so my recipe doesn't add salt, but yours sounds delicious, MRD.
    Count your blessings!

Fort Member

Place one whole chicken in a large pot cover with water, add four gloves of garlic (depends on how much you like garlic you can add more or less), a knob of ginger, a couple of bay leaves, salt and pepper bring to the boil, cover and cook for 40mins or until liquid runs clear when chicken is pricked (or until you are pretty sure the chicken is cooked). Remove chicken from pot and put aside. Into pot add one cup of rice (brown or white) boil until cooked. (If you have a larger family just put in more rice you should have enough liquid to cook a decent amount of rice if not top it up with boiling water)
    Drain rice presrving the liquid. Discard the ginger knob, bay leaves and garlic cloves however if you love garlic you can squeeze one out into the rice and mix
    Remove the meat from half the chicken (i prefer the white meat so i normally just take the breasts off and cut them up if you have a big family or a very hungry one you can use the whole chicken (which is what happens in my house alot) cut the meat up and place in a serving bowl, place the rice in another serving bowl, place a small bowl of mango chutney, another of sweet chilli sauce and one of soya sauce cut up a cucumber and place on the table with bowls so you can take some rice, chicken and mix with any or all of the condaments and eat, its my verson of Hokken Chicken Rice and my son and husband used to love it as they could make it as spicy or not as they liked. You can keep topping up the chicken if needed (this is the reason I usually dont have much chicken left)

Use the left over stock and chicken for soup just place some glad wrap over the top of the stock so that it is touching the top of the stock and let cool in the fridge, the fat will set on the top of the glad wrap and make it easy to remove, bring back to the boil add a tin of corn kernals and a tin of creamed corn and the left over chicken heat through (if you have any left over rice you can also add it to the soup to thicken it), If you want a thicker soup you can add a little cornflour, take a couple of spoonfuls of the soup add a little corn flour to this mix till smooth pour back into the soup and stir but I usually have some left over rice or noodles that i add and dont need to thicken it) lightly beat two egg whites, take soup off heat and quickly whisk in the egg whites creating strands of white through the soup, season with salt and pepper and a touch of soy if you wish Viola!! Chicken and sweet corn soup
    TripleGemini likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Whole chickens seem to be on special every other week here, so I've finally succumbed....I've always been a little intimidated, to tell the truth.

I cooked one last week in the slow cooker and was not impressed. The whole thing fell apart when I went to take it out and the chicken itself was a bit mushy. I ate the whole thing, but wasn't overjoyed about it.

Anyone have a good recipe for a whole chicken other than my usual potatoes, onions and carrots (which is always good, but I'd like to try something new)?
    Not sure if this will be that different, but it is the best chicken I've ever had.
    Barefoot Contessa has a recipe for Perfect Roast Chicken.
    She sticks a bunch of whole garlic and lemons in the cavity, along with some thyme. Then she rubs butter on the chicken; sits it atop your choice of veggies and roasts it for 1 1/2 hours.
    The first time I made it, I misread how much butter to use. I used a stick - 4 oz. Should have used 1 oz. according to the recipe. I've made it with 1 oz and with 4 oz. of butter. I think it's more moist and tender with about 2 - 3 oz. of butter.
    I'm going to look up the exact recipe and copy it here for you.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/pe...ken/24509.html
    Last edited by norealityhere; 06-28-2011 at 10:52 PM. Reason: to include recipe
    TripleGemini likes this.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

MRD

No, the chicken is not salty and is not full of salt. It's a chemical process called osmosis where something happens to make the chicken both tender and moist. But it is not salty tasting at all and it's not full of salt either. Alton Brown on the food network explained it. It was very confusing, but it makes for one GREAT chicken, let me tell you.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    No, the chicken is not salty and is not full of salt. It's a chemical process called osmosis where something happens to make the chicken both tender and moist. But it is not salty tasting at all and it's not full of salt either. Alton Brown on the food network explained it. It was very confusing, but it makes for one GREAT chicken, let me tell you.
    Thanks! I think I saw that show, but (like Gutmutter and Columbia), I have to watch my salt. While I really want to believe Alton ;-), I prefer to ask someone before I end up with a salad for dinner :-)

+ Reply to Thread