+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 47 FirstFirst ... 212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Anyone got a recipe for...

Re: Anyone got a recipe for...

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;3737265;
    In our church we had these chicken casseroles that had potato chips on top - did you mean that kind? It was more like noodles, cream soup, cheese, chicken, and potato chips. Very comfort food-ish.
    I made that recipe for a 4-H cooking thing when I was 9. It had rice instead of noodles, I think, and no cheese, but everything else is the same - cream of mushroom soup, cream of celery or chicken soup. canned chicken and those crumbled potato chips on top. I'd still eat that stuff today! Reminds me of childhood. Seriously, talking about it makes me want to head to the grocery store and get the ingredients!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I can't believe that I've never even heard of this but it sure sounds good.

Old Fashioned Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti

5-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts or 1 whole chicken fryer
    1 - 12 oz package spaghetti noodles
    1 - 16 oz (1 lb) package Velveeta cheese, cubed
    1 - 10.5 oz can cream of chicken soup
    1 - 14 oz can chicken broth or 2 cups reserved broth
    1 - stick margarine (1/2 Cup)
    1 - 8oz package shredded mild or sharp cheddar cheese
    1 - small onion, chopped
    3-4 celery ribs, chopped
    1/4 cup green bell pepper, chopped

Fill a big stock pot with water. Clean and rinse whole fryer or chicken pieces. Add chicken, I like to add a little seasoning salt, pepper and poultry seasoning while the chicken cooks. Wash hands after handling chicken. Let chicken come to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer chicken until done. Cook whole fryers about 2 hours and chicken breasts or pieces 45-50 minutes. Remove chicken from pot and place on a plate to cool. Drain the broth through a strainer and reserve. Cook the spaghetti per package directions. Instead of cooking the spaghetti in water, we are going to use the reserved chicken broth. Add spaghetti and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer noodles until al dente. While spaghetti noodles are cooking start deboning the chicken (make sure it is cool enough to handle) or break chicken breasts to smaller pieces. Chop up all the vegetables and set aside. Melt margarine in a small skillet and add the vegetables. Sauté’ vegetables until they are tender and translucent in color. When noodles are done drain and set aside. If you are not using canned chicken broth, reserve 2 cups of the cooked broth. In a large bowl combine Velveeta cheese, chicken broth and cream of chicken soup. Place in microwave and cook on low for 5-7 minutes or until mixture is smooth and cheese is melted. (You can also use the defrost setting). To the cheese mixture add cooked vegetables with butter, spaghetti noodles and chicken pieces. Stir to combine. Spray a 9x 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray and add combined mixture. Top finished casserole with 8oz of shredded cheddar cheese. Place casserole in a preheated 350 degree oven and bake for about 45 minutes or until cheese is golden brown and casserole is bubbly. Remove from oven let cool and serve.;
    Last edited by Bunny555; 10-27-2009 at 08:27 AM.

Ellen, it is more like a casserole but no potato chips on top. Very "comfort food-ish." I think it's more like the one Bunny555 posted. Thanks, Bunny! Sounds awfully fattening though...I'll be eating salads the rest of the week.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

FORT Newbie

I am looking for a recipe for a chicken casserole that has chicken, pineapple and chinese noodles. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by noisy parker;3737363;
    I am looking for a recipe for a chicken casserole that has chicken, pineapple and chinese noodles. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance
    By doing a google search of chicken casserole that has chicken, pineapple and chinese noodles this came up:

Pineapple Chicken Casserole Recipe | Taste of Home Recipes

* 4-6 Servings
    * Prep/Total Time: 30 min.

Ingredients

* 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
    * 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
    * 1 cup pineapple tidbits
    * 2 celery ribs, chopped
    * 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
    * 1 tablespoon soy sauce
    * 1 can (3 ounces) chow mein noodles, divided

Directions

* In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Fold in 1 cup chow mein noodles. Transfer to a greased shallow 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining noodles. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4-6 servings.

Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 230 calories, 10 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 624 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 16 g protein.

I bought some Brussels sprouts yesterday and now I don't know what to do with them. My mom used to steam them and I'm really not a fan. My brother has a recipe where he juliennes them and sautes them, but getting ahold of my brother is like trying to contact the freaking president.

I found this one and it sounds delish - everything is better with bacon! - but it's not very low in fat or calories (or sugar):
    Bacon-Maple Brussels Sprouts Recipe
    Serves/Makes: 12

Ingredients:
    3 containers (10 ounces size) Brussels sprouts
    3 slices bacon
    1 medium onion
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons maple syrup

Directions:

In covered nonstick 12-inch skillet, heat 1 inch water to boiling over high heat. Meanwhile, trim tough ends and any yellow leaves from Brussels sprouts. Add Brussels sprouts to skillet; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 5 minutes or until Brussels sprouts are just tender-crisp.

Meanwhile, cut bacon into 1/2-inch pieces. Slice onion in half, then thinly slice crosswise.

Drain Brussels sprouts, then plunge into large bowl of ice water to stop cooking; drain thoroughly.

In same skillet, cook bacon, onion, salt, pepper, and 1 tablespoon maple syrup over medium-high heat 7 to 8 minutes or until onion and bacon are browned, stirring frequently.

Meanwhile, cut Brussels sprouts lengthwise into thin slices. Add Brussels sprouts to onion mixture in skillet; cook 6 to 7 minutes or until all liquid evaporates and Brussels sprouts are lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Stir in remaining 1 tablespoon syrup; cook 1 minute to heat through.
    Bacon-Maple Brussels Sprouts Recipe @ CDKitchen.com :: it's what's cooking online!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

My favorite way to have brussels is to steam them until soft (you can use the steamed vegetable water in soups/stews/gravy or even drink it, I do all of those), and put real butter and black pepper on them. If I'm feeling really naughty , they are also great with melted cheese on them. To manage the guilt, it doesn't take a lot of butter or cheese.

I think of them as tiny cabbages.

The vegetables leak vitamins and minerals into the steamed (and boiled) water, so try not to throw it out.
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

I know lots of people steam Brussels sprouts, but I don't like them that way.

I ended up slicing them up and sauteeing them in olive oil with some garlic, salt and pepper. They were really good! Can't wait to get them from the farmers market. I love the way they come on the stalk!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3742994;
    I know lots of people steam Brussels sprouts, but I don't like them that way.

I ended up slicing them up and sauteeing them in olive oil with some garlic, salt and pepper. They were really good! Can't wait to get them from the farmers market. I love the way they come on the stalk!
    Nov. Everyday Food has a recipe for them. Carmelized I think with balsamic vinegar. It's downstairs and I'm upstairs and lazy. But it was part of the Thanksgiving meal in that issue. I love brussel sprouts and want to try it.

I'm going to check the website and see if the recipe is there.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fan

My friend was telling me about a casserole she got and told me of the ingredients but I can't find an actual recipe anywhere. Maybe someone here has it? It's made with macaroni and cheese, stuffing (prob stove top) and green chilis. Anyone? Thanks

+ Reply to Thread