+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 47 FirstFirst ... 202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Anyone got a recipe for...

MRD

Re: Anyone got a recipe for...

Livin, that's how my mom did it too. left the potato whole or if it was big, chunked them up and made a sauce to pour over.
    I'm thinking it was just a bechmel sauce.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3723505;
    You know creamed potatos and green peas are sounding pretty good right now.
    How do you cream your potatos?
    After rereading our posts...I guess I should have called the potatoes "mashed" instead of creamed. Sorry about that.
    For my "creamed" potatoes, I boil small new or yukon gold potatoes in a saucepan with a small amount of water with salt, pepper and 1 T. of butter or margarine, until they are done. Drain them.
    In a separate pan, I make a white sauce using 3T butter or margarine, 4T flour. I melt the butter and add the flour, stir until combined.
    Add 1/4 tsp. salt, pepper to taste, stir.
    I then add, 1 cup of milk, a little at a time, so it won't have lumps, and stir with a wisk as it cooks and thickens.
    (You can add 1 cup of your favorite cheese to the sauce after it thickens)
    Pour the white sauce over the potatoes, cover and simmer on low heat until they are bubbly.

I love creamed peas and potatos. As a matter of fact I much prefer high carb foods. A slice of warm bread fresh from the oven OR a nice juicy strawberry? bread will win hands down.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

MRD

I could live on carbs too. But I'm trying not too.

I had the most marvelous pea salad a few weeks ago and it was from a local grocery store chain. Well apparantly only ONE store in the whole chain carries it.
    I just love peas. I can eat them on so much and they are great on tossed salads.

It's cold here (we apparantly skipped fall) and I may make the creamed potatos tonight. Other things have conspired against me making them until today.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Growing up, my church always had chicken spaghetti dinners. I've been craving it the past few days. Anyone have a good recipe...one with cheese?
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

I think chicken spaghetti is one of those dishes that doesn't need a recipe.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Since I'm not a world class chef or walking cookbook, I do.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by lildago;3737205;
    Since I'm not a world class chef or walking cookbook, I do.
    Me neither, but it just seems like one of those dishes that's a natural "throw together" that comes out different every time. Unless what I'm thinking of is different from what you've had? Like a casserole?

It's just that tonight, my husband and I had a "throw together" meal of chicken breasts (organic, free-range -- really delicious and just cooked in the oven with minimum seasoning, and then just browned up for a few seconds in a skillet), spaghetti with a simple, chunky pomodoro sauce with some fresh basil thrown on top, and baked zucchini topped with panko breadcrumbs and parmesan. No recipe -- just a "what's in the fridge/pantry" throw-together.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

In our church we had these chicken casseroles that had potato chips on top - did you mean that kind? It was more like noodles, cream soup, cheese, chicken, and potato chips. Very comfort food-ish.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;3737265;
    In our church we had these chicken casseroles that had potato chips on top - did you mean that kind? It was more like noodles, cream soup, cheese, chicken, and potato chips. Very comfort food-ish.

I have a chicken casserole recipe that my great-aunt (now 91!) made and took to church for years! It doesn't have potato chips, but it has lots of cheese, chicken and spaghetti. It also has black olives, celery and a few other things. It's fairly time consuming to prepare, but it makes a lot, and freezes well. Mr. Doxie and I both LOVE this - we were just talking about making it this weekend. I'll post the recipe if anyone is interested.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

+ Reply to Thread