+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 47 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Anyone got a recipe for...

MRD

Re: Anyone got a recipe for...

Well the best Mexican food I've ever had was either in the home of someone who is Mexican or in Mexico. But as I"ve had the "authentic" before, I think our local restarant is quite good. Not hte same, but good. There is one here that gets that "best of" here every year too and I also thought it was disgusting and the drinks weren't all that good either.

I need a good recipe for BBQ sauce. I want to make my own. I hate all the bottled sauces in the stores and I don't live near the place that makes the best sauce in the world anymore, so I can't just pop over abd get it. So I'd like to make my own.

But not sweet or mustard based please.

Thanks all.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Mmmm... I love good bbq, but I've found "good" sure means different things depending on the area (I was raised on "Memphis style")... myrosiedog, do you prefer vinegar-(since you said not sweet) or tomato-based sauces?
    We're all just walking each other home. ~ Ram Dass

MRD

Tomato based with some vinegar. I like sweet, but hubby does not. We both do not like mustard. I think Memphis style is sort of what I want. Not sure. I know what I like, but have a hard time describing it. The one from back home is thick and tomato-y, but you can tell it has some vinegar. I find the Carolina sauces to be very vinegary and runny. Don't like that.

I have a very basic bbq sauce recipe to start with, and you can always add a little hot sauce, vinegar, crushed garlic, chopped onion, etc. until it meets with your tastes. When the mood strikes, we bump up the brown sugar and add some dark rum for rum ribs with grilled pineapple - not really southern bbq but it's yummy. Here's the basics:
    1 1/2 c. catsup (hope that doesn't gross you out)
    3/4 c. cold water
    3 T. worcestershire sauce (sp?)
    4 1/2 T. brown sugar (you may want less)
    Now just add some smoked pork and you're all set.
    We're all just walking each other home. ~ Ram Dass

Here's a recipe for Oven BBQ Chicken. You could make the sauce and use it for anything though. I've also used it on ribs.

1/2 medium onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    3 T olive oil
    2 tsp chili powder
    2 cups ketchup
    1/2 cup red wine
    1/2 cup brown sugar - (I use 1/4 cup Splenda)
    1/3 cup honey
    1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
    1 T worchestershire sauce
    1/2 T mustard

Saute onion and garlic in olive oil. Add chili powder and stir fry for two minutes. Add rest of ingredients, simmer, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes. Pour over browned chicken pieces in roasting pan and cook until done. Approximately 40 minutes at 350.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

MRD

Thanks guys. I think I will give both a whirl soon and see.

The catsup doesn't gross me out. My mom made the best BBQ sauce and while I know how to make everything she did, she never wrote the sauce recipe down, but it had a lot of catsup. Besides, I put catsup on my scrambled eggs, so it can't gross me out.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3691083;
    Thanks guys. I think I will give both a whirl soon and see.

The catsup doesn't gross me out. My mom made the best BBQ sauce and while I know how to make everything she did, she never wrote the sauce recipe down, but it had a lot of catsup. Besides, I put catsup on my scrambled eggs, so it can't gross me out.
    MRD - here is my mom's recipe. It might be like one your mom made. I think she got it out of an old Better Homes and Gardens cookbook.

BBQ Sauce

Saute:
    1/2 C minced onion
    3 T margarine

Add:
    1 C Catsup
    1/3 C vinegar or lemon juice (she used vinegar)
    2 T brown sugar
    1/2 C water (this often came from rinsing out the catsup bottle to get every last drop)
    2 t. mustard
    2 T Worcestershire sauce
    pinch of salt

Simmer for 10 minutes

Changes I would make - butter, possibly rice vinegar, and some type of mustard other than plain yellow. I have never tried it with lemon, but might be open to trying that some time just for fun.

MRD - I just read your comment on mustard which reminded me that my mom did not always put in the mustard. I think it adds some zing, but you could try omitting it and see if it works for you.

MRD

2 tsp of mustard isn't much. The mustard based sauces here have so much mustard they are yellow and not the kind of rich orangy brown of bbq sauce and the mustard taste is overwhelming.

Thanks for the recipe. I will give it a go.

MRD

Here's what mustard based BBQ looks like. As you can see, it's got a LOT of mustard in it.

+ Reply to Thread