+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 47 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Anyone got a recipe for...

To the Point

Re: Anyone got a recipe for...

Google 'eggplant recipes simple'. There are a good number of links, but this one had a whole list of recipe ideas. Not sure that posting link is allowed.

FORT Fogey

NCLurker--hi. Thanks for the info.

I had googled eggplant recipes but found so many contained tomatoes that I decided to ask here in case anyone had a fave non-tomato recipe.

Wind Dancer,

I haven't tried either of these yet but there were a couple of good looking eggplant recipes in my August Cooking Light:

Eggplant with Capers and Red Peppers
    Yield
    8 servings (serving size: about 1/3 cup)

Ingredients
    1 medium eggplant (about 1 1/4 pounds)
    1 medium red bell pepper
    1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
    3 tablespoons capers
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    2 garlic cloves, minced

Preparation
    1. Preheat broiler.

2. Pierce eggplant several times with a fork; place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Broil 30 minutes or until blackened, turning frequently. Cool eggplant slightly; peel and chop.

3. Cut bell pepper in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place pepper halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten with hand. Broil 15 minutes or until blackened. Place in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 15 minutes. Peel and chop.

4. Combine eggplant, bell pepper, onion, and remaining ingredients in a medium bowl; toss well.
    Eggplant with Capers and Red Peppers Recipe - MyRecipes.com

and

Artichoke and Eggplant Skewers

Yield
    8 servings (serving size: 1 skewer)

Ingredients
    3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
    4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    6 frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and quartered
    24 (1-inch) cubes eggplant (about 3/4 pound)
    24 cherry tomatoes
    Cooking spray
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    Lemon wedges (optional)
    Preparation
    1. Prepare grill to medium-high heat.

2. Combine first 4 ingredients in a small bowl; stir well with a whisk.

3. Thread artichoke hearts, eggplant, and tomatoes alternately onto each of 8 (10-inch) skewers. Place skewers on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 6 minutes or until tender, turning frequently. Place skewers on a platter; brush with juice mixture. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Serve with lemon wedges, if desired.
    Artichoke and Eggplant Skewers Recipe - MyRecipes.com

I recognize that the second one has cherry tomatoes but you could always just leave those out or substitute something like red peppers.
    Last edited by Mariner; 08-29-2009 at 10:50 AM.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

MRD

This is about the only way I'll eat eggplant. And it's a great dip for parties, especially if you have vegetarian friends

Baba Ganoush

Ingredients
    1 large eggplant (about 1 pound)
    1 glove garlic, minced
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, plus more for garnish
    2 tablespoons tahini (you can substitute plain yogurt or sour cream)
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    Directions
    Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Prick eggplant with a fork and place on a cookie sheet lined with foil. Bake the eggplant until it is soft inside, about 20 minutes. Alternatively, grill the eggplant over a gas grill, rotating it around until the skin is completely charred, about 10 minutes. Let the eggplant cool. Cut the eggplant in half lengthwise, drain off the liquid, and scoop the pulp into a food processor. Process the eggplant until smooth and transfer to a medium bowl.

On a cutting board, work garlic and 1/4 teaspoon salt together with the flat side of a knife, until it forms a paste. Add the garlic-salt mixture to the eggplant. Stir in the parsley, tahini, and lemon juice. Season with more salt, to taste. Garnish with additional parsley.

Serve with pita chips or crackers.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I love baba ghanoush! They have variations at several Mediterranean / Middle Eastern / North African restaurants around here.
    My favorite is at a Lebanese restaurant/art gallery in the Point Loma area; they add a touch of sumac (not poison sumac like you get from hiking in the woods) to it, and it adds a wonderfully smokey complexity. It's kind of addictive.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

I once had a cuban dish with eggplant and it was divine. I don't know the name of it so can't find a recipe for it. Had it at a party and didn't know the person who brought it to get the recipe.

Ellen, have you ever eaten the baba ganoush warm? My recipe calls for it to be chilled. But I actually like to make it while the eggplant is still hot from the oven and I prefer it warm.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3684019;
    I once had a cuban dish with eggplant and it was divine. I don't know the name of it so can't find a recipe for it. Had it at a party and didn't know the person who brought it to get the recipe.
    My ex MIL used to make a to-die-for Cuban stuffed eggplant called Beranjena Rellenas (or something close to that). It was filled with ground pork or beef plus cheese, bread crumbs and onions.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3684019;
    Ellen, have you ever eaten the baba ganoush warm? My recipe calls for it to be chilled. But I actually like to make it while the eggplant is still hot from the oven and I prefer it warm.
    Yes -- I prefer it warm, too, because so many of the wonderful subtle flavors disappear when it's chilled. What's the sense in that? The Lebanese place I'd mentioned earlier -- the one that serves my favorite version of baba ghanoush -- serves it warm.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;3684153;
    My ex MIL used to make a to-die-for Cuban stuffed eggplant called Beranjena Rellenas (or something close to that). It was filled with ground pork or beef plus cheese, bread crumbs and onions.
    That kind of sounds like it. You don't have the recipe by chance would you?

Well I searched the recipes I inherited from her and couldn't find it but this one I found online seems like it's the same:

INGREDIENTS (should serve 6)

* 6 tablespoons of butter

* 3 eggplants

* 3 cups of herbed bread stuffing

* 1 – 2 cups of onions (minced)

* 1-2 cups of milk

* 1/2Ib ground chuck

* salt

* parmesan cheese

PREPARATION

Although ‘eggplant’ may not sound too exotic, Berenjenas Rellenas is actually a favorite appetizer among Cuban nationals – so if your gusts know you’re serving this, your sure to attract a real Cuban element to your party! In preparing the dish, you need to saute onions in butter in a nine-inch skillet - but only for a couple of minutes. Once you see that the onions have started to become translucent – stop! Then add either some ground turkey or beef and cook for 10 minutes – stirring as you go. After you have done this, get your eggplant and cut this in half (lengthwise). Take the center out of the eggplant – put keep this to one side to use in the filling. Then you need to boil the skins for approximately five minutes before placing them on a cookie sheet and draining them. Best to drain them on paper tissues. Moving on you take the center of the eggplant that you previously put to one side and put this in the skillet. Cook this until it becomes tender and then remove it when it starts to become piping hot. Add ½ a cup of bread stuffing, milk and seasoning and leave it to cook for ten minutes. Put this mixture carefully back into the eggplant and then sprinkle with herbed bread stuffing and parmesan cheese. Put this in a preheated (400 degrees Fahrenheit) oven and cook for 20 minutes. Bingo, your Berenjenas Rellenas are ready to be served!

+ Reply to Thread