+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 47 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Anyone got a recipe for...

Re: Anyone got a recipe for...

My husband made a salsa tonight (for grilled turkey breast cutlets) with nectarines -- but peaches work just as well.
    The main ingredients are nectarines (or peaches or mangoes), orange juice, onions, dried cranberries, some sort of chili pepper for heat, fresh rosemary, and toasted pecans.

Dice the peaches (or nectarines or mangoes) -- about the size of tomato cubes in a tomato-based salsa fresca. Add to it a little orange juice, lime juice, diced red onions (or any kind of onions, or no onions, if you don't like), and diced hot chili pepper (anything from jalapeño to habañero) -- amount depends on how you like your sweet/spicy ratio. Add to it some dried cranberries, chopped fresh rosemary and chopped toasted pecans. He may have added cilantro, too -- sometimes he does, sometimes not. The "recipe" never comes out the same way twice. Coarse salt, if needed/desired.

This is our favorite summer salsa with poultry or even light seafood. It's very refreshing, and a nice break from the usual tomato- and tomatillo-based salsas.
    ============================== ======
    I forgot: we've also just cut peaches in half (remove the stone) and grill them flat side down for a few minutes. Serve with vanilla ice cream, raspberry sorbet, crème fraîche or yogurt or goat cheese, with or without a drizzle of honey -- or just naked.
    Last edited by Ellen; 08-18-2009 at 02:00 AM.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Gutmutter-This is my mom's peach cobbler recipe that is to die for. I'm currently using it with black raspberries which I have in abundance.

Melt 1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter in a medium baking dish at 350*.
    Add 3/4 c. sugar to 3 c. peaches
    In a seperate bowl mix:
    1/2 c. sugar
    3/4 c. flour
    2 t. baking powder
    3/4 c. milk

Take hot dish with butter out of oven, spoon batter on top, put the peaches on that.
    Bake @350* for 45 min.
    This is a peach cobbler recipe from the old thread, Gutmutter posted it. It is really good and easy. Make sure to eat it hot out of the oven. I might have to make this, MI peaches are in season right now.

Thanks Gnomie! That recipe is perfect! I think I have higher standards about what constitutes an "easy" recipe 'cause the Pioneer Woman one had WAY too many steps. It sounded yummy (as anything with caramel sauce does!), but I'm too lazy!

I'll be making this one later tonight when it cools off enough to turn on the oven! I will try to restrain myself and not eat it all out of the pan!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3666962;
    I will try to restrain myself and not eat it all out of the pan!
    Good luck with that! I'm totally making this now. Ever since I posted it, its been on my brain.

Quote Originally Posted by Yardgnome;3666965;
    Good luck with that! I'm totally making this now. Ever since I posted it, its been on my brain.
    It sounds so easy that I may have to stop by the store and pick up some fruit or berries tonight and make it too!! Hmmm...I'll have to also grab some whipped cream or ice cream to go with it...

Also, someone else in the old thread suggested adding cinnamon into the batter to give it a little extra flavor. I love cinnamon and add it whenever I make that recipe. Just putting it out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Yardgnome;3667377;
    Also, someone else in the old thread suggested adding cinnamon into the batter to give it a little extra flavor. I love cinnamon and add it whenever I make that recipe. Just putting it out there.
    DARN! I wish I had read that first because it sounds great!
    However, I have a freshly baked raspberry cobbler cooling on top of the oven at this very moment. In just a bit I'm going to whip up some fresh cream and dig in with the kiddos!!!

Thanks for bumping that old recipe! I have a bowl full of ripe peaches and need to make something with them soon. I'm glad for the reminder about cinnamon. That does make a nice addition.
    Count your blessings!

I finally made the peach cobbler tonight. I forgot how delicious it really is. I also love that it is so easy to make as well. Thank you Gut for posting and sharing that wonderful recipe.

FORT Fogey

Eggplant Ideas?--Without Tomatoes

Hi--even though I've been a reader and then poster on FORT for a long time I just found this forum.

I am always looking for new and healthful ways to prepare fruits and veggines.

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas or recipes for preparing Eggplant--but without tomatoes being involved?

I only seem to be able to find eggplant/tomato combos but I don't like that flavor combination.

Thanks for any ideas and info.

+ Reply to Thread