+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 47 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Anyone got a recipe for...

Re: Anyone got a recipe for...

Yeah, the same goes for wine in recipes. I use the two buck chuck from Trader Joes. Sometimes I use an entire bottle in my recipes and the ingredients can add up.

I am having an open house after my daughter's college graduation this weekend. I don't have lots of time to prepare food so am looking for some ideas. We like simple food and plan to have fruit like grapes and fresh strawberries (local and delicious), cheese, vegetables and some sort of protein dishes...focusing on healthy type food mostly. This is going to be an outdoor party with the food on a table inside, so I should have control over keeping things warm and cool...and it is supposed to be in the 70's this weekend, so it won't be too hot or cold (yeah!).

I have lettuce and basil and baby radishes in my garden, so they might be useful for something. I just can't think of what right now - too much going on with my job (at a school) to think straight.

I made some chili verde pork last weekend and it was so good that we thought we could freeze it and use it for something like an appetizer that I could pop in the oven every so often. Does anyone have an idea about this? Shredded slightly spicy pork on top of ??? and with ????

Also, I would like to get some endive and put a filling in it, but can't decide on ingredients. I have eaten a cream cheese "something" in endive before and it was delicious, but don't know what was in it. Ideas?

I have some roasted peppers in my freezer I can use for something too, if needed.

I will be going to a Costco and Trader Joes the night before the party, so things that are available there would be good...I don't live close enough to shop there often, so if you have any tips or menu ideas in general, I would appreciate your input.

MRD

You can do cream cheese with garlic and chives for the endive filling. Baby radishes with a dip using fresh basil and mayo or sour cream?

I have a faboo strawberry recipe.

Combine 1 package of cream cheese with 1/2 cup of confectioners sugar and 1/2 tsp. almond or vanilla extract (I prefer almond).
    Slice the green off the strawberry and turn it upside down and make an X in the tip and spread apart a little bit. Fill a pasty bag or ziplock with the cream cheese mixture and pipe in the X of the strawberry. Sprinkle with almonds or chopped pecans. You can also drizzle with a little melted chocolate. When I make these, I have NONE left.

Use the shredded pork and make little tacos or burritos. I've seen the really little shells at Whole foods. They are about 2-3 bites each. Or you could do nachos with it too.

Have fun and congrats on the graduation.

This is also a great recipe that is always gone in a flash and I'm always asked for the recipe and no one ever believes what's in it. You could put it in the endive as well.

Chicken Cheese ball.
    1 large can white meat chicken, drained and shredded
    2 packages of cream cheese softened
    1/4 cup of minced onion.
    Mix well (I use a food processor) and form into a ball. Roll in chopped parsley or chopped pecans and refrigerate until it firms back up. Serve with crackers or pipe into endive leaves. Also makes a great sandwich spread on bread. (it makes a big ball, so I sometimes make 2 balls out of it. I have also frozen one of the balls before and it thaws out rather well)

I'm serious when I say it's really, really good and everyone is AMAZED it uses canned chicken.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

The basil and roasted peppers might work in a bruschetta, or they'd definitely work with some sliced fresh mozzarella on sliced bread, like a baguette.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy;3492671;
    The basil and roasted peppers might work in a bruschetta, or they'd definitely work with some sliced fresh mozzarella on sliced bread, like a baguette.
    If it wasn't 12:30 a.m., I'd be in the kitchen making bruschetta. I've been hungry for days and couldn't figure out what it was that I wanted. But now that you mention bruschetta, I could definetly go for it right now.

Thanks for the ideas, you are helping me get over my entertainment anxiety...and to be excited over this part of the weekend. I am so proud of my daughter. I have been working on my yard and house for weeks to make it ready and the food is the next important part.

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie;3492642;
    I made some chili verde pork last weekend and it was so good that we thought we could freeze it and use it for something like an appetizer that I could pop in the oven every so often. Does anyone have an idea about this? Shredded slightly spicy pork on top of ??? and with ????

Also, I would like to get some endive and put a filling in it, but can't decide on ingredients. I have eaten a cream cheese "something" in endive before and it was delicious, but don't know what was in it. Ideas?

I have some roasted peppers in my freezer I can use for something too, if needed.
    Get some TJ's puff pastry sheets, roll the chile verde pork in them (even add Montery Jack cheese and those roasted peppers to the mix), stick 'em in the freezer to set, slice to make those roll-y pinwheel-y thingies, put them on a parchment-lined baking sheet, and bake at 350ºF for 20 - 30 minutes.

For the endive filling, I'd recommend TJ's chèvre mixed with your fresh basil and fresh thyme, and a bit of lemon or lime zest.

Fresh figs, cut in half, dollop of chèvre, put under broiler for a few minutes until cheese gets "melty," drizzle with a little honey or fig balsamic vinegar, top with freshly grated nutmeg.

Really easy quickie: TJ's portobello and truffle flatbread -- bake according to package directions and cut into little finger-food sized pieces.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I just got an enameled dutch oven - from Emeril's line. Anyone have any good recipes for using a dutch oven?
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

MRD

Go to just recipes, I'll post one of my family favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3492668;

I have a faboo strawberry recipe.

Combine 1 package of cream cheese with 1/2 cup of confectioners sugar and 1/2 tsp. almond or vanilla extract (I prefer almond).
    Slice the green off the strawberry and turn it upside down and make an X in the tip and spread apart a little bit. Fill a pasty bag or ziplock with the cream cheese mixture and pipe in the X of the strawberry. Sprinkle with almonds or chopped pecans. You can also drizzle with a little melted chocolate. When I make these, I have NONE left.
    This recipe sounds like something I bought at the Farmer's Market called "Quark". It is a sweetened cream cheese that is flavored with things like lemon or vanilla. Anyone had Quark before? I think it is a German Cream Cheese that you dollop on fresh fruit like strawberries.

Another thing to do with strawberries is to dip them in chocolate. They look so elegant and are very popular with kids and adults.

+ Reply to Thread