+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 47 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Anyone got a recipe for...

Re: Anyone got a recipe for...

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3346024;
    My pimento cheese is one pound of sharp cheddar that I grate myself as the already grated stuff you buy doesn't work well for this.
    1 of the small jars of diced pimentos with the juice and enough mayo to make it creamy and smooth. I may add a touch of salt and pepper and sometimes a dash of worchestershire sauce. It's better if it refrigerates overnight, but I never make it that long. I know some that add some grated onion to it, but I don't. I am a pimento cheese purist.
    Ok that sounds so good. I'm sorry if I've missed a discussion of this before but is this something you use as a spread on crackers or is it a sandwich filler?
    CYA

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;3346204;
    Ok that sounds so good. I'm sorry if I've missed a discussion of this before but is this something you use as a spread on crackers or is it a sandwich filler?
    Either. I also make twice baked potatos with it.

But it's traditionally a sandwich spread.

Don't use the already grated as they dust that with flour to keep it from sticking and the flour keeps the cheese from absorbing all the goodness in the mayo and pimento. So that's why freshly grated is better for this recipe, it allows all the flavors to combine and become one delicious creamy, spread.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Thanks MRD. I've never tried it with a pinch of worchshire (sp) sauce. I have made it before with the pre-grated cheese and it really does suffer in taste. I am sad to say I even bought some already made at the grocery store and couldn't even choke it down. Could be the brand I bought but from now on I'll just make my own.

I made fried cabbage tonight as a side dish. It was pretty good.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

MRD

Grocery store pimento cheese is horrible. Never, ever buy that nasty stuff. And it's neon ORANGE? What is up with that?

Homemade is fairly easy to make (I have a grater attachment on my food processor, so grating the cheese is a snap) and so much better than that orange stuff that is just the nastiest stuff ever made. I don't even know anyone that admits to buying it, but someone must as they still sell it in the stores.

Duke's sandwich shop here makes the best, so I dont' make my own that often as I love going to Duke's and getting it. But there's is made on site and it's not neon orange either.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fan

Im looking for a recipe for slow cooked (crockpot or stove) sausage, peppers and onions. Anyone have one?
    thank you

I just made this yesterday. I only wish I had a larger crockpot so I could have made more. We had some of my son's friends here today so there were no leftovers to be had. This is the recipe I've always used.

Ingredients:
    2 lbs. sweet or hot Italian sausages
    2 onions, chopped
    2 green peppers, cut into 2" pieces
    1 red bell pepper, cut into 2" pieces
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    14 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
    6 oz. can low sodium tomato paste
    1/2 cup dry red wine or beef broth
    1 Tbsp. dried Italian seasoning
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    Preparation:
    Cook sausage in heavy skillet over medium heat until browned, turning occasionally. Layer half of the onions on bottom of 3-4 quart crockpot, then add half of the peppers. Add all of the browned sausage, then the rest of the onions and peppers.
    Add diced undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, and red wine to skillet and and cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring to loosen brown bits on bottom. Pour over mixture in crockpot. Cover slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours. One hour before mixture is done, add Italian seasoning and pepper to crockpot and stir well. Cover and cook one more hour until sausage is thoroughly cooked and vegetables are tender. Serves 8
    CYA

That sounds like something my DH would love, Bunny555. What do you serve it with?
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

We usually just have it with a salad and Italian bread to soak up the sauce.
    CYA

Fort Member

Hi guys,
    I am after a tried and tested good Chicken and Sausage Gumbo recipe that does not use Okra or File Powder both of these things are difficult to find in Australia. While I have found a couple of recipes on the net I would prefer to try one that someone I know has cooked.
    I know how to make a Roux as i make my own sauces but not sure what the consistancy of the roux should be and the colour as I am not used to burning it yet it appears it has to be cooked until it is a shade of brown colour in some recipes and a peanut butter colour in others
    See I have no idea, any help would be appreciated

Lucynda,
    I made plenty of gumbo without File Powder but I love okra so I always use it. The funny thing is my ex-neighbor was from Lafayette, LA and she made "a big ol pot of gumbo" for the Saints-Niner games and invite all the neighbors over while she rooted for the Saints and we for the 49ers. In case you're wondering, these are names of American Football teams. Anyway, she never used okra or file powder in her gumbo and it was delicious! She always used a spice called "Tony Chacheres" Cajun spice.
    Tony Chachere's Creole Kitchen

And here is a link on how to make a perfect roux! It is sort of a deep caramel color. Good Luck with your gumbo and let us know how it comes out!
    How To Make a Roux

+ Reply to Thread