+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 47 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Anyone got a recipe for...

Re: Anyone got a recipe for...

I need a recipe for ambrosia salad. My son tasted it for the first time at a party last weekend and asked me to make it for Christmas.
    Thanks!

MRD

I always make it with peeled, sectioned oranges and pink grapefruit, chopped apples, strawberries and any other fruit like that and then mix in chopped pecans and sprinkle the top with flaked coconut.

I find that the juices from the fruit negate the need for a "dressing' other than maybe whipped cream.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD

urgent help needed!!

I got some Lil' Smokies and I want to throw them in the crockpot tonight and my dilemma is that my husband hates them done with grape jelly or sweet and sour sauce. I don't like them in BBQ sauce and I don't want to have to go back to the store.

Anyone have an idea what I can put in with them? We don't mind them a little sweet, but not overpoweringly so.

I have a lot of ingredients on hand that I could probably make something with.

I don't want to make pigs in a blanket as that means a trip to the store.

I wish he'd just eat them in grape jelly as that's SO easy.

Thanks.

I have never heard of it in jeilly myself. We always do it in BBQ sauce and beer.

Maybe skip the bbq sauce and just do them in BEER!! yummo

I was going to suggest a really easy Oriental sauce that I make, but thought about the smoky flavor, and...yuck. I can't think of anything for the Lil Smokies other than barbecue sauce.
    The Oriental thing might be ok with thew meatballs you mentioned elsewhere; just mix 2 cups of water, 2 tablespoons of cornstarch, half a bottle of prepared Oyster Sauce (from Oriental section of most stores) and a tablespoon or more of soy sauce, and simmer it until it starts to thicken (guess not to thicken it too much if it is going in the crockpot) and add 2 teaspoons of Sesame oil, continue cooking until it's thick enough to use.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

How about a honey mustard glaze, mrd? I once was at a work party where someone had made kielbasa with honey mustard sauce in a crockpot. It was delicious! I don't know the exact measurements, but the coworker told me she had just mixed honey, spicy mustard and a little orange juice.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3257300;
    urgent help needed!!

I got some Lil' Smokies and I want to throw them in the crockpot tonight and my dilemma is that my husband hates them done with grape jelly or sweet and sour sauce. I don't like them in BBQ sauce and I don't want to have to go back to the store.

Anyone have an idea what I can put in with them? We don't mind them a little sweet, but not overpoweringly so.

Thanks.
    What about spaghetti sauce?
    I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like.

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3257230;
    I need a recipe for ambrosia salad. My son tasted it for the first time at a party last weekend and asked me to make it for Christmas.
    Thanks!

My grandmother always made Ambrosia and served it out of her punch bowl! My mother now has the punch bowl and I somehow ended up being the one to make the Ambrosia. I spent most of today doing just that.

"My" version isn't really a salad - more of a fruity dessert that needs to be eaten with a spoon - but it is good and it is GREAT for breakfast in the days after Christmas. My father insists on having Ambrosia and his grandmother's Pound Cake (which I spent the rest of today baking) for breakfast during the holidays.

6-8 peeled, chopped oranges
    2 cups green grapes (I slice the grapes in half)
    1 large box frozen strawberries
    Orange Juice
    Coconut

Mix fruit together. Add orange juice and coconut. Serve chilled.

There are SO many variations of Ambrosia. That's just the way that I do it.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Thanks for the Ambrosia ideas....I found an easy one online using canned fruit and cool whip. We usually have dungeness crab salad on Christmas but I couldn't find 2 lbs of shelled crab and I didnt feel like cracking and peeling so I skipped it this year.
    Anyway, regarding the smokies. I've seen them at parties served simply with a toothpick dipped in mustard. Looks and sounds simple enough but not sure if that is what you're looking for. I just can't imagine throwing them in a crockpot with grape jelly???

MRD

Actually I like the grape jelly, but hubby doesn't. The grape jelly thing is easy.

I wanted everything in the crockpots as we went to church and were eating afterwards.
    I concocted a sauce using ketchup, some brown sugar and worchestershire sauce and it was pretty good.

+ Reply to Thread