+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Grilling it like you've a freezer full and the power's out...

what are you watching? iguanachocolate's Avatar

Grilling it like you've a freezer full and the power's out...

After having just survived 6 days and 19 hours with no electricity, I did my fair share of grilling last week. Anyone have any good tips for grilling? Best foods? Secret sauces? Is it really possible to boil a pot of water on a grill? Inquiring minds want to know....
    A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it. ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958

Re: Grilling it like you've a freezer full and the power's out...

For me, the same tips for stove cooking meat applies to grilling: do not move the meat around and do not press on it.
    My favorite thing to grill this summer was deboned chicken thighs. I marinate them in a Korean BBQ sauce and slap them on the grill. Quick and easy and so tasty.

It's absolutely possible to boil water on the grill! About ten years ago, the power went out on Thanksgiving around 11:00 a.m. We ended up cooking the sides all out on the grill in pots. The turkey - and I don't recommend this under any circumstances - basically got poached on the stove. The gravy looked (and tasted) like library paste We refer to it as our Survivor Thanksgiving!

My brother's last apartment was a studio on the beach with a kitchenette and no stove. He bought a big deal grill and did all his cooking outside. He didn't just grill either: he cooks most of his food in a cast iron skillet or a wok. It took a bit of getting used to, but he came to prefer it. Of course, when you live in SoCal right on the beach, you can use the grill outside all year round without freezing to death!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

MRD

Have made many a pot of coffee on a grill by boiling water in metal coffee pot and adding a basket of coffee to it. (sort of like a percolator type coffee pot)
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

One thing I wouldn't be without is my grill basket. Probably once a week I toss a mix of veggies (zucchini, onions, asparagus, mushrooms etc) with a little olive oil, balsamic vinegar, throw on a few herbs and grill them. Yum. I don't like broccoli or cauliflower on the grill (hubby likes broccoli) but almost any other veg is great. I usually add the mushrooms and tender veggies in a little later.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;3205476;
    One thing I wouldn't be without is my grill basket. Probably once a week I toss a mix of veggies (zucchini, onions, asparagus, mushrooms etc) with a little olive oil, balsamic vinegar, throw on a few herbs and grill them. Yum. I don't like broccoli or cauliflower on the grill (hubby likes broccoli) but almost any other veg is great. I usually add the mushrooms and tender veggies in a little later.
    Ooh, that sounds fantastic. A grill is the one thing I really wish I could have-- but alas, I don't have a balcony. I do love fresh grilled veggies though, both alone and in a sandwich. Just slice open a baguette, top with goat cheese and vegetables and maybe some balsamic vinegar (depending on the veggies)... so good.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I was just going to start a thread on grilling but found this existing thread after a quick search. The title of this thread is ironic because my family has grilled in those circumstances. When Hurricane Kate came through town years ago, we lost power for several days and my mom had just loaded up the freezer with meat so we had a BBQ in the middle of the storm, cooking up whatever might spoil. Plus, it was so close to the holidays, we got an extra week off from school. Best hurricane I've ever been through!

Anyway, back to grilling...

I've always used a charcoal grill. It might not be the healthiest for you or the most economical but it sure makes the food taste good. I just got ribeye steaks at the store this weekend and cooked up a few so I could have them during the week. I had a salad and some steak for lunch today. Last night, I put some mushrooms in a foil packet and cooked them on the grill with the steak. They probably would have been better on a skewer but I wasn't sure where my skewers were so it was easier to do it the other way.

I'm not sure what would be my favorite thing to have on the grill. I always have a dilemma at picnics where you can have a hotdog or hamburger and usually try to get one of each. Also love steak, chicken, or pork chops on the grill.

I haven't done too many vegetables alone on the grill. I usually have vegetables on shish kebabs. My favorite way to do shish kebabs is to have the meat on one skewer, vegetables (onion, bell pepper, cherry tomatoes) on another skewer, and fruit (cherries, pineapple) on its own skewer. To serve it, everything is taken off the skewers and put on a plate so everyone can take some. We usually have rice with shish kebabs.

I don't need a lot of seasoning on meat. It gets enough flavor from grilling that it doesn't need to be coated with too much sauce or seasoning. Hamburgers and steak get a little seasoning salt and shish kebabs and chicken get bbq sauce brushed on them while cooking.

As for cooking other things on the grill, once while we were camping I made our green bean casserole on the grill. I used a bayonet to open the cans since I couldn't find a can opener and cooked the green beans and cream of mushroom soup on a pot on the campfire, adding the french fried onions last. It came out just fine!

I'd like to do more grilling than I do but with the cost of meat and charcoal, I don't get to do it so much now. If I had a place in the country with plenty of wood to burn and a big old grill, I'd probably grill every day!

Yum. Everything you all have mentioned here sounds great.
    I was mowing today, and noticed we have corn almost ready to pick. I love corn on the cob, grilled in the husks (soaked in water first so they don't burn). As for meats, I love ribs cooked slow and low all day in the oven, then finished up on a smokey grill w/ some sauce.

I have been doing a lot of grilling lately. We had pork chops yesterday and they were good. I grill veggies to and lots of time I will put my potatoes chopped up in a foli pouch and cook them while I am cooking the meat.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

We've just learned the "art" of grilling. LOL that is to say, we just got a grill and realized how fun and easy it is to grill. it's charcoal and we use the match light stuff. there are only 2 of us so steaks take no time at all and we make a quick salad for the side and voila, 30-45 min max for dinner from start to finish. love our grill. It's not huge but not too small and easy clean up as the racks come on (3 of them and are easy to manage). We haven't tried pork steaks yet but there's always a first time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast