+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: The Wedding Thread

Re: The Wedding Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Spoose;4092214;
    ...my husband to be insisted on yellow roses. I asked him why and he smiled and said "you'll figure it out"....our wedding planner...asked why we had picked yellow. As I looked down at the yellow roses and beautiful ivory calli lillies against my ivory dress....I finally realized...yellow was my dad's favorite color. My wonderful husband had made sure that my dad could be there to walk me down the aisle after all....
    He really is a keeper; what a wonderfully thoughtful gift! Best wishes for a long and happy life together with many, many more wonderful stories to come!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

What a beautiful story and a thoughtful new husband. Best wishes for many happy years together.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Wow, Spoose...how romantic. With such a sweet, thoughtful husband, you will have many great years together.

Congratulations on your marriage Spoose. Your new husband sounds like a sweetheart.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

MRD

I have spent the day polishing the family silver for the wedding reception. I hope my child appreciates the effort that went into this job today.

MRD

OK, a little bragging.

Everyone has questioned my daughter wanting to use sunflowers in a December wedding.
    Went to Michael's with her the other day, armed with coupons and all their fall foliage 70% off. We got EVERYTHING for decorations down to centerpieces, bouquets, coursages, even the arch for the ceremony. Candles, ribbon, coursage pins, 2 new glue guns and more sunflowers, other fall florals for filler, etc. for..................$125.00
    I went over the receipts when we got home and we saved almost $500. The arch we got at 50% off. The flowers were on sale, but everything else went under a "entire purchase 20% off" coupon.
    I just placed an order with Oriental Trading for tablecloths, plates, napkins, flatware, cups, etc. and it was less than $75.
    Who says you have to break the bank to have a wedding? And waiting until the fall stuff was on clearance really paid off.
    Now, just have to start putting it all together and quit arguing over whether the napkins are going to match the ribbon on her bouquet. (I told her we didn't invite the pretentious friends and family that would notice that, we invited the ones that as long as they have food and drink won't notice if martians landed during the reception)

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;4104041;
    OK, a little bragging.

Everyone has questioned my daughter wanting to use sunflowers in a December wedding.
    Went to Michael's with her the other day, armed with coupons and all their fall foliage 70% off. We got EVERYTHING for decorations down to centerpieces, bouquets, coursages, even the arch for the ceremony. Candles, ribbon, coursage pins, 2 new glue guns and more sunflowers, other fall florals for filler, etc. for..................$125.00
    I went over the receipts when we got home and we saved almost $500. The arch we got at 50% off. The flowers were on sale, but everything else went under a "entire purchase 20% off" coupon.
    I just placed an order with Oriental Trading for tablecloths, plates, napkins, flatware, cups, etc. and it was less than $75.
    Who says you have to break the bank to have a wedding? And waiting until the fall stuff was on clearance really paid off.
    Now, just have to start putting it all together and quit arguing over whether the napkins are going to match the ribbon on her bouquet. (I told her we didn't invite the pretentious friends and family that would notice that, we invited the ones that as long as they have food and drink won't notice if martians landed during the reception)
    Excellent shopping, MRD! My hats off to you! I don't have a creative bone in my body and would never attempt all that you are doing! I hope everything goes smoothly from here on and there will be sunny skies for your daughter's wedding. It won't be long, now!

My wedding came off with only one hitch, but it was a BIG one!

My sister-in-law, for whatever reason, didn't feel the need to get a sitter for her 18-month old daughter, who had been sick. Seeing into the future here?

Everything was going swimmingly until it was time for the minister to address the ceremony. When he started talking, my niece began screaming. And screaming. And fussing and crying. My husband and I (and everyone else at the wedding) couldn't hear a thing the minister was saying.

My stupid, ignorant sister-in-law didn't have the common sense or decency to get up and take her out. I was so mortified, I didn't want to turn around and glare at her (wish now I had!), and just hoped it would end in a few seconds. It didn't. I think we heard the last sentence of what the minister was saying when she stopped.

After almost 20 years, I realize that the proper thing to have done was to politely ask the minister to wait a sec, turn around and demand my SIL take my niece out of the church immediately. Back then I didn't want to cause any hard feelings. Now that we're still not friends , I wish I had, nothing to lose but saving my wedding. I can't even bear to watch the video because I know that time will come up and I'll get angry all over again.

Oh well. My husband and I are still happily married. And I'm probably still too timid. But all is well.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

That sucks, SugarMama. There are things on my wedding video that made me cringe for a long time (less so now after 16+ years) because of stupid people. I wish now that I would have halted stuff and said things -- but as a bride, who thinks of that? (Isn't that why we either appoint or hire "people"?)
    I don't know if this helps, but in a few years you'll look at it and laugh. Helpful hint: start making jokes about it now. And see this as a sign to keep SIL at arm's length.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

I realize I never came back in and said anything about the wedding. It was beautiful, very nice and very meaningful. The weather didn't cooperate much, but it was ok. We were able to move the ceremony to the front porch instead of the backyard and it rained up until 1 hour before the ceremony and quit. Then the rain started up again just as soon as they pulled away headed to their honeymoon. We had about 30 people, great food, great time to really visit. We didn't do a lot of the traditional wedding stuff: no bouquet or garter throwing (there were only about 4 unattached people there) and no dances. But because it was small and had to move indoors, it really made it a nicer venue for all the familky and friends to just visit and enjoy each other and no pressure or forced activities. I will have to post some photos.
    SugarMama, it took me 17 years to stand up to my MIL and when I did, she backed off. I wish I had stood up WAY before I did. Fortunately my daughter stood up to hers BEFORE the wedding and she now knows not to pull a lot of sh** with my kid. She had the NERVE to call me before the wedding and start in on me, and I gave her more sh** than my daughter did. I wasn't nasty, I was polite, but firm and told her she was WAY out of line. So, hopefully my kid is starting off without having to deal with what I dealt with.

What was MIL's problem? She thought that the wedding in Florida that they were coming to was a "fake" wedding and that we were having a HUGE, fancy wedding up here that they were not invited too. We could barely afford the small wedding we had, I have NO idea how she got it in her mind that we were having two.
    Oh and she stayed on the front porch for the ENTIRE thing. Never set a foot inside my brothers house after the ceremony. At first some of my family tried to go out and talk to her and include her and they gave up and figured that they were going to enjoy themselves, even if she was determined not too. So the only person she hurt was herself as the rest of us, including her son and husband, had a GREAT time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast