Like Tree1Likes

Thread: The Wedding Thread

MRD

Re: The Wedding Thread

Don't think so.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

If there is a membership bulk store nearby, check at the local library. The two libraries I frequent have BJs cards you can check out for a one-time use.
    If things are low-key enough, you could do what we did at our wedding and tell everyone it's pot luck. I swear, I only spent $40 for our wedding - in our back yard, with flowers from the garden, personal cameras, a white, gauzy dress I already owned, barefoot.
    Count your blessings!

People love anything on a skewer/stick! I would google ideas for satays, sausages, etc. keep it fun!

allrecipes.com is a website I use over and over with good reader reviews. here's a link to some skewer ideas:
    Allrecipes - Recipe Search

Going back to wedding cakes. My first marriage was in 1988 and I did NOT want white cake (always have hated it). The grief I got from the baker to even get yellow cake and then with FILLINGS!! scandalous! lol It was good though - I had one layer filled with lemon and 2 filled with raspberry. Too bad the marriage wasn't as good!

Fast forward 12 years to 2000 and what a difference! My hubby and I chose carrot cake with buttercream (cream cheese icing would have melted outside). It was delicious and we had so many compliments.

but if I was doing a large wedding - I would do the fake cake and sheet cakes in a heartbeat. What a great idea!
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

MRD

Thanks all and I need to go buy those fancy toothpicks. When my daughter was about 3 we were having a hard time getting her to eat and her dr. kept telling us she was underweight. I had tried everything. We went to a wedding and they had those toothpicks with the fancy cellophane ends. We discovered she'd eat anything off of one of those.
    When we got home, I bought a package of those and put them on the table at the next meal and our daughter ate. So we went for a couple months where we used silverware and she used those toothpicks, but she was eating.

So I think it would be a fun memory for me to use those at HER wedding. Thanks for the reminder Gala. It brought back a fond memory

That's wonderful - I bet she's going to get such a kick out of it! Not to mention all the hard work you and your family are putting into her special day
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden;4046469;
    mrd Do you have GFS marketplace in Florida? It is another store that sells bulk foods and party supplies and you don't have to have a membership to shop.
    GFS locations in Florida

GFS Marketplace Store Locations - GFS.com
    Last edited by Unklescott; 08-25-2010 at 11:26 AM.

MRD, at my daughter's outdoor wedding in May, we had cheese straws, fruit and vegetable trays, swedish meatballs, chicken nugget bites (NOT like the fast food, these were made by the caterer and were heavenly), those little triangular chicken salad sandwiches, pimento cheese, a pickle tray and several other things I can't remember right off. The wedding was in a local garden created and maintained by the University of Georgia/Georgia experiment station and was absolutely lovely. Total of about 35-40 guests. Wish I had posted pictures online somewhere, but I am somewhat ignorant as to how to do that! ANYway, just trying to give a few more suggestions.

By the way, go to the Talk About Your Troubles thread....I sent you an invitation.
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

MRD

Thanks Unk, I'm about 3 1/2 hours from the closest one.
    But my cousin offered to take me to the AFB commisary to buy the wine, beer and champagne.

Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions.
    Elizabeth your daughter's wedding sounds lovely. And some more great suggestions. I'm afraid now that I have to narrow down the menu. And because my mom and I apparantly were cooks for the Russian Army in another life, I will make WAY more food than we could EVER eat.

I got married a few weeks ago in beautiful Lake Louise, AB. I could gush for pages on how wonderful everything was, but I wanted to share a quick story...

For several reasons, we decided to "run away" to get married (just the two of us). Our families are scattered across the country, my dad passed away 11 years ago (I could have had my mom walk me down the aisle, but it didn't seem to be the same sentiment), and we just wanted to be able to focus on each other and not deal with all the drama. We worked with some fabulous wedding planners who literally took care of everything...we just showed up with my dress! Shortly before leaving, we were picking out the flowers for my bouquet. I was drooling over some beautiful orange/red lily arrangements (perfect for a fall wedding), but my husband to be insisted on yellow roses. I asked him why and he smiled and said "you'll figure it out". I'm pretty easy going so I went with it.I was just looking forward to the big day!

The day of the ceremony, our wedding planner was helping me get ready...hubby to be was already waiting in the hotel lobby. When she handed me my bouquet, she asked why we had picked yellow. As I looked down at the yellow roses and beautiful ivory calli lillies against my ivory dress....I finally realized...yellow was my dad's favorite color. My wonderful husband had made sure that my dad could be there to walk me down the aisle after all. Needless to say, I love him more and more every day!

We're still waiting to see our pictures...I can hardly wait!
    Baby's Breath likes this.
    Don't let the small things sweat

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spoose;4092214;
    I got married a few weeks ago in beautiful Lake Louise, AB. I could gush for pages on how wonderful everything was, but I wanted to share a quick story...

For several reasons, we decided to "run away" to get married (just the two of us). Our families are scattered across the country, my dad passed away 11 years ago (I could have had my mom walk me down the aisle, but it didn't seem to be the same sentiment), and we just wanted to be able to focus on each other and not deal with all the drama. We worked with some fabulous wedding planners who literally took care of everything...we just showed up with my dress! Shortly before leaving, we were picking out the flowers for my bouquet. I was drooling over some beautiful orange/red lily arrangements (perfect for a fall wedding), but my husband to be insisted on yellow roses. I asked him why and he smiled and said "you'll figure it out". I'm pretty easy going so I went with it.I was just looking forward to the big day!

The day of the ceremony, our wedding planner was helping me get ready...hubby to be was already waiting in the hotel lobby. When she handed me my bouquet, she asked why we had picked yellow. As I looked down at the yellow roses and beautiful ivory calli lillies against my ivory dress....I finally realized...yellow was my dad's favorite color. My wonderful husband had made sure that my dad could be there to walk me down the aisle after all. Needless to say, I love him more and more every day!

We're still waiting to see our pictures...I can hardly wait!

What a wonderful story! Thanks for sharing it with us. Your new hubby sounds like a keeper! Congratulations on your marriage and may you both have many years together filled with love, laughter, and happiness!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast