+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: The Wedding Thread

Re: The Wedding Thread

MRD- what about some sort of spinach pie? You could fill phyllo dough with a spinach filling and fold into triangles. I think that could be made ahead and frozen then cooked the day you are going to serve them. I've also seen something similar filled with some sort of meat filling. I don't have any specific recipe for either, but I'm sure there is a recipe out there with a google search.

Quote Originally Posted by Yardgnome;4045873;
    MRD- what about some sort of spinach pie? You could fill phyllo dough with a spinach filling and fold into triangles.
    My husband makes those, too -- here's a link to the recipe in Cooking Light magazine: Mini-Spanakopitas (Greek Spinach Pies) Recipe - MyRecipes.com

Oh, and the sausage rolls aren't really balls; they're really more "pinwheels" with puff pastry as the dough. I'd recommend them over Bisquik -- nicer, lighter, crispier texture. Easier, too.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Ellen- that recipe looks good. Now I want to make them.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

MRD, I can offer you my experience on the beer/wine situation. Last October my sister got married and they went fairly DYI as well. The guests were around 80 people and they got 4 cases of beer from Costco and 4 cases of wine (two red, two white) and one case of prosecco (white Italian sparkling wine used for the champagne toast) from a wine/liquor store. At the end of the night, there were 2 cases of wine untouched but most of the beer went, despite my efforts to consume as much red wine as humanly possible . I think that was due to the younger guy guests being so numerous. So for a group of 30, probably one case of wine would do and probably 1-2 cases of beer. Also, you could ask the people at the liquor store if they have an estimate and if they have a buy-back policy for un-opened bottles.

Another tip, just to throw it out there, if there is a cooking or catering school nearby, they may have students who would work as the prep people on the cheap. My sister had a hand-full of girlfriends of the guys her husband is friends with volunteer to help with putting stuff out at the start of the reception, but that kind of went by the wayside as the night went on.

My brother's wedding was outside and they did buffet style. The caterer did a really fabulous pasta salad with orzo and baby shrimp and black olives with, I think, celery and green onion with a mayo base. It was delicious and different from the usual picnic-type pasta salad.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;4046010;
    ...Another tip, just to throw it out there, if there is a cooking or catering school nearby, they may have students who would work as the prep people on the cheap. ...
    I wish so much that money were no object, and that hubby and I could take off from work and travel whenever -- cuz it would be so much fun for us to make yummy munchies for your daughter's wedding. (And have a little Florida vay-cay when it was finished...) sigh But PhoneGrrrl's suggestion is a really good one! Wish I would've thought of it for my wedding.

Quote Originally Posted by Yardgnome;4045943;
    Ellen- that recipe looks good. Now I want to make them.
    The mini-spanakopitas? They are yummy! What's not in the recipe, though, that we love to add, are toasted pine nuts, if we have them around. They add a nice texture and a little happy-happy for the tastebuds. And if I think of it, I grate some fresh nutmeg on top (just before popping into the oven -- or even after they come out) for more flavor and an attempt at a gourmet touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;4046168;
    The mini-spanakopitas? They are yummy! What's not in the recipe, though, that we love to add, are toasted pine nuts, if we have them around. They add a nice texture and a little happy-happy for the tastebuds. And if I think of it, I grate some fresh nutmeg on top (just before popping into the oven -- or even after they come out) for more flavor and an attempt at a gourmet touch.
    Yes, the mini spanikopitas. I love spinach pie, and now I have a recipe to try out for them. I'll definitely add the pine nuts, I have a package of them right now. I'm not a huge fan of nutmeg, so I might pass on that. I definitely plan to make these soon though.

MRD

Great ideas guys. Love them all and am making a list. I will check into the school thing. But with only 30 guests and it all being family, I think that it won't be necessary to cater out. My SIL and my neice and cousin are now offering to help as is my bff who's daughter is a bridesmaid and they are like family. I think it will be ok.
    And out of 30 people, only 3 will be underage and you've never been around my family. My SIL can drink 3 bottles of wine by herself. And I figure that any leftovers will not go to waste.

Ellen, I would love it if you and your hubby could come cater and vacation. The Tampa Bay area is a great place to visit and Dec. isn't a bad time. The weather is nice then.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

mrd Do you have GFS marketplace in Florida? It is another store that sells bulk foods and party supplies and you don't have to have a membership to shop.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast