+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: The Wedding Thread

Re: The Wedding Thread

thanks, Lois. We had a beautiful day that day - weather cooperated and all (if only my mother in law cooperated!). The pic is kinda small, but if you look closely to the left of the cake, there is a small cake there. That was a real cake that we used for the cake cutting part of the reception. We had pictures and all.

Yeah, when we looked into started a fake cake business, we noticed that most businesses were in Canada. Not so many in the US, though. None in the city where I am. It would be a cool business, and probably a lot of fun if you like decorating cakes, since you don't really bake anything, just decorate. And I'm sure it would do well since weddings are so expensive and any way to cut costs is usually welcomed. I'm not sure I could ever eat fondant again after seeing how long this stuff lasts. My wedding cake to this day looks like it was just made yesterday. And that fondant is now 4+ years old!

LG.

I wouldn't recommend a chocolate fountain at a wedding. I was at a holiday party with one and the chocolate was EVERYWHERE because it drips off of the things that people are dipping into it. I would hate for the bride's white or ivory dress to get chocolate dripped all over it by clumsy guests, kids (who were covered in chocolate at the holiday party) or even herself trying to sneak a bite. I think they're fine for an outdoor casual event.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

MRD

I watch Ace of Cakes on Food network and they slipped up and said on a just "regular" wedding cake, not one of their amazing creations, that it cost $1500.00.
    I can't imagine what some of their really out there cakes cost.

My wedding cake was $125 back in 1989 and I thought my mom would stroke out at that price. But I had something that was REALLY mew at the time called an Australian Wedding Cake. And I had Chocolate with raspberry filling which also was REALLY different at the time.

I can't even find a reference to an Australian Wedding Cake anymore, but it was the new big trend back in 1989.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Premium Member

It's been so long that I can't remember what recipe my mom used for her wedding cakes, but they tasted like Twinkies. She made mine chocolate because I wanted to be different, but the white ones were sure good.

What a great concept to use "fake" wedding cakes. It makes complete sense, it's about time! I watch a lot of the "Food Network Challenges" and all of the contestants pre-bake the cake and the decorating is the labor intensive portion of the cake challenges. So, it makes total sense to use a fake cake and use a fresher cake to serve to the guests. I checked out the costs in renting the fake cakes and they were quite high. I think when the idea is more mainstream, the costs will come down. Now I feel like giving a fake one a shot just for one, only if I knew someone getting married, I would do it!

MRD

My daughter is getting married Dec. 18 here in Florida. Now that I'm back living in Florida again, instead of hiring a caterer, I'm thinking of doing a lot of the food. there will be 30 people total at the wedding.
    I am going to buy a few things from Costco and Sam's, but am looking for suggestions for food that I can make ahead and freeze starting in Nov. that we can just take to my brothers house and thaw out, warm up or cook.

The wedding is at 1 pm in the afternoon. The weather could be warm or cool.
    I would appreciate any suggestions and/or recipes.

I have a cousin who is making sangria and we are going to buy wine and beer. But also need a non-alcoholic punch.
    Obviously, I'm not going to be able to be in the kitchen that day, so am thinking of hiring someone to just heat up and make sure the buffett is kept going.

Anyone have ANY suggestions for ANYTHING pertaining to this?
    I am kind of excited now that I get to do more and I'm going to be using family heirloom table linens, china and silver platters that I wouldn't have been able to use before if I had had to drive from out of state like I had planned before.

Also how much food do you need for approx 30 people?
    And how much beer and wine?
    Thanks

I'll post a Chicken Parmigiana recipe in the recipe thread I have frozen and used many times. It is great, and a bit fancier than lasagna (which would also freeze well). It will be nice to get to use your family things

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;4045545;
    I'll post a Chicken Parmigiana recipe in the recipe thread I have frozen and used many times. It is great, and a bit fancier than lasagna (which would also freeze well). It will be nice to get to use your family things
    Thanks Canuck. I'll save it for serving at home.

I think I might have forgotten to mention that we are not doing a sitdown dinner. We are doing a buffett with apps. I'm going to buy some of those mini quiches at Sam's and some of the spiral sandwiches, but need other ideas for buffet food I can freeze and that doesn't take a lot of work to thaw out/heat up for the reception as we are not having "staff" although I'm thinking of hiring someone just to oversee the food as I don't want/can't do it.
    My daughter's only request was for stuffed mushrooms.

MRD: On the Food Network's website, there are recipes from "Party Line with the Hearty Boys." (The show is no longer on, but the recipes are still there.) They have really great, not-to-difficult hors d'oeuvres-type stuff. One recipe that hubby and I love and have made many times (for parties and just to have around just for ourselves when we want to do "small bites" instead of a normal dinner) is their Italian Sausage Rolls. (We usually use turkey sausage because we don't like the grease in the pork sausages.) Here's the link to the recipe: Italian Sausage Rolls Recipe : : Food Network
    And here's the link to the episode, "Buffet Hors d'Oeuvres": Buffet Hors d'Oeuvres : Party Line with the Hearty Boys : Food Network
    And here's the link to the show: Party Line with the Hearty Boys : The Hearty Boys : Food Network

P.S. We also like the Sesame Chicken Satay -- which makes a nice party hors d'oeuvre because it's skewered.
    Sesame Chicken Satay Recipe : : Food Network
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

Oh thanks Ellen. I was thinking about chicken satay because it is skewered.
    Those sausage balls sound good too.

Menu is growing. Besides the stuffed mushrooms my daughter wants, my future son in law wants the sausage balls made with cheddar cheese, bisquick and sauasage.
    And NO party of mine is complete without cheese straws.
    Was also thinking about doing a Southern favorite: ham biscuits. Usually these are mini size biscuits with a slice of good Southern ham. Biscuits can be made and frozen ahead.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast