+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: I'm not a bad cook... Really!

Re: Kitchen Disasters, Oh My

There was the time I was out of dishwasher detergent and decided to use dishwashing liquid - they both wash dishes, right?

Good thing I forgot something as I was leaving the apartment. I came back in and the kitchen floor was about a foot deep in suds Whoaaaaa, hoss! Didn't see that one coming
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Fort Member

Re: I'm not a bad cook... Really!

SugarMama your story reminded me of many, many years ago I was at a friends house for a dinner party, he had spent hours making this wonderful (well it smelt and sounded wonderful) pasta with clam sauce. When it was ready for some reason he decided to pour it into a glass bowl to serve. As he lifted the bowl up and started walking towards the table, it cracked and broke from the heat, pasta, clams, sauce went everywhere. He sat at the kitchen bench and did cry as we ordered pizza and all these years later he still does not find it very funny even though the rest of us do.

Good cautionary tale. I have quite a few glass bowls and would not have thought of that possibility. So glass for cold dishes, crockery for hot.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Fabric softener poured into the bottom of the dishwasher will cut the suds. Also, if you rent a carpet cleaner, don't buy the "defoamer". Use fabric softener. That's all it is.

I have Pyrex glass bowls. But even they occasionally break from the heat.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Once (in my younger years ) I was cooking my first big turkey dinner, and I was going to try my hand at gravy. Being health conscious, I was going to separate the fat from the drippings and poured it all into one of those measuring-thingees with the long spout from which you pour the settled, fat-reduced drippings. I was so proud of myself. Until I turned around to make that last-minute gravy and discovered that I'd used my large plastic fat-separater-thingee. It had melted and turkey grease was ALL over the countertop and floor! No gravy!
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567