+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: I'm not a bad cook... Really!

Re: I'm not a bad cook... Really!

Ugh....luvsginger, that spread sounds dreadful. And Doxie, the "salmon loaf" with the dressing sounds just as horrid.

myrosiedog, I must be fair, the lettuce would have been on the side of the plate. Stew and salad, except no salad dressing....just a lettuce salad. He'd spread it around the plate like he was presenting for Top Chef-LOL.

However, the ham and cheese and anything else would be right in there, and he thought that egg was something special.

Lil Bit, the beans remind me of my grandma, rest her soul. She wasn't throwing out anything. From time to time some nicely burned food would end up in her fridge. It explained a lot why my dad liked his food "slightly crispy" at times. Grandma was a good cook, but on those occassions she burned something she always claimed she did it for my dad-lol. I wonder why it occassionally happened even after he died then

SR5Rfan...I've actually heard of the bean sandwiches. Not that I'd want one, but I've heard of them.

MRD

Growing up, just about the only salad we had was lettuce with dressing. My grandmother made congealed salads (ugh) and we ate sliced tomatos and cucumbers a lot. But in our house (and in much of the South at that time) salad was usually a wedge of iceberg lettuce and some salad dressing. Usually French.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Anyone with British grandparents put up their hands? "Bubble and Squeak" has got to be the most gawd awful food I have ever eaten. My grandfather would take all the leftover veggies and fry them up in about an inch of oil

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;3244921;
    Anyone with British grandparents put up their hands? "Bubble and Squeak" has got to be the most gawd awful food I have ever eaten. My grandfather would take all the leftover veggies and fry them up in about an inch of oil
    My British grandmother, her British sister and their British friend from over the road are the reason I can't eat other people's cooking (restaurants excepted), including that of Mr. Rattus. The food I encountered every time we went to eat at someone else's house when I was young instilled a deep and obviously insurmountable neurosis regarding what horror I might encounter at an unfamiliar dinner table. I still tense up just thinking about the assorted lard infused or boiled to mush atrocities doled out by the Shakespearean-quality trio of Cockney belles.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3250081;
    The food I encountered every time we went to eat at someone else's house when I was young instilled a deep and obviously insurmountable neurosis regarding what horror I might encounter at an unfamiliar dinner table. I still tense up just thinking about the assorted lard infused or boiled to mush atrocities doled out by the Shakespearean-quality trio of Cockney belles.

OMG this has to be post of the day here at FORT. Rattus I even want to use this as a sig line!! PLEASE?
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3250102;
    OMG this has to be post of the day here at FORT. Rattus I even want to use this as a sig line!! PLEASE?
    If you really want to, go ahead .
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I had to take out a couple of words and couldn't give credit to the author.. I dunno Rattus.. I'll keep it for now. Of course if anyone asks about my sig line I'll point to your direction.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Tee hee. I am tickled pink .

Rattus, you always have the best sayings!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Kitchen Disasters, Oh My

I was just taking a pan of lasagna out of the oven, and I laughed remembering one of my many kitchen/cooking disasters over the years. I wondered if anyone else might be interested in sharing - to ease our own pain in knowing that crap happens to us all!

Last winter I'd spent an hour making my family-favorite lasagna. When I was removing it from the oven, dinner almost ready, I did something screwy and my arm touched the oven rack as I had halfway removed the heavy pan from the oven, SPLAT - the lasagna flew through the air and landed top down on the floor (with sauce everywhere nearby). I was so shocked I couldn't even cry.

Dinner ended up being quickie spaghetti, jar sauce, and a LOT of cleaning up. I just can't get out a pan of lasagna without remembering that!
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast