+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: I'm not a bad cook... Really!

Re: I'm not a bad cook... Really!

Wow, it's funny but scary at the same time!! My girlfriend once left her purse on the stove top (she has the electric glass stove top), went upstairs to change and smelled burning plastic type of a smell..... turns out the cat jumped up there to look at the purse, turned one of the burners on and she melted her purse and almost everything in it!
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

Queenb, that is scary, but also had no idea canned peaches could do that.

My husband once burned the bottom of his lunch cooler by setting it on the burner. He still used it afterwards and he always knew which cooler was his because it was branded with concentric circles.

Did you know a foam plate on a hot burner will just disappear? Leaves no residue, smoke or smell. Just gone!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

At least you didn't reach into the oven and grab something barehanded! I did that once and had a blister on two fingers for almost a month!
    Yup, with donuts!!

This happened this past Thanksgiving. We had dinner at a neighbors house (across the street) but we prepared some of the food at our home. My husband came back home to put the stuffing in the oven and noticed that the oven was smoking because a few of the yams that I had baked earlier had leaked on to the bottom of the oven. We had just cleaned it a couple of days earlier so my husband was annoyed that the oven was smoking already.
    So, the day after Thanksgiving he decides to clean the oven again. It's one of those self cleaning ovens that cleans by incinerating anything inside the oven walls. I come home after working a few hours and I notice all the windows are open and there is smoke pouring out of all the windows. I asked him what was up and he said "wow, those sweet potatoes you had in there must have really leaked all over!!!".
    All of a sudden it starts raining these big gigantic pieces of ash and it's in the family room, the living room and the hall. We had no idea where all this ash was coming from, I am so surprised the fire department didn't come!
    The next day when he went to clean the ashes out of the oven after it had cooled off, he discovered that he left one of the stuffing casseroles in the oven when he cleaned it!!! It was in a pyrex dish with a glass lid on. The pyrex dish was unharmed (except for a few stains) but the top cracked. The stuffing or what was left of it looked like a giant piece of charcoal. Every once in a while, I still see ash in the air!!!
    You got to hand it to pyrex, can you believe it came out unscathed?

My FIL, rest his soul, was an interesting cook to say the least. Early in our dating years my husband and I were at his apartment, when he offered us some stew. My husband quickly declined, but FIL was eager for me to taste whatever he was cooking. Hubby almost gave himself whiplash trying to tell me to decline, but how could I, and besides, it didn't smell so bad. Hubby quickly stated that he was taking me out to dinner and that we'd have to reschedule the stew. Well after sitting around talking for a while pop uncovers the pot, and everything you can think of is floating in there. Apparently what FIL's habit was....take all leftovers, anything that may possibly be going bad soon, anything from the fridge that needed to get out, and make it a stew. So if there were rice, lettuce, ham and cheese you guessed it, you'd have a rice, lettuce ham and cheese stew. This particular stew had a hard boiled egg and a celery stick. I kid you not. He didn't even chop the thing up. A big honking celery stick standing right there in the pot. It was hilarious.

Hubby informed me that he was once a halfway decent cook. As he got older he would simply say "if you ate what I ate during wartime this would be a treat"! That pot proved it....war is hell.
    Last edited by KeepItReal; 12-02-2008 at 07:31 PM.

KeepItReal - What a funny story! A friend of mine is married to a man who is the oldest of 6. He told us about his mother's famous Friday lunches. On Fridays, she would throw all the leftover lunch meats and cheeses into the blender and make a "spread". This special concoction was spread on to bread and made into sandwiches at the end of each week for their lunches except during lent which they couldn't wait for!

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3244399;
    KeepItReal - What a funny story! A friend of mine is married to a man who is the oldest of 6. He told us about his mother's famous Friday lunches. On Fridays, she would throw all the leftover lunch meats and cheeses into the blender and make a "spread". This special concoction was spread on to bread and made into sandwiches at the end of each week for their lunches except during lent which they couldn't wait for!

Ok. EWW! I thought that my mother's "Salmon Loaf" was bad (canned salmon and leftover veggies pressed into a loaf, baked and then topped with Creamy Cucumber salad dressing..... ). This "spread" sounds MUCH worse.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

A former co-worked once told me that they used to get "bean soup" sandwiches. You guessed it; Campbell's bean soup straight out of the can, spread on white bread. Nobody would trade school lunches with her and her sisters...
    I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like.

MRD

my mom used to do that leftover stew by cleaning out the fridge, but she did have limits, no lettuce, no hardboiled eggs.

She did teach me something that sounds weird, but works.
    She would make turkey soup with the leftover turkey after thanksgiving and she would also add the leftover mashed potatos and stuffing to the soup. It actually gives it good flavor and thickens the soup into more of a stew and it's REALLY not bad at all. The mashed potatos and the stuffing kind of "disappear" in the soup so there are not lumps of them floating around.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

My FIL is also one to not want to let any food go to waste. He's been known to make some pretty strange concoctions too. I remember one Christmas many years ago, my MIL burned the baked beans. They didn't look bad, but they had a horrible burned flavor. She was going to throw them out, but he wouldn't let her. He put those beans in smaller containers in the freezer and eventually ate every last bite. Couldn't let all that go to waste you know. Yuk!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast