+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: I'm not a bad cook... Really!

MRD

Re: I'm not a bad cook... Really!

I finally remembered 2 disasters and both were cakes. I made a pineapple angel food cake that overflowed the tube pan, BIG TIME. It looked like a volcano had erupted and my oven was a huge mess and the burnt batter in the oven didn't smell so wonderful either.

The other was a yellow cake with chocolate fudge icing. I had been craving homemade chocolate fudge icing and a friend gave me her recipe. She neglected to tell me that it was for a 13x9 sheet cake because the frosting sets up so fast, you dont have time to spread it on layers. I made a 3 layer yellow cake and by the time I got to the top to frost it, the icing could not be spread anymore. I ended up with a partially frosted cake top and gouges in the rest of it as I tried to spread the icing and it wouldn't spread. It was for my own birthday and I have pictures of me blowing out the candles on this disaster. It tasted great and the friend that gave me the recipe came over for cake and laughed her butt off when she saw what happened. I didnt' mind she had neglected to tell me that it firmed up fast. It tasted pretty darn good even if it didn't look real attractive.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

The overflowing reminds me of a family story I found out in the last few years. I was reading a story in the Vancouver Sun, and a long time columnist was talking about some nutty woman in North Vancouver (back in the 30's) that was a newlywed and was trying to make bread. She knew nothing about baking , and had so much dough she tried to bury it in her yard where it bubbled up through the ground. I was reading the story to my mom and laughing about it when she said, "Holy s*** that was your grandma" My mom doesn't usually swear

I was newly married and was going to cook our Thanksgiving turkey. I grew up using an electric stove. The stove I had then was gas. My mom cooks turkeys on low all night long. So that's what I did with mine. It smelled delicious but it was a dry, crispy mess. We fed what was edible (wasn't much) to the dog and threw away the rest.
    You know how alcohol makes people let down their prohibitions Ms Rap Supreme on VH1

This didn't happen to me, but my college roomate was 8 months pregnant and her husband requested Turkey and Dressing for his birthday dinner. She'd never cooked a turkey before and it was August in Alabama and they lived in a TINY apartment. So, she bought a huge turkey (thinking they would have leftovers) and, somehow, it did not "thaw as directed". She called her grandmother who suggested running warm water over it in the sink. The bird wouldn't FIT into the sink, so she wrestled the thing into the bathtub! Then, because she was hugely pregnant and the turkey was wet, she could not get it out. She ended up calling the maintenance man in the apartment complex to come help her remove the turkey from the tub. She then cooked it and (after all of that trouble) it did turn out pretty well, but she still tells that story of wrestling the tub turkey. This (and the "giblet/cavity/horror stories") would be why I choose to cook a large turkey breast at Christmas each year.
    We brine it for 24 hours and then it cooks fairly quickly and is always really good.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;3192920;
    The overflowing reminds me of a family story I found out in the last few years. I was reading a story in the Vancouver Sun, and a long time columnist was talking about some nutty woman in North Vancouver (back in the 30's) that was a newlywed and was trying to make bread. She knew nothing about baking , and had so much dough she tried to bury it in her yard where it bubbled up through the ground. I was reading the story to my mom and laughing about it when she said, "Holy s*** that was your grandma" My mom doesn't usually swear
    That is hilarious canuck. It sounds like something that would happen on I Love Lucy.

My one cooking horror that my family will never let me forget happened when I was around 11 or 12. I really loved cooking, but I truly ad no idea what I was doing at the time. It was my turn to make dinner, and even though I had never done it by myself before, I got it in my head to make spaghetti. Because I loved it, you see. Everything turned out fine with the meat and the pasta, but I wanted to make my sauce special. I didn't know anything about anything but I figured that whatever smelled the best would surely taste the best. And that is how I dumped half a bottle of nutmeg into my first spaghetti dinner and became a living joke unto my family. I can never cook spaghetti now without being reminded of that time.

Premium Member

How many of you have cooked a turkey or other bird and forgotten to remove the giblet packet?

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;3197925;
    How many of you have cooked a turkey or other bird and forgotten to remove the giblet packet?
    Probably more people than haven't.
    I've done it before on several occasions. I remember once looking all for the giblet pack in a chicken and couldn't find it. AFTER I cooked it, we found it. It had been sort of stuck under the skin on the bottom of the bird.

And what's up these days with getting the giblet pack and it doesn't have the heart in it? I happen to like chicken and turkey hearts, but you never get the heart anymore. Just the neck, liver and gizzard.

In the "I told you so" category:

I wanted to show off my mom's spaghetti sauce recipe, and the kitchen was smelling very good. Two hungry people were looking forward to a great dinner. But then, my BF decided that the sauce needed cumin seed. Knowing a thing or 2 about cumin seed, I told him "OK, just a teeny tiny pinch of it, though", and before I could stop him, he proceeded to dump about 3 tablespoons of it into the sauce. Needless to say, it was inedible, and there were no more original sauce ingredients on hand to start over.

What's that old saying? "Too many cooks spoil the kitchen"...

myrosiedog, I don't think I have ever eaten a chicken heart. It took me years to do anything but discard the giblet pack, and then finally I used them in the gravy.

But always, always, I have discarded the neck.

MRD

Well I don't usually eat any organ meat. But apparantly as a child, my mom would always give me the chicken heart as a treat and to this day, it is a treat. Now my own daughter also likes it, so we often fight over who gets it, but now with them not including it anymore we don't have that problem.

My mother also used to buy round steak that had the round circle of bone in it. And I always got everyone's bones as I apparantly liked the marrow. Marrow is considered a delicacy in some countries.
    But those are probably the only 2 things I eat like that.

I do like chicken liver pate and I like brunswieger which is made of either beef or pork liver, I can't remember. But I don't eat liver plain.

I don't even use the giblet pack for gravy. I boil those parts and then use the broth in other things and give the gizzard and liver to the dogs.

Well in my attempt to cook decent eggs this morning, I tried to make poached eggs. I used the vinegar trick and still ended up with poached yolks and no white as it swirled away. I cracked the eggs first into a bowl and gently slid that into the gently boiling water and the white still swirled away. Oh well, I know eggs are not my forte, but I will keep trying.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast