I was baking potatoes once and must have gotten distracted and forgotten to pierce them with a fork. They exploded in the oven and coated the inside of it with itty, bitty, bits of potato. Fortunately no company was involved.
My MIL must have been away one time without my FIL, because we had just him over to dinner for beef strogonoff. The strogonoff was fine but I didn't double the water for the rice (something I knew perfectly well how to do!!!!) and it was crunchy!!!!
Early on in our marriage we had mr. veejer's grandparents over for dessert. I don't remember what else we had, but I wanted the cookies to be really fresh, so I had a pan all ready to pop in the oven when the doorbell rang. When they were done, I tripped while holding the pan and they all went on the kitchen floor. I was in tears, but mr. veejer simply picked up the unbroken ones and served them anyway to his grandparents in the other room!!!
Another time, I was doing turkey for Thankgiving and turned on the oven light to see if it was brown enough to be covered. Instead of turning off the light, I turned off the oven (the switches are right next to each other) and didn't notice it for about 45 minutes. Dinner was a little late and nobody got food poisoning.