+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Cookbooks and Food magazines

MRD

Cookbooks and Food magazines

WEll now that we have a whole new forum, I thought I'd add a cookbook and food magazine one.

So what is your favorite go to cookbook that you use the most? And why?

What magazines do you routinely go to for recipes? And why?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Re: Cookbooks and Food magazines

Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook. I love the desserts in this one!
    Yup, with donuts!!

My absolute FAVORITE cooking magazine is Fine Cooking. The recipes are easy to follow and always come out just like they are written. Unlike Gourmet magazine, the ingredients are never far fetched or so rare that you have to purchase them in a gourmet food shop. It comes out every two months and not very expensive to subscribe to. It's about $40/year and they also sell them at Costco. Each holiday season, they have a pull out section that I look forward to each year.

That is one of the reasons that I don't like most cookbooks. The ingredients are very expensive for one meal and I will probably never use them again.
    Yup, with donuts!!

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar

Cookbook - Betty Crocker New Cookbook - has lots of the basic recipes (meatloaf, mac & cheese, etc) and great tables for cooking meats, pork, etc. so you cook them to the right temperature. Great gift for a newlywed! I also like my Williams Sonoma cookies cookbook for holiday cookies.

As for magazines - I like Cook's Illustrated. It's not really recipe intensive, but you learn a lot and they rate a lot of things - pots, knives, garlic - all sorts of things. Just don't get on their email list - they're heavy on the send button I do like the recipes too - My pork chops have been so much better since reading CI.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3189115;
    That is one of the reasons that I don't like most cookbooks. The ingredients are very expensive for one meal and I will probably never use them again.
    The BESTEST EVER cookbooks are The Best of the Best From (state) cookbooks. Every recipe that I have ever made has turned out GREAT! Here is the link:

Quail Ridge Press - The BEST Cookbooks & FREE Recipes Online

And every month the website has free recipes that are from the books. Here are this months:

Free Recipes Online | Quail Ridge Press

I have California, Great Plains, Louisiana, Minnesota, Oregon, and Hawaii. All the recipes are just plain ole everyday good food.

Best of the Best State Cookbook Series | Quail Ridge Press

I have about 40 cookbooks, but my favorite is The Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook. Everything from basics to Southern classics, lots of good tips and a substitution chart that has saved my butt several times. The pages are splattered and the binding is wearing out, but it's still the one I grab the most.

I can't say that I get a lot of recipes from magazines, but I do browse allrecipes.com pretty often. I've found some good stuff there.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

My favorite has always been the Fannie Farmer Cookbook. Amazon.com: The Fannie Farmer Cookbook: Anniversary: Marion Cunningham, Fannie Farmer Cookbook Corporation, Archibald Candy Corporation, Lauren Jarrett: Books It's a CLASSIC. My mother had a copy that's still in the family as did HER mother... I bought my copy and use it all the time! It's got good basic easy to follow recipes on just about everything! I highly recommend it.
    Ingorance killed the Cat... Curiousity was framed!

The only food magazine I subscribe to and keep up on is Cuisine At Home. I think it comes every two months, so it doesn't pile up TOO much. It is full of nice tips and each issue usually has some sort of common thread that ties it all together.

Cooking Magazine — Cuisine at home
    Wag more, bark less

what are you watching? iguanachocolate's Avatar

MBP, I love Cook's Magazine! when I follow their instructions, everything comes out perfectly. And I like how they break the recipes down to easy steps so they are not as scary.

my favorite cookbook's are the ones Cook's Magazine puts out and the Moosewood Cookbook's. They are great for vegetarian recipes and healthy eating.
    A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it. ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast