+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Cookbooks and Food magazines

Re: Cookbooks and Food magazines

I am a cookbook addict but I seem to only use the same 4 or 5 consistently. A very old copy of Farm Journal's country cookbook
    Plenty, Charmaine Solomon's Complete Asian and a book of recipes I have compiled using trial and error. I also have my great granny's hand written recipe box from the 40s that I dip into fairly often.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

FORT Newbie

I love it....

I hope this is an appropriate thread to post this rather than starting a new one. I have been inhaling whatever I can find on nutrition through our extensive regional library system, most recently on micronutrients. There were a couple of standouts I’d like to recommend. I think either would make a terrific holiday present, and the second one is available used online for the cost of just shipping. I only have so many calories to work with, and my goal is to satisfy my nutritional needs to the maximum extent I can from diet. I have learned and applied a great deal from both these sources.

Jo Robinson’s Eating on the Wild Side (not yet available in paperback)

Steven Pratt’s SuperFoods Rx

Pratt’s book focuses on 14 superfoods but rather than just another annoying superfood list, he discusses each of them as general categories along with related foods, extensive detail about the specific micronutrients, how much a specific food might supply and how you might incorporate that food into your diet, and what he recommends as a goal. In other words, a comprehensive reference work, one I purchased for myself because I couldn’t remotely take enough notes. On top of that, he’s an ophthamologist at Scripps in San Diego so of personal interest to me because of the many genetic eye ailments in my family I’d just as soon avoid if I can.

Robinson’s book is a terrific aid on selecting foods in the supermarket or farmer’s market or what varieties are most nutritious to grow yourself. It was discouraging to read how much nutrition can evaporate before I even bring produce home. I purchased this book for my most food/cooking knowledgeable friend because I’m sure there is a great deal in the book even my friend isn’t aware of.
    inthegarden likes this.

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

I was coming here to list Jo Robinson's book.
    I love Eating on the Wild Side. It is so informative. I'm giving it as Christmas gift's. I'd give it 5 stars. You can listen to her NPR podcast and see her article All about Apples on her website eatwild.com. I enjoy her website.
    She has written another book that is good...Pasture Perfect: How You Can Benefit from Choosing Meat, Eggs, and Dairy Products from Grass-Fed Animals.

I have been continuing to inhale whatever nutrition books I can obtain through our extensive interlibrary loan system. I want to make special note of one I just finished - Death By Food Pyramid, by Denise Minger. The book does an exceptionally good and very readable job of dissecting the studies and politics behind current dietary policy related to the diseases of affluences, especially heart disease. She's actually a hoot. I couldn't put it down.

Her takeaway, roughly, is that the modern diets of high carb, low carb, paleo, Mediterranean, etc. all have the potential (based on your genetic tendencies) for being very healthy diets provided the diet follows the commonalities of the successful aboriginal diets - avoid sugar, refined grains and high-omega-6 (polyunsaturated) vegetable oils and be sure to include a very good source of ALL the fat soluble vitamins - A, D, E and K.

What she has to say about Vitamin K2 in the book and on her blog site - Raw Food SOS | Rescuing good health from bad science. - was the most revealing to me as someone staring down the likelihood of developing osteoporosis. I'm in the home stretch of my annual physical and I think I have finally reached a comfort level as to what amounts of what supplements I should take for what I'm currently eating.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789