+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Cookbooks and Food magazines

Re: Cookbooks and Food magazines

I just got a free subscription to Real Simple magazine and I love it! The newest issue (August 2010) has a bunch of really good recipes that use only 3 ingredients (not including salt and pepper) and they all look yummy. I'm for anything that's simple.

I also subscribe to their e-newsletter and they had this feature that I thought some FoRTers might be interested in, what with all our talk of it being too hot to turn the oven on: 22 Quick, No-Cook Recipes | Real Simple

Of course, it's full of sandwiches and salads, but some of them are combinations I wouldn't have come up with on my own. The Southwestern salad with corn and avocado and the Mediterranean chopped salad look especially good! I also may try the smashed white bean and avocado sandwich. I bought probably a few too many avocados at the store and I don't want them to go to waste.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Thanks.
    Those look really good.

One of my favorite salads at this time of year is a Grilled Chicken Salad.
    I do the chicken on the George Foreman grill.
    I slice it thin into lettuce leaves - my favorite combo with this salad is the TJ butter lettuce with radicchio. Then I add sliced strawberries, sliced tangerine or manadarin orange, avocado, grape tomatoes and shredded carrots. I toss with Poppyseed dressing. The combination of the strawberries and tangerines with the chicken and poppyseed is just scrumptious.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4010273;
    Thanks.
    Those look really good.

One of my favorite salads at this time of year is a Grilled Chicken Salad.
    I do the chicken on the George Foreman grill.
    I slice it thin into lettuce leaves - my favorite combo with this salad is the TJ butter lettuce with radicchio. Then I add sliced strawberries, sliced tangerine or manadarin orange, avocado, grape tomatoes and shredded carrots. I toss with Poppyseed dressing. The combination of the strawberries and tangerines with the chicken and poppyseed is just scrumptious.
    This salad sounds good. Thanks!

I enjoy Real Simple too, so many good recipes, ideas and I love the non-slick paper that its printed on.
    I got a free subscription to Cook's Country and have been very pleased with this magazine.

I received a complimentary issue of Cuisine at home. There are some good recipes in this issue. Does anyone else get this magazine? I wanted to know if the issues are always this good or is it just because they want to sell a magazine subscription. I cooked the Boursin Creamed Spinach, the recipe was easy to follow and tasty.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini;3738755;
    I love the recipes that say "add salt and pepper to taste" and then put sodium on the list. Um...if people "salt to taste", there's no way that sodium figure will be correct!
    The sodium is an inherent part of many ingredients, naturally. Especially in meat and fish. It can be pretty hefty, especially if you prepare a dish with bacon, sausage, vinegar, or anything cured. So, salt to "taste" means just that... if you want it to have a more saline taste. I don't, as a rule, use even a pinch of salt while preparing a dish. The "to taste" addition should be an individual choice by the person eating the meal.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

One of my favorite cookbooks is "The Complete Italian Vegetarian Cookbook" by Jack Bishop.

He spent a lot of time in Italy, taking cooking classes and learning locally. Interestingly, he points out that most Italian dishes are vegetarian, utilizing the fresh vegetables on hand, and that meat dishes are the exception and not the rule.

Now, having never been to Italy myself, I can't vouch for this bit it sounds reasonable. What I've tried, I've enjoyed, so if you love Italian food and vegetarian, you might want to give it a try. 350 recipes.

Published in 1997, I got mine from Amazon, very reasonably priced.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Anybody own (or have used) any of the Good Eats cookbooks by Alton Brown? I've been eyeing the one that's out right now, and I think Santa may have it on my list.

Just wondering how y'all liked them. I do love his show, so I'm guessing his books are just as good.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

waywyrd-I don't know about his cookbooks, but I'm sure they are good. One of the things I like about Alton is that he goes into depth about the science of cooking. Which leads me to my latest discovery..

America's Test Kitchen. They have a show on public tv, cookbooks, magazines etc. But what they do is take the old recipes and break them down. Analyze what works, what doesn't..how to make them tastier. The results are really good. I've made 5 of their recipes and they all turned out. Additionally I really believe this is making me a better cook. I have slowed down and am working more on technique, those are long term habits I've had as a cook that have hurt my cooking. (This is my opinion, not to brag but everyone thinks I'm a great cook lol) I just think there is always room for improvement and change. So I recommend checking out the tv show at least.

America’s Test Kitchen :: Welcome
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Waywyrd,
    I have all three and they are FANTASTIC. It like having his show plus the food network site at your fingertips. They are nice and solid and a good size, which I always like in a cookbook. Plus there is plenty of "Alton", if you know what I mean. Definitely something great for under the tree!
    waywyrd likes this.
    Wag more, bark less

If you're looking for a new cookbook (and you like to bake), get Joanne Chang's "Flour". (She owns three Flour bakeries in the Boston area, and she and her husband own "Myers & Chang". It has 100 recipes and loads of instructions.

Her second book, Flour Power, is due out in early 2013, and includes mostly savory recipes.

+ Reply to Thread