+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Cookbooks and Food magazines

MRD

Re: Cookbooks and Food magazines

Critical, that cookbook sounds great. I am really relying on my crockpot more than ever right now, so I may have to look into that for my cookbook collection as well.

Going to check out the sale. Thanks

I get Everyday Food which I loved at first, but the last few issues have been disappointing and the one I just got for Thanksgiving, I was NOT impressed with AT ALL.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3733877;
    Critical, that cookbook sounds great. I am really relying on my crockpot more than ever right now, so I may have to look into that for my cookbook collection as well.

Going to check out the sale. Thanks

I get Everyday Food which I loved at first, but the last few issues have been disappointing and the one I just got for Thanksgiving, I was NOT impressed with AT ALL.
    I wasn't impressed with my issue of Everyday Food either... I don't enjoy it like I did when it first came out either.

I do enjoy reading Cook's Illustrated.

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden;3734013;
    I wasn't impressed with my issue of Everyday Food either... I don't enjoy it like I did when it first came out either.

I get both of these magazines and I love Cook's Illustrated. I occasionally find stuff in Everyday Food, but most of my regular recipes I use are from the really early editions. I do enjoy that the recipes are easy and not complicated, but I've found that most of them lack flavor and need a lot of additional seasoning.

MRD

Yardgnome, I am the same way. I have to doctor up the recipes. And the Thanksgiving recipes were awful sounding.
    I use my earlier issues too. I may not be renewing this one this year.,
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Good grief, I need to stay away from bookcloseouts! I just bought 12 books (some of them actually are cookbooks!) for just over $70 including shipping. Too many good ones to pass up. I saved about $155 off the cover prices. Not all of them are for me - I did do some Christmas shopping as well.

In addition to the usual great deals, I found a few good coupon codes:
    for $5 off a $35 order, use brickcity-5 and for $10 off a $65 order use brickcity-10. The password for both is bookcloseouts.com I used the $10 coupon, which paid for my shipping.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3733846;
    Of course, the one I want isn't on sale there. I saw this one at the Chronicle store in Metreon when I was in SF a few weeks ago. Amazon.com: Slow Cooker: The Best Cookbook Ever with More Than 400 Easy-to-Make Recipes (9780811866576): Diane Phillips: Books
    It looks like your average slow cooker cookbook, but the recipes are far from the ordinary. For instance, I did the "Surprise Me!" on Amazon's "Look Inside" feature and it came up with a recipe for flank steak with spinach, bacon and mushroom stuffing. Totally have this one on my Christmas wish list!
    Oooh, my 'surprise me' just got me what appears to be an index page. It was the pork page and YUM. Definitely getting forwarded to the 'oh no, Christmas is coming, what do I do' hubby. Thanks for the heads up Critical!
    Wag more, bark less

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden;3734013;

I'll echo your sentiments about Everyday Food. I did get a couple of good recipes out of it, but for me the problem is sodium, and this magazine does not publish sodium grams. For those of us who have to watch their sodium intake, it is very important. They put in the carbs, which is great for diabetics, though.

My favorite cookbook is an ancient text which my sister used in her home economics studies at Michigan State Univ. in the 60s.

My favorite website for recipes is allrecipes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Columbia, MD;3738106;
    I'll echo your sentiments about Everyday Food. I did get a couple of good recipes out of it, but for me the problem is sodium, and this magazine does not publish sodium grams. For those of us who have to watch their sodium intake, it is very important. They put in the carbs, which is great for diabetics, though.

My favorite cookbook is an ancient text which my sister used in her home economics studies at Michigan State Univ. in the 60s.

My favorite website for recipes is allrecipes.com
    I like the recipes that show the nutrition facts too. That way I can make informed food decisions. I like America's test kitchen and Alton Brown. Food science interest me.
    My old stand by is my Mom's old copy of the Better Homes and Garden Cook book. I get caught up in what I think is new and improved and look through her cook book and see the same info.

Quote Originally Posted by Columbia, MD;3738106;
    What is the title?

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned "Joy of Cooking" yet; I love it. Explaining the "why's" and not just the "whats" and "hows" is true teaching. My favorite TV chefs share the "why's" (on the shows, rather than just in the pimped cookbook that usually costs at least $35 plus shipping).
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

My favorite cookbooks are ethnic ones:

Puerto Rican Cookery (the almond (wedding) cookies in there are AHHHmazing!) I consider this the go-to book for authentic traditional native cookery (cocina criolla). The recipes are easy to follow and most of the ingredients can be obtained from local grocery stores or even wall-mart.

A Taste of Cuba: Recipes From the Cuban-American Community - There is a traditional Cuban soup in there called Ropa Vieja that is just so dang good! There are also neo-traditional recipes like conch fritters. Another book where the recipes are easy to follow and the ingredients readily available.

My husband prefers what I call high brow cookbooks, those with fancy ingredients and that contain 250 items and take days to make (not really but might as well! LOL). To add to his collection he wants Kneadlessly Simple: Fabulous, Fuss-Free, No-Knead Breads (an artisan bread book). Two Alton Brown books (Feasting on Asphalt: The River Run and Good Eats: The Early Years) and the Guy book (DDD).

I haven't been very impressed with most of the books put out by the Food Network Celebrity Chef. They are too....uh...."full of themselves" is the best way to put it. I like simple recipes with easy to find ingredients that are full of flavor, I'm not trying to impress anybody other than my taste buds when I'm cooking which is why many of their cook books turn me off.

+ Reply to Thread