+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Cookbooks and Food magazines

Re: Cookbooks and Food magazines

I just subscribed. A warning for non-US residents. The cost is actually $30 for 10 issues. Of course it was written in fine print and I missed it. Oh well, $3 an issue is still not bad.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose;3213405;
    I just subscribed. A warning for non-US residents. The cost is actually $30 for 10 issues. Of course it was written in fine print and I missed it. Oh well, $3 an issue is still not bad.
    We'll be waiting for a review after you get your first issue.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;3191700;
    I loooooove Cuisine At Home. Actually, we call it "the magic book" because it doesn't matter what you make from the magazine (or their compilation books), even if it sounds disgusting "on paper," it is always delish. Plus I love they don't really have ads. Sure, their product review pages are a bit of product placement, but I'll excuse that because of all the deliciousness that has come forth from its pages. Without them, I'd be still in the dark about the wonderfulness that is compound butter.
    I had never heard of this magazine before, but I saw it at a bookstore on Saturday and got it. It seems like a nice mix of recipes, techniques and reviews (of products/ingredients). I also liked that it was 3-hole-punched, so that you could keep issues easily in a 3-ring binder. I've added a subscription to my Christmas wish list.

Premium Member

I got a little cash for Christmas, so I picked up some new cookbooks today.

Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics - Ina Garten

Bake Until Bubbly - The Ultimate Casserole Cookbook - Clifford A. Wright

100 Magnificent Muffins & Scones - Felicity Barnum-Bobb I got this one from the bargain table for 8 bucks.

MRD

I'd love to get a look at that casserole cookbook. I am the casserole queen. LOVE them. My family does not share this enthusiasm, but they also don't like to cook, so they are stuck with them.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3258559;
    I'd love to get a look at that casserole cookbook. I am the casserole queen. LOVE them. My family does not share this enthusiasm, but they also don't like to cook, so they are stuck with them.

How can you not like casseroles? They are my favorite kind of comfort food beside pasta.

MRD

My family doesn't like their food to touch. Weird, but there you have it

Myrosiedog, depending on the meal, my son eats one of two ways -- either he'll eat all of one item before starting on the next (all the meat, and then the potato, etc) or he mixes everything together and eats it that way. Don't know why or when he started doing that, but it seems odd to me. And trust me, some of it looks quite unappetizing when mixed together (a hot roast beef sandwich and mashed potatoes, for instance).
    I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like.

MRD

I eat all of one thing before moving on to the next-my mom says I picked that up from my dad. And occasionally I do mix food together. I do like mashed potatos and peas mixed. Hubby cuts up his meatloaf and mixes that with mashed potatos, but otherwise, he doesn't like food "with a lot of stuff in it". He's a meat and potatos guy for sure.

My daughter has ALWAYS been a fanatic about her food touching. As a child, I had to search for those divided plates for her, so each food could have it's own section and not touch.

Hubby is less picky, but he's not crazy about casseroles. He'll eat them, but that's because the choice is to eat or starve.

My friend just renewed my subscription to Everyday Food for Christmas. . I really like that little magazine.

FYI for any of you cookbook addicts, bookcloseouts.com is having a sale on cookbooks - 35% off their discounted price.

BookCloseouts.com - The Bestseller in Bargain Books

They've got a lot of cookbooks for under $10...even under $5. As always, they may have a remainder mark on them somewhere, but I never care about that. Looks like they've got over 1700 cookbooks, although I'm not sure all of them are marked down the additional 35%.

Of course, the one I want isn't on sale there. I saw this one at the Chronicle store in Metreon when I was in SF a few weeks ago. Amazon.com: Slow Cooker: The Best Cookbook Ever with More Than 400 Easy-to-Make Recipes (9780811866576): Diane Phillips: Books
    It looks like your average slow cooker cookbook, but the recipes are far from the ordinary. For instance, I did the "Surprise Me!" on Amazon's "Look Inside" feature and it came up with a recipe for flank steak with spinach, bacon and mushroom stuffing. Totally have this one on my Christmas wish list!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread