+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Cookbooks and Food magazines

Re: Cookbooks and Food magazines

My favorite cookbook is a William's Sonoma Potato cookbook. Potatoes and I have this thing. There are only 20 or so recipes but I love to look at the pictures. Other than that, I go to a Southern Living Annual Recipe Book (2004), Betty Crocker's New Recipes, and Pillsbury's Baking Book.

I have a Better Home's and Gardens magazine subscription and have had it for years, but again I think it's a pictures thing! I've clipped all the recipes that look good and maybe one of these days I'll try one of them.

Most of my recipes I get from allrecipes.com. Their rating system rocks. I know if something is 5 star and has been reviewed almost a thousand times that it won't completely suck.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd;3189155;
    I have about 40 cookbooks, but my favorite is The Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook. Everything from basics to Southern classics, lots of good tips and a substitution chart that has saved my butt several times. The pages are splattered and the binding is wearing out, but it's still the one I grab the most.

I can't say that I get a lot of recipes from magazines, but I do browse allrecipes.com pretty often. I've found some good stuff there.
    I have that one too and use it a lot.

I also use the Good Housekeeping Illustrated cookbook. It has a lot of basic types of recpes and is a good go to for a fairly good simple meal. If I want to branch out to something more complicated, then I use some of my other cookbooks. I have about 50 cookbooks.

My bad habit is buying those cookbooklets at the checkout counter in the grocery store. I've gotten some good recipes out of them, but they are something I've finally given up. I don't even browse them while waiting to checkout.

I used to love Taste of Home magazine, but now my favorite is Everyday Food. It is simple recipes using simple ingredients for the most part.
    I hate having to buy something I may use one time. Especially expensive spices.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

My favorite cookbook is a William's Sonoma Potato cookbook.
    I like the Willams Sonoma Stews cookbook... I have the Chicken one too, but have never cooked anything out of it.
    Ingorance killed the Cat... Curiousity was framed!

I'll join the club of also loving Cooks Illustrated magazine. I love all the helpful information and their recipes usually turn out great. I got the big cookbook two years ago and it's also great. It has lots of the tips and tells the best brands of certain ingredients to use. I've never made anything out of it that I don't like.

I also love Everyday Food Magazine. I've been getting it since it started and it's the only food magazine that I continually try recipes from. The recipes are easy, don't require fancy ingredients, and often focus on the fresh produce that is currently in season. It's very simplified compared to a lot of Martha Stewart recipes.

My favorite cookbooks, besides the Cooks Illustrated (that's a basic cookbook), are the Barefoot Contessa cookbooks. I have a couple of them now and all the recipes I have made are also really good. Her recipes are generally pretty easy as well and most of them can be made ahead of time.

My favorite cookbook is Savor the Flavor of Oregon which was put out by the Eugene, Oregon Junior League in 1990. I've never made anything bad out of it.

My mother renews my Cooking Light subscription every year at Christmas. I've found lots of great stuff in there as well.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Premium Member

My favorites are Taste of Home and their Light and Tasty magazines. Also love Cooks Illustrated, and I just got a sample issue of Cuisine at Home which I haven't looked at yet, but it's another "no ad" magazine. I also love those little Pillsbury cookbooks that you get at the checkout.

The Fannie Farmer Baking Book is the most worn out book I have, it's like my baking "bible".

One of my favorite things when we head west is to stop in Kearney, NE at Morris Press. They print all the fundraiser type cookbooks. They've got a little store that's open to the public where they sell all the overruns, and there are always tons of new books from all over the country. The sell for mostly $2-$4, plus if you buy a certain amount you get to pick through a box of free cookbooks. One time I spent $40 and walked out of there with 3 bags full of cookbooks. My favorites from there are the ones people had made up for their family reunions. They are filled with family favorites so you know they will be good, plus it's fun reading about the family's history.

Morris Press Cookbooks

MRD

I always find that any of those fundraiser cookbooks are great because the recipes are always contributed by the members of whatever club, organization or church printing it and therefore everyone always puts in their best recipe because it has their name printed with it.

Church fundrasier cookbooks are my favorite. They always have such great recipes.
    But my favorte of those is the Gasparilla Cookbook which was put out by the Junior League of Tampa, Florida. It has some great Cuban recipes in it and the gazpacho is great.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3190746;
    I always find that any of those fundraiser cookbooks are great because the recipes are always contributed by the members of whatever club, organization or church printing it and therefore everyone always puts in their best recipe because it has their name printed with it.

Church fundrasier cookbooks are my favorite. They always have such great recipes.
    But my favorte of those is the Gasparilla Cookbook which was put out by the Junior League of Tampa, Florida. It has some great Cuban recipes in it and the gazpacho is great.
    The majority of the recipes that are in the Best of the Best state cookbooks are from area church fundraiser cookbooks. So you KNOW they are the BEST!
    And the Best of the Best from Oregon has recipes from Savor the Flavor of Oregon.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie5632;3189284;
    The only food magazine I subscribe to and keep up on is Cuisine At Home. I think it comes every two months, so it doesn't pile up TOO much. It is full of nice tips and each issue usually has some sort of common thread that ties it all together.

Cooking Magazine — Cuisine at home
    I loooooove Cuisine At Home. Actually, we call it "the magic book" because it doesn't matter what you make from the magazine (or their compilation books), even if it sounds disgusting "on paper," it is always delish. Plus I love they don't really have ads. Sure, their product review pages are a bit of product placement, but I'll excuse that because of all the deliciousness that has come forth from its pages. Without them, I'd be still in the dark about the wonderfulness that is compound butter.

Quote Originally Posted by Yardgnome;3190024;
    My favorite cookbooks, besides the Cooks Illustrated (that's a basic cookbook), are the Barefoot Contessa cookbooks. I have a couple of them now and all the recipes I have made are also really good. Her recipes are generally pretty easy as well and most of them can be made ahead of time.
    I'll second the Barefoot Contessa rec. Haven't made anything from there that I haven't loved. She does use a lot of butter, cream, etc, so the recipes aren't the most diet-friendly, but boy are they good.

Shortly after I moved to my apartment, my mom got me a cookbook called A Flash in the Pan, which are one (large) pan recipes. I've had a few good things from there, and cleanup is always easy.

+ Reply to Thread