+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 37 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Kitchen Gadgets and Gizmos

Kitchen Gadgets and Gizmos

I just know many of you have gadgets and gizmos in your kitchen. What are your best finds?

My MIL gave me a Magic Bullet for Christmas last year and, while I like it for some things (smoothies, grinding coffee and/or spices, frothing milk), I find it doesn't chop food as advertised. A couple of months ago, my baby started eating chunkier foods and I was frustrated because I couldn't get the consistency I liked. So I went to Walmart and purchased a $10 Black and Decker mini food processor. I love that thing. I've used it with success to make chunky salsas and guacamoles too!

Re: Kitchen Gadgets and Gizmos

A meat grinder. It is my best friend! We like to make chicken burgers and finding ground chicken isn't easy and it's really expensive too! We just grind up boneless skinless breasts and make our burgers. It's not my job to clean it so I guess that's why it's my best friend!
    Yup, with donuts!!

I'm thinking of getting a rice cooker with my Coke points. I remember seeing some discussion of them on another thread. (the recipe thread maybe) Anyway, how do they work? Are they pretty fool proof? I'm a pretty good cook, but rice has always been my downfall. Mine always turns out mushy.

I had a rice cooker years ago and it was very simple. I put the water and rice in it, closed the lid, turned it on and came back when it was done. Rice was perfect. I love sticky white rice and the cooker did it perfectly!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3188827;
    I'm thinking of getting a rice cooker with my Coke points. I remember seeing some discussion of them on another thread. (the recipe thread maybe) Anyway, how do they work? Are they pretty fool proof? I'm a pretty good cook, but rice has always been my downfall. Mine always turns out mushy.
    They are completely foolproof as long as you add the right amount of water. The only trick is adjusting for different kinds of rice and they pretty much all come with a guide that tells you how much to add. I love mine, and it's a completely cheap model. I never worry about how my rice will turn out.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

I got a rice cooker and never even opened the box! Just never had any problem with stove top method and couldn't see a use for another appliance. I think I ended up freecycling it.

The appliance I couldn't live without would be my coffee maker. I remember my mother using a perculator (sp) on the stove for her coffee and it seemed to take forever..I wouldn't even know any other way to make coffee.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

MRD

I can't make rice either, so my rice cooker is a savior.

I love my magic bullet. I too got it for Christmas a few years ago and it's been great.
    But then I also have a full size food processor that I use a LOT. It's probably the one gadget that gets the most use in my kitchen. But the MB is great for smaller things, like grinding coffee beans, chopping nuts, making smoothies, etc.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3188845;
    I got a rice cooker and never even opened the box! Just never had any problem with stove top method and couldn't see a use for another appliance. I think I ended up freecycling it.

The appliance I couldn't live without would be my coffee maker. I remember my mother using a perculator (sp) on the stove for her coffee and it seemed to take forever..I wouldn't even know any other way to make coffee.
    I love coffee makers too. I have three of them. One I use daily, a back-up of the same one in a box in case it breaks and an old Mr Coffee for flavored coffee should a guest want some of that.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Premium Member

I'm getting a Magic Bullet for my birthday, I'm very excited. I think I would like the mini-food processor too though. I rarely use my big food processer because it's a pain in the butt to drag out and I don't have the counter space to leave it out.

I used to be a Pampered Chef consultant about 10 years ago, so I had every gadget in the book - but I've found over the years that I'm really not that much of a gadget person and the one tool I use more than anything else is my big Santoku knife.

Marley, I never use my big food processor. I don't cook large enough quantities to need it. But the mini one is great and so inexpensive.
    I just bought a (I think) good quality Santoku knife at the Oneida warehouse. I love it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 37 1234567891011 ... LastLast