+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 45 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Kitchen Gadgets and Gizmos

Re: Kitchen Gadgets and Gizmos

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3191920;
    I wouldn't cook broccoli without those steamers and I eat broccoli all the time. It's so easy and the broccoli always comes out perfectly. I had a co-worker who kept the micro steamer in her desk and used it to heat up a can of soup for lunch every day. I've only ever steamed veggies in it. Still, it's the best $6 (or was it less?) I ever spent!

Can you get those steamers in a store, or something similar? I've never used one, I just steam broccoli by putting a little water in a pot, throwing in the broccoli, and seasoning it a little with salt and garlic powder (you don't taste the garlic, but it seems to really bring out the flavor).
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I never cook broccoli any way except steamed. My kids love it that way - they eat it without any added salt, just tossed in a bit of margarine. (Actually, I cook pretty much all veggies by steaming.) I have a very nice small steamer pot my mom bought me, with a metal basket, but I used to use a cheapo plastic one that would fit in any size pot. The metal doesn't stain the way the plastic does, though. You can buy either kind in any store that sells small appliances. I also have an electric steamer (it has a rice basket as well - I can't cook rice in a pot either) but I don't bother pulling it out unless I'm cooking a large quantity of vegetables, or something that doesn't fit well in a pot, like asparagus.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy;3192037;
    Can you get those steamers in a store, or something similar? I've never used one, I just steam broccoli by putting a little water in a pot, throwing in the broccoli, and seasoning it a little with salt and garlic powder (you don't taste the garlic, but it seems to really bring out the flavor).
    I have been using the Ziplock Zip n Steam bags to steam my fresh veggies. They are great. One medium bag holds just enough vegies for the two of us. And nothing to wash!!

what are you watching? iguanachocolate's Avatar

i wa wondering if those worked, Pugmom, maybe I will give them a try.

and what is this Pampered Chef y'all keep talking about? Is it like the old time Tupperware parties?
    A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it. ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy;3192037;
    I don't know if you can find something like them in a store, but Pampered Chef sells their products online now. Here's a link to the Micro Cooker I use:
    https://www.pamperedchef.com/ordering/prod_details.tpc?prodId=250&wo rds=micro%20cooker
    I just can't bring myself to use those steamer bags. I hate the idea of using it once and then just throwing it out. I can't imagine that they're biodegradable. I've had this PC cooker for 8 years now and it's still great - cleans easily and, since it's black, it doesn't stain. Plus, even with shipping, it's probably just over $10.

IC - Yep, Pampered Chef does home parties just like Tupperware. They also sell on their website: The Pampered Chef, Ltd.. Many of their products are really good quality and pretty reasonably priced.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by PugMum;3191857;
    I bought those Debbie Meyer "Green Bags". They are type of a plastic bag that are supposed to keep your produce fresh longer.
    DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!
    We went to our Farmer's Market last Tuesday and bought some extra peaches that were not quite ripe so we could put them in the "green bags" thinking they'd last until the weekend. They were unevenly mushy after two days. YUCK!

Now IF anyone has used them and had GOOD luck with them PLEASE let me know. I may very likely have done something wrong!
    We love the green bags. I had some leftover fresh Italian flat leaf parsley and it stayed fresh for over 2 weeks in the green bag. We use them for bananas, and even though they still get the little brown spots on them, the fruit itself is stays good longer.

We also heard somewhere that bananas keep longer if you separate them when you get them home rather than keep them all attached to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by PugMum
    I have been using the Ziplock Zip n Steam bags to steam my fresh veggies. They are great. One medium bag holds just enough vegies for the two of us. And nothing to wash!!
    Those things are fabulous! I even rinse them out and re-use them. I haven't tried it more than twice, but it works fine.

I bought a nonstick pot from Crate and Barrel about a year ago. The lid has a metal band which extends about an inch into the pot and has two sets of holes, a smaller set and a larger set. It's not big enough for a whole box of pasta, but probably big enough for two servings, and I love that it's so easy to drain the water without using an extra strainer or anything. I just saw it on sale at the outlet for $25; I think I paid $40 and it was well worth it!

I've always wondered about the green bags and if they really worked or not. It's good to hear they do work. I may order some now. We always buy produce and it ends up wilting or getting moldy before we've even used half of it.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Premium Member

We got our green bags in Walgreens.

So while I am fascinated about the bags and this info has been interesting to read, I had a question I posted just before the bag comments about food mills for making tomato sauce, soup, applesauce, etc. I think my query got buried in the bag convo. With a garden full of tomatoes, I am curious what you gadgeteers know about food mills that can strain the seeds and make the sauce a smooth consistency? Sorry to pester you all if you don't have an answer to this, but I wonder if anyone has advice on such a device? Specifically, how to buy one, what features are the most useful, finishes, etc. Thanks so much!

+ Reply to Thread