+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 45 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Kitchen Gadgets and Gizmos

what are you watching? iguanachocolate's Avatar

Re: Kitchen Gadgets and Gizmos

yes, i find that it does, Luvs.
    A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it. ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958

I have a mini-Cuisinart food processor that I've never used. I keep meaning to -- I chop onions and garlic for just about everything I cook. The boyfriend recently got a full-sized food processor and we made salsa and were so impressed with ourselves and how easy it was. So I'm going to try my mini one today to chop onions for pasta sauce.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I think we probably have the same food processor, Lucy. Mine is the Cuisinart Mini-Prep. I didn't use it for a while and just got it back out a few weeks ago to make pesto. I used it quite a bit when I got it, but then kind of forgot about it. You can't put all of the basil in at once - I just stuff it in and chop it down and then add more - but it came out wonderfully. I also used to make apple sauce in it. I bought little red delicious apples - the kind they sell in bags at the store. Those tend to be very sweet. I just peeled the apples, quartered them and parboiled them before popping them in the food processor. It makes just enough to fit in a regular size apple sauce jar and I never felt like I needed to add sugar.

My favorite Pampered Chef product is the micro steamer. It looks like a saucepan, only it's plastic. The lid snaps on and is vented. I steam all of my veggies in it and they come out perfectly. I'm sure the PC reps hate me at parties when they ask everyone to talk about their favorite PC product. My three faves don't come to $10. I like that steamer, the little white paring knife ($1) and the bamboo tongs (probably $3) you use to get bread out of the toaster.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I made fresh tomato & basil soup last night. What I realized as I was making it was that a food mill would sure be nice. I have never used one and don't know much about them. Is there a minimum quality one needs in a food mill to get good use out of it? I have been on Amazon to browse and see a wide variety of prices, features and finishes. Does anyone have an opinion on food mills? There are still plenty of tomatoes growing out back so now is the time for me to act.

ETA - I have a small kitchen so I acquire gadgets only if they could be very useful

FORT Fogey

I bought those Debbie Meyer "Green Bags". They are type of a plastic bag that are supposed to keep your produce fresh longer.
    DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!
    We went to our Farmer's Market last Tuesday and bought some extra peaches that were not quite ripe so we could put them in the "green bags" thinking they'd last until the weekend. They were unevenly mushy after two days. YUCK!

Now IF anyone has used them and had GOOD luck with them PLEASE let me know. I may very likely have done something wrong!

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3191817;
    I'm sure the PC reps hate me at parties when they ask everyone to talk about their favorite PC product. My three faves don't come to $10. I like that steamer, the little white paring knife ($1) and the bamboo tongs (probably $3) you use to get bread out of the toaster.
    Don't forget the 75 cent citrus peeler - my FAVE PC item! I love those white paring knives. I buy a bunch of those at each party I go to.

I have the 2 steamers from them and I always forget about them! I need to pull them out.

I wouldn't cook broccoli without those steamers and I eat broccoli all the time. It's so easy and the broccoli always comes out perfectly. I had a co-worker who kept the micro steamer in her desk and used it to heat up a can of soup for lunch every day. I've only ever steamed veggies in it. Still, it's the best $6 (or was it less?) I ever spent!

I have about four of those white paring knives. They're especially good for slicing mushrooms, since they're so thin. I have another, pricier PC knife. It's one of the ones that comes in it's own sheath. I use that knife all the time. The sheath has a little sharpener built in, so you can sharpen it whenever you remove it.

I have a friend who bought some of those Green Bags and she loves them. I may try them and see how they work for me since I buy so much fresh produce. I hate having to rush to make sure everything gets eaten.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar

my Mom uses the green bags and said they work great - you do have to wipe them out if you see condensation building up - they need to stay dry on the inside.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by marybethp;3191983;
    my Mom uses the green bags and said they work great - you do have to wipe them out if you see condensation building up - they need to stay dry on the inside.
    I had read about them needing to stay dry inside and as soon as I noticed the condensation and went to wipe them out, the peaches that were in it were mushy.
    Do you know if your mother keeps the green bagged fruit and veggies in the refrigerator or out on the countertop?
    Thanks for the in put. Right now I plan to give the rest of the bags to my sister, she is the head of the Home Ec. dept at the HS. They can experiment!

I read about Green Bags in Consumer Reports. The article said that they worked really well for bananas but that they didn't notice much difference in freshness with other fruits or veggies. I've never tried them myself.

+ Reply to Thread