+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Kitchen Gadgets and Gizmos

Re: Kitchen Gadgets and Gizmos

Thanks mrd for the post about the cast iron seasoning! I will definitely do this to our new pans!!
    Yup, with donuts!!

I also have a Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer and have to agree it's a great piece of kitchen equipment. It saves so much time when I bake. You can just ingredients in it and walk away to grab something else while it's mixing. I love mine. I wish it was a cool color though.

MRD- I don't know what size Le Creuset pot you are looking for but I just got a small one for my birthday. It's a a 2 3/4 quart pot, oval shaped one. Williams and Sonoma has them on sale now. The round one is $100 and the oval is $75. It's not a huge one, but perfect for cooking recipes for two or even three people. Some of the other sizes are also marked down right now, but the guy told me they are way overstocked on the small ones and that's why they are on sale. They are a pretty good deal, mine was 50% off and I love it. I've only had it for about two weeks and have used it a ton. I just got a new cookbook and it has recipes that you put everything in the pot and cook it in the oven for 45 minutes. It's perfect for all those recipes.

Kitchen Aid Stand Mixers rock. I've had mine for about 12 years and I can't imagine baking without it.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

You guys are oh so much more accomplished than I. I can't cook, but I can bake.. so I like my little simple baking tools like my Oxo bowls, or my Wilton bowls that have little rubber "legs" of sorts on them that keep the bowl tilted to the side so I don't have to prop them up with a towel underneath.

Then I like my cutesy little things like my Alessi bottle opener that looks like a cat, and my Alessi butter dish that looks like a cruise ship and the smokestack is actually a little butter knife. Then there's the little salt and pepper shaker shaped like a wrestler with a barbell that I ordered from Perpetual Kid after I saw it on an episode of I Want That Kitchens!

Y'all and your fancy food processors and pans. Pshaw... (I do have a KitchenAid Mixer... )
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner;3190354;
    Kitchen Aid Stand Mixers rock. I've had mine for about 12 years and I can't imagine baking without it.
    I love mine. I brought it back from Chile and bought a 220/110 converter which is a bit cumbersome, but it was the one appliance I wasn't going to leave behind. Plus it was a gift

Thanks for the cast-iron seasoning info, mrd. I admit I'm leery of never washing a pan, but I know people have used them that way for a long time so I'm going to try to get over my fear. I've never bought lard in my life, as I'm not much of a baker. But I think I'm going to give it a go.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

So much to comment on...

Love my kitchenaid mixer. It is great for baking as several have mentioned.

Cookware: I bought a set from QVC of their hard andonized stuff. It is wonderful. Does a great job for sauteing and browning stuff. Great for eggs etc. I only use a drop or two of oil, and very easy cleanup. I think my set of 9 pieces cost about $150 and it looks as good as the day I bought it.

Knives: Finally got a set of nice knives for my birthday last year and learned how to sharpen them myself. OMG it makes such a difference in my enjoyment of cooking.

Cast iron: I have a couple of skillets I use. Sometimes I will use a dab of soap for cleanup...depends on what I've cooked in it. Hey an idea: maybe Jerry in the BBhouse doesn't use soap because his wife trained him not to use it for cast iron....
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

I would love to have the ability to sharpen my own knives! I have a fantastic Chef's knife that is getting massively dull and I am wondering if it would be easier to just get a new one than find someone to sharpen it?
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3190399;
    Cookware: I bought a set from QVC of their hard andonized stuff. It is wonderful. .
    That's what I have and I love it! I'm used to heavy pots and pans from being in the restaurant business all these years. When I use most other cookware it's like I'm cooking with toy stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetNerd;3190604;
    I am wondering if it would be easier to just get a new one than find someone to sharpen it?
    Krogers used to sharpen knives for their customers. Ask your local grocer if they do.

MRD

A friend of my husband's GAVE me his Kitchen aid stand mixer a couple months ago. His uncle works for the company and gave him a new one and he's only used it a couple times in 5 years, so he gave it to me. I LOVE IT! I've wanted one for so long and now I have it. And it makes whipped cream in NO TIME! Got to love THAT!

BTW, I used Crisco to re-season my skillets, not lard.

I dont' use soap on my Pampered Chef stones either. Those things are the greates for baking and casseroles and stuff.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread