+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Kitchen Gadgets and Gizmos

Re: Kitchen Gadgets and Gizmos

Bug, I've had mine for about 5 years now and no signs of peeling. My sister has had her set for about 8 years, and hers look brand new as well. I don't think Calphalon are known for peeling.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;3188953;
    DR - what brand is you mini-processor? I'm thinking I want one now.

I love my Santoku, I've had it several years now and it is just as sharp as the day I got it. My knife skills are pretty darned good now.

MRD - I've got some Le Creuset pieces, I absolutely love them. My favorite is the 7 1/4 Qt pot - it holds huge batches of chili, spaghetti sauce and I fry in it occasionally. It took me awhile to save up enough to buy it, but it was so worth it.
    I want one of those and a couple smaller saucepans.

I have several cast iron skillets, so I don't need a Le Creuset skillet. I actually thik I could get by with the big pot and 2 smaller saucepans as that is all I use now. I have the pampered chef cookware now. I don't like it, but I can't afford to replace it.

I should check around and see if I can find the Le Creuset pieces. I have actually seen them at Tuesday Morning, but our TM store is so unorganized, that I hate going in there. Where did you get yours? And how expensive was it? (I know that's a crass question, you don't have to answer it, but I was kind of wanting a ball park figure before I get my heart really set on Le Creuset)

ETA: they can go in the oven too right?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD

Cast iron is easy to treat. Get some crisco and grease those babies up and put in the oven. I forget how long, but I'll look it up for you. Then you NEVER ever use soap on them or put in the dishwasher. I wash mine with water only and then dry it and always give it a good spray of Pam to keep it well seasoned. One of mine is about 120 years old!!!! It's my favorite.

And it's the most non-stick cookware I own.

Quote Originally Posted by Yardgnome;3188985;
    Bug, I've had mine for about 5 years now and no signs of peeling. My sister has had her set for about 8 years, and hers look brand new as well. I don't think Calphalon are known for peeling.
    Thanks YG. I may check out prices on Calphalon products. We really need new pots/pans. Our handle on our favorite sauce pan twirls because the bolt inside is wearing away. Not fun when it's full of sauce!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;3188953;
    DR - what brand is you mini-processor? I'm thinking I want one now.
    Marley, this is the one I bought:
    Black & DeckerŪ Appliances - HC306 One Touch Chopper - Mince, Chop Food :: Black & DeckerŪ
    Like I said, I paid mine $10, but I bought it in Canada, so you might find it for less.

MDR, Le Creuset are VERY expensive, like $200-300 each, depending on the size. My husband once wanted to get me one for Xmas or my birthday, but when I saw the price I settled for a Emile Henry. It's pretty much the same thing, but it's ceramic instead of cast iron. It's also cheaper (a little over half price), although still expensive.

I just bought a Calphalon grill pan yesterday. When it is just me and my son at home, I don't always want to heat up the BBQ. It worked really well to grill tandoori chicken I made. I did a little research on the internet, and some nut bought all the grilling pans and tested them by grilling pieces of wood. His conclusion was that the grilling pans with the wider lines (what do you call those things?), aluminum non stick, worked better to conduct the heat, and were easier to clean. I like the non stick since you can add very little oil, or use Pam. They come with a life time guarantee not to peel or buckle.

ETA: This may sound dumb, but I googled Santoku knives because it would be a great gift for my husband. There seems to be a large price range...so what's the difference, and what should I look for?
    Last edited by canuckinchile; 09-04-2008 at 05:12 PM.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose;3189038;
    Marley, this is the one I bought:
    Black & DeckerŪ Appliances - HC306 One Touch Chopper - Mince, Chop Food :: Black & DeckerŪ
    Like I said, I paid mine $10, but I bought it in Canada, so you might find it for less.

MDR, Le Creuset are VERY expensive, like $200-300 each, depending on the size. My husband once wanted to get me one for Xmas or my birthday, but when I saw the price I settled for a Emile Henry. It's pretty much the same thing, but it's ceramic instead of cast iron. It's also cheaper (a little over half price), although still expensive.
    Wow, that is hefty, but if they are good and you have them for life, then maybe a good investment. My SIL has one she got for a wedding present in 1971 and still uses it and it's still in great shape. So I'd say that they must hold up fairly well.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3188913;

I want a decent coffee maker, but dont' know what to buy. I had thought having one that had a coffee bean grinder built in would be nice, but that is what we got and hated that part of it. What a mess.
    I really like the Cuisinart Grind and Brew with the Stainless Insulated Carafe. You're right though, the Grinder is a pain in the butt to clean all the time, but you can use ground coffee and bypass it and still have the grinder when you're feeling ambitious... It's a great coffee maker... A little pricey, but very nice...
    Ingorance killed the Cat... Curiousity was framed!

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3188941;
    I have been looking into different sets of pots/pans created by Food Network chefs. They are so expensive so I just look and drool over them. Do you guys think that they are any better than some of the lines sold at major department stores?
    I think you get what you pay for with pots and pans... I lived with a hodge podge set of hand me downs from various sources... Typical just starting out bachelor stuff... Then I bought some really nice Emerilware Non Stick... It literally changed my life!! THey're just better made.... The heat better and more evenly, the non-stick is SO EASY to clean!! You basically just wipe it out! They've changed the Emeril line since I bought mine... I don't like the new ones with the glass tops as much... Mine came with stainless lids. I have a couple of pieces of his stainless too, I like them too... I think all of his are made by All Clad. THey compare to the top of the line Calphalon and they're much cheaper!

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;3189040;
    ETA: This may sound dumb, but I googled Santoku knives because it would be a great gift for my husband. There seems to be a large price range...so what's the difference, and what should I look for?
    I think a lot is personal preference. I bought the J.A. Henkel because I had a bunch of their knives and this one matched. They're high quality knives that hold their edge... One thing I like about them is the steel goes all the way through the handle where as cheaper knives the steel ends shortly after it goes into the handle... Mine has a bigger contoured handle that's easy to hold and very comfortable.

+ Reply to Thread