+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 37 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Kitchen Gadgets and Gizmos

Re: Kitchen Gadgets and Gizmos

I just made my first panini in the GFG and it was excellent! Black Forest ham, baby swiss and champagne mustard on fresh sourdough I'm in trouble!
    SugarMama likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I just made my first panini in the GFG and it was excellent! Black Forest ham, baby swiss and champagne mustard on fresh sourdough I'm in trouble!
    That sounds so good, Crit! is right.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    The only thing I don't like is cleaning it. I guess some models have removable grill plates, but mine doesn't. It takes more time to clean than it takes to cook something! All in all though, I'm happy with it and slightly horrified at how much fat drained off of the hamburger meat I used. At least it wasn't in the burger!

Critical, when I clean mine, I hang it over my sink (like it's the drip pan), plug it in to loosen the caked on food, unplug it when it's hot and then wash it with warm, soapy water. I'm careful not to get the cord wet. Sometimes I use a soft bristled cleaning brush to get the tough spots and I've never had an issue with the teflon coming off. The one I have now is 4 years old and still looks brand new.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

I usually put some wet paper towels in it right after I finish cooking and then close and unplug it. When I go back a little while later, a lot of the stuff that may have stuck to the grill wipes right off. The only time it was really a pain was all the grease from a burger. I washed it with hot soapy water and would think it was clean and then I'd see more grease. UGH! I DO wish I had one with the removable plates, especially in those kinds of situations but, all in all, it's not too hard to clean.

It's so nice to use in the summer because it generates so little heat. My kitchen is the hottest room in the house, so I avoid the stove and oven until late at night. I roasted a chicken last night that wasn't finished until after 10!
    JavaJo likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I've owned two Foreman grills, and both started peeling within a year or so. I only used non-stick Teflon type spatulas on it, too. It's such a healthy way to cook. I'd love to own one again, but am leary because of the non-stick plates peeling.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMama View Post
    Just made my first loaf of bread (all by hand, no mixer) in my little clay baker - the crust is wonderful! But I wonder if that shiny "gunk" on the bottom of my oven will come up in the self-cleaning cycle? My family is loving the texture of this bread

I've read that clay bakers absorb flavors so much that it's recommended you have one for baking bread and one for cooking meats and other dishes. That sounds reasonable. Can't wait till I can get another, larger one!
    I just got a still in the box, unused souffle clayware... about 8" round with high sides for $1 at a yard sale. I may not be making a lot of souffles, but I'm sure I'll find a use for it. I couldn't pass it up after our conversation here. Any suggestions? I got a bamboo steamer (unused, unopened) at another sale, again for a dollar. I know I'll use that.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I just got a still in the box, unused souffle clayware... about 8" round with high sides for $1 at a yard sale. I may not be making a lot of souffles, but I'm sure I'll find a use for it. I couldn't pass it up after our conversation here. Any suggestions? I got a bamboo steamer (unused, unopened) at another sale, again for a dollar. I know I'll use that.
    Holy Cow, those are great bargains! I never seem to get that lucky I live in an area where there are a lot of antique dealers and shops, so they hit the yard sales pretty early, maybe that's why getting there at 8 a.m. is too late!
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

They do that here, too, but they're not looking for cookware.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    They do that here, too, but they're not looking for cookware.
    true, true -- guess I just need to crawl out of bed earlier!
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Our office has become a fun place to be recently because of the addition of some kitchen gadgets! One of my co-workers brought his bread machine to work because he hadn't been using it since he bought it and I brought my cappuccino machine to work, figuring it would get more use here than at home. It's wonderful having the smell of freshly-baked bread in the air in the morning and having a slice of bread and cup of cappuccino with my co-workers around lunchtime, when the bread is ready.

Each of us is chipping in by buying bread mixes to bring to the office.

If I end up getting a new job, I hope my new office will be just as receptive to having a bread maker. I have my own bread machine at home and would be glad to bring it to the office.

+ Reply to Thread