+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 45 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Kitchen Gadgets and Gizmos

Re: Kitchen Gadgets and Gizmos

I had been wanting the new Libman Freedom mop. I liked it because you can mix and use your own cleaning solution in the spray bottle and it has a reusable cloth cleaning pad. You can either hand wash or wash the pad in the washing machine. Target had them on sale for $16.99. I had a $3.00 coupon, plus a mail in rebate. Jack pot! I love it. It worked great on all of my floors, vinyl, tile and hardwood. The trigger for the spray is in the handle and it sprays a light mist (good for my hardwood). It cleaned up easy, just poured out the left over solution and threw the cloth pad in with a cold wash load.

I'm venturing into new areas - today I bought a clay baker - NEW territory for me. I bought a small Romertopf (don't even know how to pronounce that ) #109, the smallest clay baker they make. My intention was to use it to bake bread. I stumbled upon someone's WOW reviews on a San Francisco Sourdough website.

But in reading the instructions, I recalled how a friend of mine brought me a meal after we came home from my son's brain tumor hospitalization (we were gone 2 weeks) - it was a roast cooked with onions and potatoes in a large clay baker, and it was the best roast/potato meal I'd ever eaten! Now I might ask for a larger one for Christmas!!!

Anybody here have a clay baker? Recipes that you love? Good/Bad experiences? Pitfalls to watch out for?

I'm scared about the washing part. One website says it's a good idea to wash it in a dishwasher. Another says to never wash it, just wipe it out. The information that came with the baker says to wash with water only and use a soft brush. Now I'm really confused and afraid to even touch it

Thanks for any ideas/helpers/recipes you can offer regarding clay bakers!
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

I have several sizes and you definitely don't want to wash it with soap! The clay absorbs the soap and can give your next dish a soapy flavor. You should oil it really well the first few times you use it. Did it come with a square plastic scraper? The ones from Pampered Chef do and that's all you need to scrape off any baked on stuff once you've given it a soak. Then scrub with water and brush and let dry. Have fun!
    Count your blessings!

What kind of oil do you use? Vegetable? Olive? Canola? Motor (just kidding)? Or does it not matter?
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

I use olive oil for almost everything, but I don't think it matters. You can even start with a couple of dishes that use a lot of butter or cheese and it will absorb some of the oils from those.
    Count your blessings!

Just made my first loaf of bread (all by hand, no mixer) in my little clay baker - the crust is wonderful! But I wonder if that shiny "gunk" on the bottom of my oven will come up in the self-cleaning cycle? My family is loving the texture of this bread

I've read that clay bakers absorb flavors so much that it's recommended you have one for baking bread and one for cooking meats and other dishes. That sounds reasonable. Can't wait till I can get another, larger one!

Hate to sound like a broken record, but do you ever go to yard sales or Salvation Army? I've seen them there for cheap!
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Hate to sound like a broken record, but do you ever go to yard sales or Salvation Army? I've seen them there for cheap!
    In my single days, many years ago, I loved going to yard sales - unfortunately, I live in such a rural area that they're few and far between. And the nearest Salvation Army to us is over an hour away.

After having used my George Foreman Grill for a few weeks now, I have to say, that I really love it...mostly. Everything I've cooked on it, from pork chops to hamburgers to fish, has turned out perfectly. Plus, it puts off very little heat, which is great in the summertime.

The only thing I don't like is cleaning it. I guess some models have removable grill plates, but mine doesn't. It takes more time to clean than it takes to cook something! All in all though, I'm happy with it and slightly horrified at how much fat drained off of the hamburger meat I used. At least it wasn't in the burger!

I have one of the stoneware pans from Pampered Chef and they always say to not use any soap and to cook things with fat in them, like Pillsbury refrigerated biscuits or rolls, for the first few times. My cousin has a pizza stone from PC that she loves. It's really seasoned now and the pizzas come out perfect every time.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Most of my stones are Pampered Chef, too, but I got one pretty inexpensively at the grocery store a couple months ago.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread