+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 37 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Kitchen Gadgets and Gizmos

Re: Kitchen Gadgets and Gizmos

Apparently, my mom ended up with a bunch of Kohl's cash or a really good Macy's coupons, because she bought me a George Foreman Grill. In spite of the fact that I have a tiny kitchen and have NO idea where I will put this thing, I'm excited about it because it's a healthier way of preparing meat. Still, the manual is terribly unhelpful.

Does anyone have a GF Grill? Any favorite meals/recipes? Can you use marinades or sauces on it or does that make it a nightmare to clean? The model I have doesn't have removable grill plates, so I can't just pull them off and soak them if they get gunked up. I read a tip that, after using it, you can place wet paper towels in the unplugged, but still hot, grill and that helps to get any stuck-on food off and that's sounds like a good idea.

I plan on buying a pack of turkey burgers and I'm going to get some squash to grill, but I'm feeling a bit timid about it.

Tips? Tricks? Recipes? Help!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Just experiment with foods you like! Especially while it's brand new, the food won't stick much. I like to marinate huge mushroom caps and grill them. I'm not having much luck with "garden" burgers.
    Count your blessings!

Critical:

I had a GF once, it was great! For something without much natural oil, such as a turkey burger, I remember putting some light flavored oil on a paper towel and wiping it on the grill first (it's non-stick, right?). I never had any problems with cleanup...even after some "crunchy" mistakes

I remember I'd do thick tomato slices, burgers were good, just about anything really -- you just have to watch the timing.

The only reason I don't have/use one anymore is my family is bigger, and I always cook a LOT of food at once. Have fun
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

The only veggie burgers I like are the ones from Boca or Morningstar Farms. I've never been a fan of the Veggie Burger brand. I guess I need to be tricked into it with the products that look the most like the real thing!

I found a site that has all kinds of info about recipes and cooking times for the GFG. I'd just like to be able to use it as much as I can without getting bored. Having some recipes will help at first. I don't want to use it just for turkey burgers!

In case anyone else is interested: George Foreman Grill Recipes It's not a huge site, but some of the recipes looked good and there are several charts that give cooking times, which I found valuable.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Hubby and I have a storage-challenged apartment; we had a GF, but eventually gave it to Goodwill because it wasn't useful enough to take up so much space. We do better with our actual grill, which we can use year 'round in SoCal, and with our Circulon grill pan for when we don't want to fire up the grill. All we really used the GF for eventually was panninis (really good, nicely grilled ones), because it was such a pain in the tusch to clean after anything else.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    Hubby and I have a storage-challenged apartment; we had a GF, but eventually gave it to Goodwill because it wasn't useful enough to take up so much space. We do better with our actual grill, which we can use year 'round in SoCal, and with our Circulon grill pan for when we don't want to fire up the grill. All we really used the GF for eventually was panninis (really good, nicely grilled ones), because it was such a pain in the tusch to clean after anything else.
    Unfortunately, I would have to grill on my front porch, since I don't have a patio or any private outside area. I'm going to have to go through the cabinets and figure out what's getting ousted to make room for this thing.

I did a boneless pork chop in the GFG for dinner and it came out perfectly cooked. I marinated it in teriyaki, so the grill plates are a bit crusty because of the sugar. I followed the tip I read and put wet paper towels in there. Here's hoping that works!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Unfortunately, I would have to grill on my front porch, since I don't have a patio or any private outside area...
    Is your porch enclosed? Because we have a very small balcony (we're on the second floor), and we use a small gas grill.

Nope - nothing is private, so it would all be out on my stoop and I wouldn't want to leave a little grill out there..... and there's no place for it in the house!

The GFG is going to be the best alternative for me, especially once I find a place to put it!

I wouldn't want to leave a grill out on a stoop, either, and it's too "messy" (even when cleaned) to bring it in -- I agree.
    Hmmm -- trying to think of a way to make a GFG a fashionable design statement...

I wouldn't care about leaving it on the counter if I had more counter space! As it is, my cabinets are packed. Time to clean out some things I never use!

I sort of wished my mom had bought me the red one - then it would look cute sitting on the counter (my kitchen is red, black and white). The plain old black one isn't nearly as stylish! I've only seen the red one at Target and she got mine at Macy's. Otherwise, she probably would have bought me the red one!

+ Reply to Thread