+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 37 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Kitchen Gadgets and Gizmos

Re: Kitchen Gadgets and Gizmos

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMama View Post
    That sounds great, kind of like my friend - she has a slicer, too, and dehydrates almost everything! I want quality, but I don't want to spend more than I really need to (in other words, I don't want to buy a backhoe when all I need is a shovel ) What brand is yours?
    Mine is called the sausage maker and has 12 big racks in it. They have every size on that site and I am sure if you call them and tell them what you are wanting to do with it they can recommend a good one. I make a lot of jerky at a time is why I got a big one.

I have some American Harvest ones and they will dry fruit good but it jusst takes longer than the one I have.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

I have seen a lot of food dehydrators at yard sales. If you're looking for one, you might try that first. They go for almost nothing! In fact, if you like kitchen gadgets, try yard sales!!! People seem to get things like ice cream makers, salad spinners, immersable blenders, etc. and then never use them. Once the thrill is gone, they just want to get rid of them.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    ...In fact, if you like kitchen gadgets, try yard sales!!! People seem to get things like ice cream makers, salad spinners, immersable blenders, etc. and then never use them. Once the thrill is gone, they just want to get rid of them.
    That's a great way to try out new kitchen gadgets, too. Buy one on the cheap at a garage sale, try it out -- maybe it's the one you will keep forever; maybe you'll find it would be worth it to spend the money on an upgrade. Or maybe you'll discover it's not what you expected and, "Oh well, at least I didn't spend a small fortune on this thing!"
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

At a yard sale yesterday I got a really simple gadget that I love already. It's an oblong mesh strainer with handles that pull out horizontally so you can rest it suspended over the sink. I used it for the first time for a bag of radishes and they're sitting there draining now. I just started a diet change that involves a lot of fruits and veggies so I think I'll be using it multiple times a day. And there's something visually pleasing about the simplicity of it.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    At a yard sale yesterday I got a really simple gadget that I love already. It's an oblong mesh strainer with handles that pull out horizontally so you can rest it suspended over the sink. I used it for the first time for a bag of radishes and they're sitting there draining now. I just started a diet change that involves a lot of fruits and veggies so I think I'll be using it multiple times a day. And there's something visually pleasing about the simplicity of it.
    I have one of those and LOVE IT!! No more losing pasta down the sink trying to drain it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Okay, last week I got a Nesco dehydrator (700 watt, 75PR). After trying banana chip recipes...all which turned out terribly...I called my friend, who advised me just plain bananas, no honey, no lemon, nothing added result in perfect banana chips. She was right - check that off the list. Now I'm trying jerky, and I need some advice because my dehydrator friend doesn't do jerky.

Does ground chuck have to be "freshly ground, 85-95% lean" -- or can you use the store bought 80/20 ground chuck? I've actually tried it, but I'm not sure it's going to last. so I stuck them in the refrigerator
    Texture is wonderful, taste is awesome, but I can tell right away I can't eat it...too salty for my high blood pressure But my family can eat it. Anyway, does the higher fat content make it "unstorable"? How do you know if it's bacteria free? thanks!
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMama View Post
    Okay, last week I got a Nesco dehydrator (700 watt, 75PR). After trying banana chip recipes...all which turned out terribly...I called my friend, who advised me just plain bananas, no honey, no lemon, nothing added result in perfect banana chips. She was right - check that off the list. Now I'm trying jerky, and I need some advice because my dehydrator friend doesn't do jerky.

Does ground chuck have to be "freshly ground, 85-95% lean" -- or can you use the store bought 80/20 ground chuck? I've actually tried it, but I'm not sure it's going to last. so I stuck them in the refrigerator
    Texture is wonderful, taste is awesome, but I can tell right away I can't eat it...too salty for my high blood pressure But my family can eat it. Anyway, does the higher fat content make it "unstorable"? How do you know if it's bacteria free? thanks!

I make my jerky with rump roast. I don't use ground beef. The marinade I use is salty but is great tasting. I keep mine in the fridge and will keep for quite a long time unless eaten first.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

I grind my wheat (have a Wondermill), but I am very sensitive to high-pitched sounds, and my beloved wheat grinder sends me over the edge! So I bought a counter-mount hand grinder. I had "Little House on the Prairie" dreams in my head, patting myself on the back for being smart and getting one - it might take longer, but the quiet sound would be a fair trade, right?

Well, I tried it for the first time today. I know that tomorrow I'm going to have arms like Popeye! I can't do this everyday, emergencies only! It did a great job grinding the wheat, but it took forever, and I think I tore a rotator cuff (well, just a bit of an exaggeration there). I think I'll just use my shooting ear protectors and stick with my Wondermill.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

What about just foam earplugs?
    Count your blessings!

I thought about those - we buy them by the box. I'd hate to have to use and throw away a pair every day.

+ Reply to Thread