+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 45 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Kitchen Gadgets and Gizmos

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Re: Kitchen Gadgets and Gizmos

We were "gifted" some fresh strawberries today, so maybe our next batch will be more strawberry ice cream instead of the coffee.

This time though, I think we will put the machine in the laundry room and close the door. Yes, it works well . . . like a cement mixer (and at about the same volume!)
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

My daughter came home from culinary school and left for her Yellowstone Lake Hotel (kitchen) internship the next day, leaving everything in my mudroom. Everything includes her ice cream maker. Yay! It's mine for the summer. There is a kind of gelato (Inspirations) that Hannaford makes that comes in a hard plastic pint container with a screw on lid. I save those to store the ice cream after it's made.
    Count your blessings!

Just wanted to correct myself that the hard plastic gelato containers are Talentt not Inspirations. So they must be available other places than Hannafords. It's really good gelato, and the containers are a handy size for leftovers and packed lunches.
    Count your blessings!

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

My favorite kitchen gadget is my Vitamix. It replaces a blender, food processor, and hand mixer.

I can make hot soup in it (not stove required) and ice cream. I can do bread dough in it and even grind my own flour.

Here's some recipes from the Vitamix site:

Vitamix 52 Food Feats - Demonstrations so you can eat healthy, live healthy and feel better!
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Food Dehydrator

I'm looking for one, and there are so many on the market I'm overwhelmed. Anybody here have one or use one?

A friend of mine at Christmas gave me dehydrated orange slices dipped in chocolate, and I thought I'd died and gone to Heaven!

Now another friend of mine's husband has lost a lot of weight... he's started buying all of his breads made from minimally-sprouted, dehydrated wheat. I've learned a lot of people are doing it themselves (cheaper), but you need a dehydrator.

I've been looking online, but there are SO many to choose from, and with our finances being stretched to the breaking point, I don't want to waste a dime! I know I could buy one of those $50 ones, but I also don't want to get frustrated and go buy a $250 later.

Help?
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

FORT Regular

i've been using a nesco for a few years
    <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FFVJ3C/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=la nxkai-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217153&cr eative=399349&creativeASIN=B00 0FFVJ3C">Nesco FD-75PR 700-Watt Food Dehydrator</a>
    That one is a bit newer than what i got but it works well for jerky, but clean up is nasty. Cuz of the grates you have bits and pieces of meat hanging throw the slits, i mean i've only had this one but it works well just clean up is a chore, they do have plastic inserts you can put on top of the grates that are easier to clean up, but if you have juicy meats to deydrate, the juices just end up falling on the sides and sticking to the grates anyway.

SugarMamaa= whatever you do don't buy a cheap one..Ronco makes one for about 50$ and really the only thing you can dehydrate on it are peas. You need to spend a bit more to get a good one. Make sure you whatever you put in there is thinly and evenly sliced.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality View Post
    SugarMamaa= whatever you do don't buy a cheap one..Ronco makes one for about 50$ and really the only thing you can dehydrate on it are peas. You need to spend a bit more to get a good one. Make sure you whatever you put in there is thinly and evenly sliced.
    Thanks - I have a friend who has a monster $300 one, and she dehydrates almost everything, even has a vacuum sealer thingymajig! All I want to really do is dehydrate the minimally sprouted grains (to be ground into flour) and drying my fresh herbs (and maybe trying those yummy chocolate dipped orange slices, too)

I'm not interested in dehydrating meats or things like that. I want something that can handle small pieces (like grains), be efficient, but not break the bank, either.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Google dehydrators and you will find all sizes and prices. I have a monster one but I make jerky and I need it. I buy mine from Pleasant Hill Grains. They are the best to deal with. I have had issues with a meat slicer and they took it back and was able to get another one and they have helped me with replacement parts too.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Quote Originally Posted by nennie View Post
    Google dehydrators and you will find all sizes and prices. I have a monster one but I make jerky and I need it. I buy mine from Pleasant Hill Grains. They are the best to deal with. I have had issues with a meat slicer and they took it back and was able to get another one and they have helped me with replacement parts too.
    That sounds great, kind of like my friend - she has a slicer, too, and dehydrates almost everything! I want quality, but I don't want to spend more than I really need to (in other words, I don't want to buy a backhoe when all I need is a shovel ) What brand is yours?

+ Reply to Thread