+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 45 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Kitchen Gadgets and Gizmos

MRD

Re: Kitchen Gadgets and Gizmos

OMG, I have been to Jack the Dipper in Sylva.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Anyone have a pasta machine? I'm thinking of getting one. (Oh, who am I kidding? I've pretty much already decided I'm going to get one, now it's just down to picking out which one.)

I'm leaning towards the Imperia manual machine....Amazon has them for around $64.

Thoughts? Tips? Advice?

I have a pasta machine. I've had it for over um, 30 yrs. Yikes. I don't even know the make of it.

Mine looks like this below. I used to use it all the time. Then found it was easier to just purchase home made pasta sheets if I wanted to (or ask my Mother for some, she always has some in the freezer . However, last Christmas I decided to make homemade lasagne with my machine. There is no comparison to the store bought pasta, its fabulous. I have since used it several more times, for lasagne and manicotti. If I get ambitious, I'll make ravioli, I used to make those alot, years ago. I know now, there are the ones that actually mix the dough as well, I do it the old fashion way. Flour, make a well, add eggs, water mix with hands.

Thanks, GuardianAngel! I just saw your post this morning, but yesterday I ordered an Imperia pasta machine that looks pretty much like the picture you posted. I can't wait 'til it comes and I can try it!

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel;3972510;
    I have a pasta machine. I've had it for over um, 30 yrs. Yikes. I don't even know the make of it.

Mine looks like this below. I used to use it all the time. Then found it was easier to just purchase home made pasta sheets if I wanted to (or ask my Mother for some, she always has some in the freezer . However, last Christmas I decided to make homemade lasagne with my machine. There is no comparison to the store bought pasta, its fabulous. I have since used it several more times, for lasagne and manicotti. If I get ambitious, I'll make ravioli, I used to make those alot, years ago. I know now, there are the ones that actually mix the dough as well, I do it the old fashion way. Flour, make a well, add eggs, water mix with hands.

OMG! That's exactly the pasta machine my mother bought about 35 years ago. I wonder what ever happened to it. I'm pretty sure she hasn't used it in 20 years. We used to use it to make noodles for my grandmother's old fashion chicken and noodles as well as for spaghetti and ravioli.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Yup yup! Looking at the machine, to the right, is the smooth part to make sheets. Next to that, going left and up a bit, you can see the "threads", when you put the sheets through that, it comes out as fettucini. Next to that is the fine spaghetti, which often times my mother will make batches of that, freeze it, once frozen you can just crush them to put in soups. The fettucini can be twirled into "birds nest" shapes and frozen in that manner. When you want to cook them, frozen, drop them in boiling water and they cook in no time.

I have to add, that the reason I decided to make it at Christmas time is because my son and his g/f are great cooks, they bought the sheets several weeks prior to Christmas to make manicotti. I thought, I need to teach these kids how do make homemade so the tradition isn't lost. I have for years, made him part of my tomatoe sauce canning, again so the tradition isn't lost! His g/f joins us every year now, and they both look forward to it.

Amazon.com: World Cuisine A4982799 Tri-Blade Plastic Spiral Vegetable Slicer: Kitchen & Dining

My chef daughter requested this for her birthday and it looks like fun! (I just ordered it). A lot of the comments for the product were from people who eat raw foods, and since there seems to be an current interest here in vegan/vegetarianism, I thought I'd throw this out there.
    Count your blessings!

That is really a neat gadget. It would be a great gift for anyone!

I'll have to report back on it next week. She'll be home for spring break. She described how they used it in class, wrapping salmon and asparagus in potato spirals made with that machine and deep frying it for a short amount of time so the potatoes are crisp and the fish and asparagus are tender. Sounds good.
    Count your blessings!

I just read through this whole thread...heh. I'll confess to being a total kitchen gadget person - almost as much as I'm an electronics gadget person. I've gotten better about not collecting random things but I do have a few things that I couldn't live without.

My mandoline - love love love it. I use a knife for some things but when I need consistency in my slices, the mandoline rocks, especially when slicing thin. I particularly use it for onions (French onion soup, onion tarts) and potatoes (kettle chips, au gratin, etc.)

My Kitchen-Aid mixer. Got it at an outlet store for a song and even though I'm single, I use it a lot. So easy to dump things into the bowl and turn it on.

Food processor - never though I'd use it as much as I do, but use it I do, especially for grating.

My cookware. I researched cookware long and hard. All-clad was out of my price range so I started researching possible comparables. Found an article in Cook's Illustrated that compared All-clad, Calphalon Tri-Ply, Rachael Ray and a couple others. I was leaning toward Cuisinart Multi-clad Pro, which was on sale at Amazon at the time. Then I read the comparison review. All-clad was rated 3/3 stars across the board, but some random cookware I'd never heard of also rated 3/3 stars across the board, except for one category.

The result? I purchased 10-piece set of Tramontina Tri-Ply Clad cookware on eBay for less than $250 - but I don't see it much on eBay anymore. Wal-mart also sells Tramontina Tri-Ply via walmart.com (although I know some people prefer not to shop at Wal-mart) but I'm here to tell you, this stuff is FABULOUS. I do have one All-clad skillet that I found at a thrift store for $2 and my aunt has a ton of All-clad and I honestly can't tell the difference. Last time I was at her house for dinner, I took a skillet down for her to try and she agreed there was little to no difference. Tramontina is induction ready as well. There is also an 8-piece set, but the pans were smaller than I cared for so I went with the 10-piece set. I can't tell you how in love with my cookware I am - if I could marry it, I might!

There are different kinds of Tramontina - they have some with a tri-ply disk on the bottom (I think this is called Prima), some that are just basic stainless steel, and then the tri-ply clad, which is fully clad, like All-clad. The only real confusion for me was where it is manufactured. Some seems to be manufactured in Brazil, some in China and some in the US in Wisconsin. Mine say Made in Brazil on the bottom. I took a magnet to each pan and they are all induction ready, except for the one All-clad pan I have. I don't have an induction stove, but nice to know I have cookware that will work.

Oh, and coffee. I love my French press, love my moka pot, but also tried a new gadget last summer called an Aerobie Aeropress. Best coffee I ever drank.

I've always liked to dabble in cooking, but having the right tools has really made me enjoy and look forward to cooking.

+ Reply to Thread