+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Kitchen Gadgets and Gizmos

MRD

Re: Kitchen Gadgets and Gizmos

I have always made room for my food processor on the counter because I use it almost every day. The last one I bought, I even upgraded to a bigger bowl. I used to have a mini-one, but I hardly ever used it, and now I have the MB and use that.

I literally don't think I could cook anymore if I didn't have a food processor.

My problem now is I hate our coffee pot. It's a cheapy. We've had it several years. We bought a "better" one last year and hated it, so good thing I had saved the old one.

I want a decent coffee maker, but dont' know what to buy. I had thought having one that had a coffee bean grinder built in would be nice, but that is what we got and hated that part of it. What a mess.

I have a coffee press and I love the coffee it makes. I am thinking I may even try an old fashioned percolator. Can you still buy those? Why I like the coffee press better is the flavor is better as the coffee and water have more contact than a drip maker. But I like the hotplate on the dripmaker for keeping the coffee warm which the press doesn't do? Does a percalator keep the pot warm after it's percolated?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

The coffee press is the best way to have coffee. I loved the one I used to have but it got broken at the office and I never got a new one.
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3188917;
    The coffee press is the best way to have coffee. I loved the one I used to have but it got broken at the office and I never got a new one.
    Target has one now for $19.99. I know as I was pricing one for a gift.

It's not really a gadget, but good kitchen knives. A couple of years ago I got a set of Wusthof knives for Christmas. It has been such a difference from having just cheap knives I got when I moved into my first place. They are something that make cooking, and prep work to cooking so much easier. Every couple of years now, I will go and pick out a new knife to add to the collection for my birthday or Christmas.

I must be crazy, but I do use my food processor a lot. I hate cleaning the thing, but I drag it out for certain things I make. I just wish I could throw the whole thing in the dishwasher.

I have been looking into different sets of pots/pans created by Food Network chefs. They are so expensive so I just look and drool over them. Do you guys think that they are any better than some of the lines sold at major department stores?
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

One day, I hope to have a set of Le Crueset pots and pans. I know two different people that have them and love them and I have used their pots at their houses and love them too.
    I will never buy anything non-stick again and I am reluctant to buy any of the chef endorsed pots and pans because of the price and not knowing anything about them.

We bought a set of cast iron pots/pans years ago. We've never used them because we got them at a yard sale and I can't tell if they have been used enough. I know you need to "treat" them to enhance the flavor but can never remember how to do that.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Premium Member

DR - what brand is you mini-processor? I'm thinking I want one now.

I love my Santoku, I've had it several years now and it is just as sharp as the day I got it. My knife skills are pretty darned good now.

MRD - I've got some Le Creuset pieces, I absolutely love them. My favorite is the 7 1/4 Qt pot - it holds huge batches of chili, spaghetti sauce and I fry in it occasionally. It took me awhile to save up enough to buy it, but it was so worth it.
    Last edited by Marleybone; 09-04-2008 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3188941;
    I have been looking into different sets of pots/pans created by Food Network chefs. They are so expensive so I just look and drool over them. Do you guys think that they are any better than some of the lines sold at major department stores?
    I have Calphalon pans. They are sold at major department stores and I absolutely love them. You can use them on the stove and transfer them into the oven as well. They are nonstick and easy to clean and can go in the dishwasher.

The only thing I get worried about with them is scratching them. I usually don't use metal spoons, etc. in them to avoid scratches.

http://www.calphalon.com/calphalon/c...Id=CLCat100198

See every non-stick item I've ever bought has ended up getting ruined. I've done the no metal utensils thing, no hard spoons, etc. but they only last for maybe 5 years before they begin to peel.
    Yup, with donuts!!

+ Reply to Thread